Model Cars Magazine Forum

1986 Chrysler Laser - Tribute build

RestoModGuy

My first wife bought this new in 1986 shortly after we met. We had a lot of fun in this little 4-cyl Turbo, even with it's horrible lag...

Found this old Dodge Daytona kit that had been started by someone else, stripped it down and built this as a tribute to one of her favorite cars she owned, she lost a battle to cancer in 1999, so now I have a little memento sitting on my desk.

I didn't go too far in detail, it was a one-day Saturday build but now one of my special builds.

Photo_2016-12-04_16-13-43.thumb.jpg.bf07

Photo_2016-12-04_16-15-33.thumb.jpg.9631

Photo_2016-12-04_16-15-11.thumb.jpg.ef25

Cool Model. I forgot Dodge even made a laser. :)

Your memory is correct:rolleyes:, Dodge didn't. It was sold as a Chrysler...by Chrysler-Plymouth dealerships. Dodge dealerships sold the "Daytona". They were both the same car with subtle differences. This is a "cool model" indeed! Take a bow. Fury3

Cool build! Back in the day (pre-'98) we'd owned several of the Daytona and Lazer twins from the 80's (the only Lazer was an '84 Turbo/5 speed,had 4 Daytona Z cars and 2 base models) over the years. They were inexpensive to get,and easy to mod (mostly DIY,but still simple to make a 13 second car out of,which wasn't bad for the little $ invested). Very nicely built,my friend,and thanks for the trip down memory lane :D

Really nice job on this! A white car can be difficult to model; they tend to look too toy-like, but you really captured the look of an actual automobile.

I always liked this body style, and thought it deserved a bigger engine. Would be fun to "restify" one with an easy-to-source modern V6/5speed combo under the hood.

Beautiful tribute all around.