Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Last Modelhaus order arrived

The last of the last order I placed with Modelhaus on May 15, 2016 arrived last Friday December 2, 2016 the day before my birthday even!!  What a bittersweet box opening, like getting something from a good friend before they move away forever.  I knew it was going to take awhile to get the parts when I ordered them, it wasn't an issue in my book.  The quality is the same as we've always come to expect, there's a note from Carol to make sure you go over your order to make sure it's complete.  (Which mine was.). This was my largest order I'd ever placed with them, probably just like everyone else.   As always, Carol was so nice along the way.  If you're waiting on an order from Modelhaus, don't forget to email and thank them for all their hard work to get it to you.  They've really bent over backwards to get us all our parts after getting slammed with more orders than they ever expected; when someone else probably would have just threw up their hands and walked away!

I got everything from wheels, tires to grills and bumpers, plus a '57 Mercury short Styleside bed pick up (Canadian Ford pick up).  The pick up was the highlight of the order, nice crisp Modelhaus quality resin!  I had been haunting eBay for a '60 Ford pick up forever and finally just decided to get the '57 just to be a little different.  I have a Revell Parts Pack Chassis Research type short wheelbase dragster and  an Attempt I trailer to go with the pick up; at least that's been my idea for ages.  I like to get everything together, at least the major components together for each build, so that was the last piece of the puzzle.  Probably be moving that one up,to first in line after the first of the year!!

Very bitter sweet.  I am glad for them being able to retire,  but it is certainly going to be a large gap in the hobby. 

While I'm sure that with the closing of Modelhaus that it will be a huge gap in the model car hobby, but the hobby will still go on or will many modeler's just hang up their tools and quit???

The hobby will go on, just as it once did before the rise of the cottage industry phase in the mid to late eighties.  It was also about that time that AMT began releasing realistic tooling beginning with the '66 Nova SS both Stock and Pro Street versions.  Then the beginning of decent NASCAR tooling which like it or not brought a great many model car builders back into the ranks of adult builders.  Next came the Pro Street and Pro Stock kits from both Revell and AMT, some of which preceded the AMT Nova.  As long as AMT,  Revell, Möbius and the rest continue to keep a hand on the pulse of the hobby it will thrive bringing with it the same cottage industries that the first resurgence that brought a great many of us back.  

When we see the producers of photo etch, aluminum doo dads, small resincasters and especially Replicas and Miniatures closing shop because they can no longer afford to remain in business due to diminished sales, that will likely signal the last slowdown before the final end.  Even then, there will be a great many who will go underground, just like many did when we all figured the hobby was dead only to discover the great revival we know today.  

We've lost resin casters along the way, many of them pioneers of that black art; no one figured the hobby would die as a result of their closing.  Our hobby for now is pretty resilient in part due to some of the same cottage industries that attracted us back in the first place.  Maybe more will come as they find a niche, others will go either because the didn't follow the hobbies ever changing trends, then others will retire just as Carol and Don are hoping to do in the near future.  It's not the deathnell yet.

• 2 months later...

I just saw some info on the Spotlight Hobbies board (posted by Tom, the proprietor there). I figured I would re-post it here:

Don Holthaus called to bring me up to date on their progress, and asked me to pass the info on to you. They received so many orders when they reopened their site for 7 weeks early last summer that it took from October to January just to do the orders for May 15th, and they’re now finishing up orders from the 16th. Orders placed just before the site closed, in July of 2016, are well more than a year out, possibly spring to summer of 2018.

Please just be patient, they’re working their fingers to the bone, and when your order comes up it will be shipped. If you have to talk to them they’d rather you call than email, but keep in mind that every time you write or call them you’re just causing orders to be delayed further. Thanks.

Actually, the first thing he said when he called was that he heard I bought the Modelhaus and wanted to know when I’ll be by to pick it up. I’ve heard that too, so just for the record, the rumor is absolutely not true.

I called Modelhaus on March 6th to update the info on my credit card. (if you've got an order in the works, and are not familiar with their credit card rules, you better go to their website and read-up on it).

They pulled up my order in their computer system while I waited on the phone. I was glad to hear that my order was still on the "to-do" list! I was told that it would likely be another 6-8 months before they got around to shipping my order. I placed my order in June 2016, just before the order cut-off....

UPDATE 8/17/17

Order from Modelhaus arrived today?

Edited by ToyLvr

Speaking of credit cards, I finally got mine paid off, and was going to start "paying it forward" so I wouldn't get a big hit when my Modelhaus order finally kicks in, whenever that happens. Found out I couldn't pay more than the current balance. Bummer! I guess I'll just have to start sticking cash back for the day.....