Model Cars Magazine Forum

I am curious to know, how often do more of your clean your bench?  I am not talking about simply reorganizing, I am talking about pulling stuff to the side, and wiping down the dust. I know it cannot just be me (at least I hope). I am very organized in my model room, but given cutting,sanding, painting etc, the room gets quite dusty, and despite my best efforts at the bench, it just builds up here as well. Sometimes, when I am looking at some of the master/quality projects that I see on the forum here, some of the spaces just seem so clean. This could be because they take the pics somewhere other than their building space, or the camera just does not pic up the dust etc, but surely I am not alone in this battle against dust etc.

My bench is a desk that I've owned for over 50 years. Most of the time it's clean as I use it for my laptop computer, paying bills, reading, etc. When I'm working on my models I put some newspaper on top of the desk and work. I cannot leave my models out as I have a grandson living with me, and he's too young to be doing models yet.

Hey Nick! Back when I had small kids and worked on the kitchen table, I cut a board that became my work area. That protected the kitchen table AND every night when I was done working, I'd simply lift up the board with project in place and put the entire thing up on top of the refrigerator, away from little hands!  

Oh, and to answer the question...

Usually between major projects.  Once I finish something, I'll do a quick refresh of the area before starting on something else.  

Or occasionally when I get those "hold everything!" moments when I can't find things and cannot stand it anymore!  :P

When the bench gets too deep in tools and parts to find anything within about 10 seconds, I'll clean up and put everything non-essential away.

Some aspects of building make very little mess...like plumbing and wiring. Some things make a helluva mess, like heavy mods and bodywork.

Just like real cars.

When the bench gets too deep in tools and parts to find anything within about 10 seconds, I'll clean up and put everything non-essential away.

Some aspects of building make very little mess...like plumbing and wiring. Some things make a helluva mess, like heavy mods and bodywork.

Just like real cars.

Same here... just substitute 10 minutes for 10 seconds. I might not be the most organized modeler.

Oh, and to answer the question...

Usually between major projects.  Once I finish something, I'll do a quick refresh of the area before starting on something else.  

Or occasionally when I get those "hold everything!" moments when I can't find things and cannot stand it anymore!  :P

This sounds on par with my methodology.  A flying piece of photo etch today, then seeing the plastic shavings that I needed to sweep up got me thinking about this today.   Thanks everyone for your input.  

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

It really bugs me when I cant find things... so I will straighten up when things get a little cluttered..... and only clean up after a build. only leaving the basic essentials on the bench. Everything else goes back on the shelves above the bench.  It's an OCD thing....;)

Except for the OCD thing sound about right.