Model Cars Magazine Forum

WHAT BUGS YOU

The lack of front upper control arms and the inner liner opening for them in many of the Revell and Monogram GM "G" body kits, including the recent 83 Hurst Olds. I never hear it mentioned unlike complaints about a lack of lower rad hoses or missing alternator brackets. I also dislike when a manufacturer does not provide an inner liner that reaches and meets with the fenders. Again, mostly a problem with the G body kits. Compare the front liners of the 83 Olds (wrong way to do it) with the Revell 1967 Chevelle kit (proper way of representing the inner liner). Many Chevelle kits have donated the parts that are missing

Ok Ill through my 2 cents in here....

Sink marks in chrome parts.

Mounting holes in bodies...we can put them in if wanted...same for holes in hoods,etc.

Box showing ether white or red wall tires and none in the box.

Skinny white wall tires...many kits need a wider white wall tire to fill up the huge wheel well openings so they do not look like bicycle tires on them.

Continuous reissues of the same old kit...lets have some more new blood from the past please...I realize its a cost thing...annual 60s and 70s stuff please.

Bring back more of the old 3 in 1 kits...it promotes buying another kit to use them on as well as gives the builder other choices to build it as.

Warped or crushed bodies due to how they were in the boxes.

Kits molded super thin plastic...Id rather have a thick one over one that seems see through or close to.

This thing, and the fact that they keep reissuing it!  And any other kit in this day and age that has a body that doesn't look the prototype.  I don't care if it's a "full detail" mega kit or a glorified promo with 18 parts, four screws and two wire axles, the BODY needs to be right!

AMT_58_Plym_side_scan001.thumb.jpg.ba33a

This thing, and the fact that they keep reissuing it!  And any other kit in this day and age that has a body that doesn't look the prototype.  I don't care if it's a "full detail" mega kit or a glorified promo with 18 parts, four screws and two wire axles, the BODY needs to be right!

FuryComparo_zpsculabwth.jpg

GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

How the.....  could they let that out the door!  Moldlines, sinkmarks, flash, things molded in halves, are nothing compared to this.

For similar irksome examples see the AMT '51 Chevy series, Monogram 1/24 '56 and '57 BelAir hardtops, and '57 Nomad.

I have to correct myself. After gluing the interior and firewall in it moved the body up a bit. Then I pushed the hood forward against the grill and the hood fit. I still need to make sure grill isn't pushed to far forward, but if it is I can just remove some plastic from the front and rear of the hood for a nice fit. This would have been impossible if I would have had to trim the hood the way it first looked.

GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

How the.....  could they let that out the door!  Moldlines, sinkmarks, flash, things molded in halves, are nothing compared to this.

For similar irksome examples see the AMT '51 Chevy series, Monogram 1/24 '56 and '57 BelAir hardtops, and '57 Nomad.

And there's a whole lotta people who just don't see anything wrong with any of them (not including me, by the way), including apparently the folks who made them.  

Parts that fit like this.

20161207_1856091_zpsgl5iearq.jpg

Hmmmm. I've built multiples of that kit and haven't had any problems.

Perhaps you might look at a real '32 Ford. The front of the body doesn't go way down as you have it here. It's relatively parallel with the running board as you have it in the "after" shot.

This is the perfect reminder why understanding how the things are supposed to go together and test fitting prior to paint are quite important.   :D

Let's see here :

- Lack of even basic underhood details : brake master cylinder ; decent radiator ; and nice firewall and inner fenders / shear panels .

- Incorrect engine / transmission / differential combos ( e. g. , the 4-speed / 8.75 diff in the old Monogram 1971 Hemi'Cuda) .

-Lack of decals .

- Bland tyres/  disproportionate sizes .

The new way they make wheels - with the ridge or bumps to hold the tire on. Why? It forces you to contort the kit tires damaging any detailing/decals you have on the tire. The old style that just slides in on each side is a lot easier and allows for exchanging. 

I do like that they are trying to do more one-piece wheels now, but this is certainly annoying. Aoshima, Fujimi, and Tamiya figured it out ages ago that a single wheel that slides in the back is the best, since it is see-through (no wheel backs), easy to put in tires that have a slightly smaller opening, and means you don't have to bother with finding wheel backs that fit when using extra wheels from kit on another.

I do like that they are trying to do more one-piece wheels now, but this is certainly annoying. Aoshima, Fujimi, and Tamiya figured it out ages ago that a single wheel that slides in the back is the best, since it is see-through (no wheel backs), easy to put in tires that have a slightly smaller opening, and means you don't have to bother with finding wheel backs that fit when using extra wheels from kit on another.

Yeah, they figured that out like, oh, 40 years ago...

Wheelbase and stance errors always bug me, and of course what the American companies do with wheels and tires, although there are some notable exceptions. Blunders on the body dimensions are a big problem, but they can be corrected, usually. The way some grille/headlight/bumper areas are addressed has turned me off on a number of kits. I can fix a lot of stuff, and swap wheels and tires, but the work required to alter the front end and then send things out for plating if needed is just ridiculous. Some of the kits have only a passing resemblance to the real thing. 

Wheelbase and stance errors always bug me, and of course what the American companies do with wheels and tires, although there are some notable exceptions. Blunders on the body dimensions are a big problem, but they can be corrected, usually. The way some grille/headlight/bumper areas are addressed has turned me off on a number of kits. I can fix a lot of stuff, and swap wheels and tires, but the work required to alter the front end and then send things out for plating if needed is just ridiculous. Some of the kits have only a passing resemblance to the real thing. 

X2, Agree 100%

If we are talking old kits.... bad fitting parts preventing the kit to finish propperly...    new kits, there should be no reason for this,,,,!

1 hood not closing

2 windows plus interrior plus chassis not fitting within the body

3 wheels not centered in wheel well openings.....

4 suspension parts that make the model sit impropperly  like a Corvette that sits like an off road vehicle ;)

fixing these issues adds hours to a build and are frustrating....!!      Even more so for the youngsters....!!!

5 molded in chrome headlights

Edited by Davemodeltech
spelling