Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shorty Model A Roadster (Roy Brizio) - now finished

maltsr

I've been collecting parts for a while now to build a little Model A roadster, inspired by this Roy Brizio version.

206270_zpskbvysplr.jpg

Body - Revell '29 Ford 3 in 1 Rat Rod

Chassis - Revell '30 Model A Coupe

Engine - Tamiya Jaguar 3.8

Rear - Revell John Buttera 1926 Model T Independent Jag

Front - Revell '32 Ford

Wheels/tyres - Rear - Pegasus, Front - Lindberg 1937 Ford tyres on unknown wheels.

Here is my progress so far.  The rear end is an old used parts box item, for mock up purposes, and requires widening.   I'm using aluminium tubing for this.

P1070369_zpsa5uwvkpy.jpg

P1070372_zps0sgwfxeg.jpg

Edited by maltsr

Thanks guys.

We cool project.  One suggestion, the front wheel needs to be smaller.

Already done, Fred.  The earlier photo shows the original Pegasus wheel/tyre, but I'm actually using parts box pieces as per the combo on the right in this photo, shown next to the Pegasus rims.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the chassis work on the Model A shorty (new engine, front and rear suspension mounts) and also scratchbuilt these front shocks from plastic rod and aluminium tube. Next task is to widen the Jag rear-end!

P1070441_zpsswa75dun.jpg

Edited by maltsr

Finished widening the Jag rear end with aluminium tubing and wire for the mounts.  Thanks to all the excellent builders on here for the inspiration to get out of my comfort zone and challenge myself.

P1070452_zpsrdaxytfi.jpg

P1070448_zpszclrswxb.jpg

P1070459_zpsmcnvxwvx.jpg

Edited by maltsr

Thanks guys.  I've painted and mounted the front end, just need to add the steering parts.   The radius rods are from the Revell '32 5-window. 

Couldn't resist a mock up, but I am in a quandary.  Should I add the Pegasus disc brakes to the rear wheels, they seem rather bare without them and don't match the fronts.  I have already mounted the Jag in-board discs, these could act as a parking brake if I add the Pegasus discs  ;).  What do you guys think?

You're doing some great work here! The parts are working together very well, and nice work widening the Jag rearend, it's looking really good.

That Brizio car was one of my absolute favorites when I first saw it in Street Rodder magazine...must have been what, year 2000? 1999? The proportions, the Jag mill, the straight pipe exhaust and intake stacks...easily one of my top 5 street rods of all time. I was obsessed with it, but had actually forgotten about it for the last 5+ years or so.

Well considered and well executed build.

I'm fascinated by all the modifications. I agree with you about being inspired by the excellent model builders in this forum. 

Seeing all this excellent work, really does urge you to extend your boundaries, get out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself.

This is one of those inspirational builds. 

Nice one!