Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Donor for a Brockway Build?

I'm gathering information to potentially build a Brockway conventional tractor. The A.I.T Brockway 3 series kit would be the cab used.

What readily available kit donor would work best for a frame and axles? I'd like to replicate the twelve-cylinder Detroit powered trucks I've seen on Youtube.

I don't know a great deal about Brockway trucks or diesel trucks in general. I have built truck tractors in the past, so I'm familiar with the general process.

All input, advice and opinions are welcome! Thanks!

I am building one right now using an AMT Diamond Reo kit and it seems to work nicely. I replaced the tanks with some square step tanks from AITM, but the chassis cross-members, suspension, battery boxes, and air tanks all look very similar to what was used on a Brockway.

If I'm not mistaken the 360 cab would be your preferred option for the 12v. it has the longer hood suitable for the huge engine. I thought they called them U360 . 

I've seen many builders use the current western star, and even a IH paystar for the donor chsssis. add your favorite fuel tanks and tool boxes and your on your way.

I scored a dirt cheap glue bomb R model Mack on ebay a few months ago.and its being used for the 361 but your looking for current kits

Jeff

The Diamond Reo chassis would be more accurate for a 300 series. The Hendrickson walking beam suspension would be accurate or the air ride suspension from the Ertl International kits. Most of the 300 series had square tanks with inset steps like the passenger side tank on the Mack DM kits. The air tanks from the Paystar 5000 kits, and battery boxes from the R model Mack will be accurate. Spoke wheels from either the Diamond Reo or Autocar dump truck kit would be accurate. So, basically a Diamond Reo donor with a few other odds and ends would get you in the right direction. I have some Brockway literature, brochures, and blueprints if I can help you along with anything. 

Jim and Terry - Thank you both for the responses, I appreciate it!

Terry - I believe i will add a Diamond Reo to my stash, based on your advice. I'd like to use heavy duty spokes (Reyco?) and floats from Mo'luminum on the steers. They offer a 12 cylinder Detroit as well. Thanks for your kind offer of help and info also.

Jim and Terry - Thank you both for the responses, I appreciate it!

Terry - I believe i will add a Diamond Reo to my stash, based on your advice. I'd like to use heavy duty spokes (Reyco?) and floats from Mo'luminum on the steers. They offer a 12 cylinder Detroit as well. Thanks for your kind offer of help and info also.

No problem, I also resin cast some Brockway emblems if you need any. I know the AITM kit only comes with decals.Here they are on a 361 that I built. Grill, hood sides and mud flaps all same emblem.

And a junker 361

Terry- Great looking trucks! Thanks for posting the pics.

KJ and Terry- I'd like both your opinions on a few things please.

*361 trucks have a center hinged hood. What is the hood like on the A.I.T. kits? I'd like to have an opening hood.

*Is a 12V Detroit going to fit under the hood? Should I aim for an 8V instead?

*I'd like to use dual stacks on the Brockway. I assume duals are appropriate for a V style engine? Where should I search for usable stacks (kit or aftermarket)?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input!

*361 trucks have a center hinged hood. What is the hood like on the A.I.T. kits? I'd like to have an opening hood.

*I'd like to use dual stacks on the Brockway. I assume duals are appropriate for a V style engine? Where should I search for usable stacks (kit or aftermarket)?

12v71s were used all the time on 1:1s, so I'd imagine that one would fit fine on a kit truck - or you could make it fit, it's just plastic. Yes, dual stacks are correct for a V-type motor, helps with exhaust flow (in a 1:1 sense) and looks cool. Stacks from the Revell Pete 359 or KW W900 would work fine look-wise, although they might need some custom fab to fit right, although I suspect that'll be the name of the game for this build.
Unfortunately I can't help you with the other stuff, but I'm sure KJ or Terry certainly could.

All of the Brockways have butterfly hoods except the later 761's had a tilt hood. I cant say whether the V12 would fit, but with a little finess anything is possible. Most 1:1 trucks with a V12 had an extended hood. The V8 would definitely fit. As for opening the hood, your going to have to cut it apart and hinge it, or just cut it so the hood will lift off from the fenders as one piece. A V engine would have dual exhaust, an inline 6 diesel would typically be single but many have it split into dual. The best way to get your exhaust is from the trading post. Im sure I have leftover V8 exhaust from the Peterbilt kits. The Super Boss kit is currently in stores, and has the Detroit V12, but has modified racing exhaust. With a hobby lobby coupon its worth picking up. The resin cab is a little thicker than a kit cab, so you may want to just cut the hood off and make a new one from sheet aluminum or something like that. The Brockway hood shape wouldnt be too difficult to replicate. 

Edited by Superpeterbilt

Yup, the other guys pretty much covered it. 12V71 Detroits were pretty common in Brockways, but only with the longer hood models. Depending on the way the AITM interior is cast, you may need to modify the firewall to make the engine fit. I had to do that on the one I am building, as the real truck had a cut-out in the firewall to allow for the engine to fit, and the resin interior did not have this detail (since it was not made with the intent of having the hood open). The cab I got from Dave is still a very nice piece.

For the exhaust, you can easily use pipes from any kit, as exhaust stacks are pretty universal. I tend to make my own using plastic tubing though, as I don't care for most kit exhaust pipes due to seams and mold lines. 7/16 diameter tubing makes for great mufflers, and 3/16 tubing makes great exhaust pipe. I use perforated brass sheet painted with chrome paint as heat shields over mufflers.

I have a similar question, what would be a good donor for the AITM Hayes HD400 kit? I can source my own engine and trans, I just need a donor for the frame and axles.

The HD400 came with several Cummins models(NHC250-270-NTC-335-NTC-350-NTA-380), Spicer trans, and a Hayes elliptical free floating leaf springs that will probably have to be scratch built. The rear suspension is the biggest hurtle. 

The HD400 came with several Cummins models(NHC250-270-NTC-335-NTC-350-NTA-380), Spicer trans, and a Hayes elliptical free floating leaf springs that will probably have to be scratch built. The rear suspension is the biggest hurtle. 

Good to know. It can always be a field-built custom though, and that moluminum 12v71 is certainly catching my eye.

have the 361 here fore a future build

diamond plate steptank and batterybox with airtank i have buy from dave also from aitm

he have a list with a lot of material he made , its a lot of thing,s

take a look and mayby you found something what you can use

we lookin as you start with this one

jacobus

Good to know. It can always be a field-built custom though, and that moluminum 12v71 is certainly catching my eye.

Yes, it can certainly have been a glider, or the result of two wrecked trucks/ blown motor/cab fire situation. If it was me, I would probably go with a Mack camelback or a Rockwell rear susp and call it a day.