Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gluebomb Willy's Hot Rod

CabDriver

02502838702705-vi.jpg

So, I got this dusty old thing on eBay - it's an old Revell 41 Willys - minda complete except for the engine (unless this thing came with a little 4 cylinder engine for no particular reason) but some of it is pretty glued up and nasty.  Should be a fun excuse for a scratchbuilding project anyway! 

Someone inexplicably painted the doors and trunklid (and maybe the hood?) at some point, and smeared a load of glue on the body so that'll need a little tidy-up, and I think I'll end up either scratchbuilding a chassis or doing some serious work on this one to make it decent. 

Not sure on engine choice, or wheel choice as yet...but here's what I've got to work with...

36502838736158-vi.jpg

29502839329821-vi.jpg

01502839361694-vi.jpg

25502839385369-vi.jpg

48502839408959-vi.jpg

So, I figured the first thing I should do is work out some parts to use.  The kit tyres are pretty much junk, ditto the wheels, the engine was a waste of shipping cost  and the chassis has a crack in it's thin frame rail that makes me nervous to consider using it.  So, I figured, I'll make a chassis.  I'm going to get an idea of how wide I could space two parallel frame rails apart (which will be determined by the rear tyre width, if I want them parallel) and then I can go from there.

I found these cool resin tyres in my parts collection - not sure who makes them but they fit the arches beautifully:

42502840962485-vi.jpg

01502840981660-vi.jpg

The stance is pretty good (it looks high from this angle but I'm pleased with it...)

26502841006353-vi.jpg

Next up, I sketched out an idea for some framerails that would allow me to drop this thing as low as I wanted...

02502853702163-vi.jpg

Then I scanned it into the computer, and used my vinyl cutter to score some styrene sheet.  I'm going to need to score them by hand because of the thickness of the material, but this would give me a pair of identical outlines to follow easily...

02502853582575-vi.jpg

Some (a lot) of this later....

21502853601723-vi.jpg

...and I've got some rails:

08502853648953-vi.jpg

Next I need to work out what engine I'll be using, and chop the bits of the interior floor off that will be in the way.  From there I can make some braces for the chassis and get the two rails aligned.  More soon!

OK, so today I found an engine in my parts stash (an Olds block I think - possibly even the one that would have come in this kit) and got that assembled so I could work on designing the cross members for the chassis.  I want to use the original interior tub (but modified to fit the bigger rear tyres and the resulting 'arches' in the frame, so I made a piece that will allow me to mount the interior tub to the frame rails that I've made:

40502933000569-vi.jpg

The blue floor part will need some tidying up, and some more work to make it nice, but this at least will allow me to locate it properly on the frame so that everything lines up properly.

Next I secured the two frame rails to each other with some bar at either end to keep them parallel, and cut a floor pan.  The floor pan is three different styrene sheet parts laminted together, secured to the frame left and right, and there's a three-piece motor mount at the front which keeps the engine in place and also helps secure the other parts

32502933052763-vi.jpg

On the right of the pic above you can see the front cross member that I made - again, three parts laminated together.  This will mount under the chassis and the small hole in the front matches another mounting point on the engine.  Here it is in place, with the chassis inverted:

43502939423940-vi.jpg

And right side up again:

18502939458145-vi.jpg

The chassis still needs some tidying up once I've worked out what to do with the back, but it's surprisingly sturdy already, especially with the engine block dropped into place.  Here it is with the first piece and the engine in place:

03502933083865-vi.jpg

And a quick test fit to make sure everything's lining up roughly where I need it to.  So far so good!

09502933029183-vi.jpg

Tomorrow, I need to figure out a rear end - I'm planning a four-link of some sort, but I need to dig through my parts and find an axle I can modify, and then once that's done the next job will be manufacturing an independant front end for it - probably from scratch.  Fun fun!

Thanks guys!  Appreciate all the nice feedback!

I like what you do with the scanner you have... That is pretty kool.... So do you draw up the design, scan it/clean it up then print/etch it out?

Yeah - I can either draw it on paper, making sure it's relatively 'solid' (coloring it in with a Sharpie would've been ideal, so that the machine could see the exact shape easier, but it worked with blue) and then I actually just photograph the piece as I haven't got a scanner.  You can draw them out in software too, if you're so inclined - but for a lot of more complex stuff it's easier for me to draw them on paper, to be honest. 

Then, once you've scanned / drawn / loaded the design into the cutter's software, just hit print (well, cut) and it'll make the bits for you.  Like a little waterjet machine, almost!

Thanks guys!  Appreciate all the nice feedback!

Yeah - I can either draw it on paper, making sure it's relatively 'solid' (coloring it in with a Sharpie would've been ideal, so that the machine could see the exact shape easier, but it worked with blue) and then I actually just photograph the piece as I haven't got a scanner.  You can draw them out in software too, if you're so inclined - but for a lot of more complex stuff it's easier for me to draw them on paper, to be honest. 

Then, once you've scanned / drawn / loaded the design into the cutter's software, just hit print (well, cut) and it'll make the bits for you.  Like a little waterjet machine, almost!

that is some kool stuff to be able to do that!!!!!!

Great start on this gluebomb!!!  You've got a lot of neat engineering going on already so I'll be very interested to see where you go from here!!!????????

Thanks for the kind words guys! You're all too kind!  Sorry for the slow progress, but I've been doing a lot of headscratching here.  I decided to do the rear end next, so I can move on to the front with the back end firmly in position.  I had a look through my parts boxes before settling on the 'stock' rear end from the kit.  it wasn't TOO badly destroyed with glue and stuff

25503463805848-vi.jpg

I'm going to make a four link rear end, so I wont be using those bars, so I narrowed a TONNE off this thing and called it good enough for mock up.  I was worried about the rear tubs that I was planning on fabricating interfering with the wheel position (it's gonna be tight back there with so much tyre) so I worked on them next.  I sliced up the kit rear interior parts to assist in making the tubs...

30503430750085-vi.jpg

And then fabricated some half-tubs for the rear.  I wanted to have a little tyre reveal in the trunk so you could see those big meats!

05503464145630-vi.jpg

The trunk will contain a fuel tank of some sort (probably not the one above because it's horrible) and the battery, possibly with another reveal through to the axle to show some of that stuff off.  I want this design to really show off some of the moving parts.  It all looks very messy here, but with the body on it starts to look a bit more like I envisaged...

19503463859562-vi.jpg

All this sheet metal in the back will need some more tidying up, but it's close enough for now so that I can start on the axle.  First order of business, and as far as I got today, was to design and cut some brackets to mount on the rear end.  I need to find some rod ends for the linkages (any leads on who sells those and doesnt take forever to send them, anyone?) so I can work out the spacing between them on the axle but they look roughly like this:

49503463829785-vi.jpg

43503464123774-vi.jpg

More tomorrow (maybe, if I get anything done :lol:)

• 5 weeks later...

Have you tried dirt modeler for the rod ends?

OK, so I took trent's advice and got some Dirt Modeller rod ends (great service - only took maybe 3 days to reach me even right before Christmas), and whilst I was looking at their site I saw these gorgeous PE brass 4 link parts - so I had to have them!

52505949992376-vi.jpg

I used a centre section of a Revell quickchange rear end and some styrene tube to make a rear axle, shown in progress above, as the original kit axle was too wide of a diametre to easily work with the 4 link parts that I bought.

35505950035603-vi.jpg

Should work great though!  I need to chop the axle to width, once I figure out presciely which wheels I'll be using and the offset so excuse the rough ends, but this should work!

14505950014494-vi.jpg

Next, to make some link arms!  I'll be back in 6 weeks with something finished hopefully :D

Actually, before I make the link arms for the rear end I wanted to lock the front end down to make sure the wheelbase is exactly right - it'll be easier to move the rear axle a fraction than the front wishbones.  I was going to print some wishbones for this, but then I came across this old white metal hot rod front end - from R&D Unique I think?  The parts look like this:

54506730234359-vi.jpg

So I made some little brass brackets to mount the bottom wishbone to the frame, et voila!

32506730272149-vi.jpg

12506730252047-vi.jpg

More to come once I figure it out :D

And another little update - I had to wait for some thin aluminum tube to arrive so I could continue with the front end but it arrived this lunchtime so I got right to work making a couple of bars to finish off the front suspension:

07507157747346-vi.jpg

46507157726230-vi.jpg

It's held together with some micro drill bits right now whilst I wait for some scale fasteners to arrive, but in the meantime I'm going to work on fabricating some front shocks and cleaning up the front end parts gently to remove the flash that you can see in the pics.

Thanks for the nice comments guys!  It's kinda slow progress on this one - I'm spending 10x as much time working things out as actually building, but I've got some time off planned soon so I'll spend some more time at the bench.  In the meantime, here's another shot of the front end (held together with sewing pins right now for ease of mockup)

07507949747458-vi.jpg

I'm going to start on hanging the rear end soon...

31507949771691-vi.jpg

I made a little Moon tank using a pen barrel and some resin hubcaps

50507951890776-vi.jpg

And I've started collecting parts for the engine, including this cool intake setup from The Parts Box in Australia - I might find some nice machined aluminum stacks to stick out through the hood

07507951967824-vi.jpg

More progress as I make it!

• 3 months later...