Model Cars Magazine Forum

WHAT BUGS YOU

Well a lot has been said already, but here are some of mine. Not in a specific order...

-Errors with chrome parts. Mold lines, sink marks, and just chrome parts that don't fit. When you start correcting these issues, usually the chrome plating damages and it's very tricky to fix. I haven't tried Alclad yet so I've always used BMF for this. Not fun.

-One piece interior tub with molded in door panels. That way door panels are usually  not as detailed as if they were molded separately. And detailing them yourself is quite tricky like this. Even worse, if all seats are molded in too!

-One piece chassis with everything molded in. This sucks a lot, finding a more detailed chassis from somewhere usually requires pretty much work and it's not easy to fit under a different body.

-Windows that are mounted from outside with window trim molded in them!!!! Aaargh, this is really frustrating. Seen in new Moebius kits that are otherwise top notch, but this feature really sucks big time. It makes installing BMF very tricky, and one slip with a knife and your windows are ruined. There was nothing wrong with the old method where window trim was molded to the body.

-Speaking about windows, bad fitting windows is no fun either. You can't do much on them, as everyone knows what happens when you show some sandpaper on that window.... Of course it can be polished afterwards, but it's not as good as bright it was originally anymore.

-And last, the thing that annoys me every time... Big wheels with low profile tires! Those look horrible and they don't fit in any classic car in my opinion. I know many people like these, but I've always hated them so I'd prefer having an optional set of somekind of old school custom wheels instead of those big ones. For example on a Muscle Car kit, a set of Slot Mags or Cragars would look really good...

Sorry all for the bold type; dunno why the forum did that, but I'm not yelling or anything, honest!

Edited by chriscarroll.ogre

Glass that doesn't fit the opening.

Accuracy Issues - Scale pieces from same series engine as Bill mentioned same scale parts should fit from model to model and if the molding was the same from one kit maker to another.  Accuracy in shapes of bodies, parts..  I guess this is more noticeable now that many of us are whipping out the digital calipers to measure with.

Chrome Parts - Heavy syrupy chrome/undercoat, Heavy Flashing, Poorly Designed Attachment Points on Sprues like really thick attachments or extremely visible on the part.

Poor Ejector Pin Placement - Especially in areas which are difficult for the modeler to rework, lazy design issue.  Don't mind ejector pins when they are placed where rework is a snap, when you have to mask off body lines, chrome lines to do the rework that's uncalled for.

Sink Marks - The ones that seem to line up with a fender crown or body line, as above not just a fil and sand issue.

Generic Tires and other tire issues - heavy flashing, sink marks,out of round, tread depth that nearly goes away when you  try to fix the other issues, loose fitting rims in tires from same kit.

Anything molded in. Exhaust system, drive train, suspension, front end, fuel tank, seats ... Hated it on the 'annuals' (yeah, I know, they were really promos, but come on - why include zoomie headers when the exhaust system is molded in place? Because the kids won't notice? They coulda been smarter). Totally inexcusable for the Trophy Series-type kits. That's why re-issues don't thrill me.      

-And last, the thing that annoys me every time... Big wheels with low profile tires! Those look horrible and they don't fit in any classic car in my opinion. I know many people like these, but I've always hated them so I'd prefer having an optional set of somekind of old school custom wheels instead of those big ones. For example on a Muscle Car kit, a set of Slot Mags or Cragars would look really good...

Oh yes!!! That bugs me big time.

Another thing that bugs me? A bloody kit that can't be built factory stock!!!