Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 pro mod chevelle, chassis started mock ups

mr68gts

Dave, Thank you! I am having a blast with this thing.

Managed to stop by Chris's over the weekend for a bit and got to see the Army car first hand. The pics he shows of it while awesome still do not show the detail of the parts themselves. Was nice to hang out for a few hours and just bs and catch up. Too bad I can't make it to DSC but work comes first and I am trying to save my vacation time lol. Bad enough I'm using up 100 hours of it for GSL! (I get 210 hours!)

Anyhow, I started playing with the struts last night and unfortunately broke one. I have spares but it just goes to prove my point that the struts just are not going to be strong enough to hold this model up I think. SO, I started machining them out of brass! I've got the main body of both sides done. I need to change over to the mill and machine the spindle hole,(at the required angle) to accept the machined boss/spindle that will go in the hole. I'll start out with a center drill and finish up with a regular drill bit. Once that is done I can machine the spindle half of it out of brass and then soldier it together. The hole will help stabilize the spindle and give it some strength. I hope....

onto the pics...

DSC_0863-vi.jpg

I haven't decided if I am going to clean off the parting nub and machine a receiver hole into the top of the body to accept the adjustable part of the strut yet or not. The nub makes a good register also but I was trying to see if I can make the struts and Penske shocks for the rear operational so I may require it to be gone although I won't require much travel.

DSC_0864-vi.jpg

Paul... This is looking great. It was awesome to get to see this in person a couple of weeks ago. Had a blast hanging out and talking models. Looking forward to that again. Have you gotten any more rod yet so you can continue to get progress done. GSL is around the corner... and you and I need to put or tails in gear...lol I know you want it to be a roller by then and have no doubts you will get it there. Me on the other hand not sure... :lol:

Thanks Chris.  I did pick up some more. They didn't have the .080 but I think I have enough of that to get  by. I was scraping up bits of .100 though lol. I ordered the fab rear end Thursday so it should be on it's way in a few days. Then I can start getting the 4 link together! I'm just going to use mock up bars for shocks temporarily.  Wait till you see the shocks....  :)

It was fun hangin out. Next time we need more time though lol. 

Gsl...well...Ive just about got both models done for gsl so I may just actually make it and not have to build on the way up like I have in the past. No more of that lol. If it is not done then it is not going! 

I do hope this Chevelle is done for 2019 though. 

Paul

Paul... I can dig thru my stash and see if I have some .080" rod for ya. Heck I need to pick up a magazine from Hobby Depot. was thinking of taking a drive over there but wanted to try to get bench time in. But if you need more rod I can check for you when I am out running some errands. You are right we definitely need more time to hang out next time...lol

Tyrone, Thank you sir!

Chris, thank you. I actually dug through my drawer of bar stock and found about half a package of .080 on the bottom. Must have fallen out over the years. I might have to go through and organize the drawer again lol. I've been slowly filling in the gaps in my supply of Evergreen so that I don't have to worry about holding up on projects due to lack of materials. Thank you for the offer though! Much appreciated!

Dave, Thank you sir! It's coming along. One tube at a time.....lol

Scott, Thank you. I need to get with you in the next day or 2 about some stuff. I'll email you later.

So, no real photographic update. Just keep adding more and more tube to the chassis. The rear end housing is on it's way from Shapeways. That's the major hold up on the rear end at this point. I've got the parts for it other wise beside the Penske shocks. Looks like I am going to have to buy some tooling to make some of it. Mostly micro end mills. Started saving up for the rotary table also. There are a few things I need to make that require it over the indexing attachment. I think the only part that will be 3d printed is the main upper base. Maybe.... I say this because I might be able to machine it out also depending on how adventurous I feel but it too will require the rotary table anyhow. For now and for GSL the rear end will have mock up shocks in place. Updates may come slow for a while as there are a few things getting in the way of this and other model work at this time. I will update as I can though!

Paul

Randy, Thank you!

I managed to get the main rear structure done. Just needs all the bracing and tabs for the shocks to mount to. Also need to locate the sway bar somewhere in this mess! And.... I decided to sit in front of the lathe for a minute tonight giving me a break from trying to learn Auto-cad 2017! So I machined the Penske reservoirs.

UTC_Data1490268369832SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1490330041490SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

Rear end print showed up last night so I started by adding the inner 4 link plates to it. Then machined one of the tube insert/spacers this morning. I'll do up the other one tomorrow hopefully. I may have to move a couple bars in the back half to fit the rear end properly but it's not much. Just going to have to see once it's mocked up.

UTC_Data1490438903281SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1490438912900SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1490438960805SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1490439112127SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

Been a busy week learning autocad.....I like Solidworks better but I am doing the Autocad for a possibility of a job change. If I can get in anyway.

I have managed however to get some done on the rear end this morning while the Ms. was sleepin....lol

The rear end fill cap. I've got some smaller end mills coming and one of them is a ball end mill so I can machined the relief in the middle and not be so large. I used an 1/8" end mill to cut the grip reliefs after turning it on the lathe. (unscrewed the chuck right off the lathe and onto the index head after I re-assembled the mill lol. I remove the mill head if not going to use it any time soon so it's not in the way) Came out pretty good and I am happy with the results other than the wrong end mill for the middle relief.

UTC_Data1490983451705SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

And the rear end itself is getting closer. I started making all the spacing material to tie in the 4 link plates to each other for strength. (like the real cars are) Still have one side to do but I did manage to get the other spindle done also. I think I am going to machine the caliper boss for the spindle rather than 3d print it. Hopefully it comes out.

UTC_Data1490987848351SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

A little bit of an issue..... There are some issues with the body as far as how it all fits together. I've come too far to turn back now so I will push ahead but there are some proportion issues with the body. Probably part of the problem with scaling something from a photograph. There's no guarantee that the photographer took the photo dead square which will mess up much of the dimensions as you scale it. Not much of a way around it and not worth having a new body printed after changes. This is a TDR body and not of my design so I am going to have to work within the constraints of the body. The first issue is the wheel base is off a bit. Not horrible but I can work with it. I just need to open up the wheel wells some to make it work.....more body work. lol.

The other issue is the front tire clearance. There simply is not enough clearance at the hood to clear the tire as the suspension collapses. I know this is just a model but this like this erk my ocd lol. Scale, scale, scale! It's not hard people....jeesh! Ok, enough rant. I've got a solution however it is not one I want to look at because I think it would mess up the lines of the car. That would be to add wheel humps into the top of the fender to clear the tires. That the easy option. The other option is to bow the whole top of the front clip. That is going to take some serious work to make happen. I may be able to draw up a new front clip but my Solidworks skills would be put to the test! (read as lack of skills....lol) I will keep forging ahead however and see what I can make happen once I get to that point. Paint and body work is a long ways off at this point anyway!

Paul

20170402_074823-vi.jpg

• mr68gts changed the title to 69 pro mod chevelle, chassis started mock ups