Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Peacock Blue?

Ok, I need some help from my Ford experts out there. Is there a good, readily available match to 1956 Ford Peacock Blue out there? Preferably lacquer? I've tried Scale Finishes single stage enamel, and as perfect as the color is, I hate the stuff. No disrespect to the company in question, but I'm on a bit of a time limit with this build and can't wait another month for delivery plus the two or more week curing time. Let me repeat, THIS IS ME BEING PICKY, NOT THE PAINT. I'm not bashing it at all, as the product was 100% what it's advertised as, I just don't care for it. However, I love Tamiya and see that their coral blue may be close. Has anyone used this or a comparable option? I do have an airbrush, so I can shoot just about anything be it a rattle can or jar paint. No water based acrylics, though. I haven't gotten the hang of laying them down yet. Thanks in advance guys!!!

On 12/7/2016 at 1:51 AM, Tyler62990 said:

Ok, I need some help from my Ford experts out there. Is there a good, readily available match to 1956 Ford Peacock Blue out there? Preferably lacquer? I've tried Scale Finishes single stage enamel, and as perfect as the color is, I hate the stuff. No disrespect to the company in question, but I'm on a bit of a time limit with this build and can't wait another month for delivery plus the two or more week curing time. Let me repeat, THIS IS ME BEING PICKY, NOT THE PAINT. I'm not bashing it at all, as the product was 100% what it's advertised as, I just don't care for it. However, I love Tamiya and see that their coral blue may be close. Has anyone used this or a comparable option? I do have an airbrush, so I can shoot just about anything be it a rattle can or jar paint. No water based acrylics, though. I haven't gotten the hang of laying them down yet. Thanks in advance guys!!!

Take a look at Tamiya TS41 Coral blue. Its a lacquer . this is top coated with Testors wet look clear with ZERO issues.

Paint laid down nice enough for me I didn't have to polish anything.

left-2.thumb.JPG.f209ff847ff95d72e3175c5

Edited by gtx6970

If you really have to have it exact, go to your local automotive paint supply shop. Give em the ford number, ask if they can mix it as a lacquer, and put it into a spray can. I do this a lot. You will have a big can and have plenty and it only costs about as much as 2 tamiya cans.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome suggestions guys, THANK YOU! I totally forgot MCW was even a thing. I've yet to try anything from them, but I'll have to keep them in mind. I just used the last of the paint I have. If it goes south, there's a shop in my town the carries Tamiya paints, an automotive paint supplier that will (hopefully!) mix up a small batch for me, and of course, MCW. Looks like I have some options to ponder now. Thanks again for the help!