Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 pro mod chevelle, chassis started mock ups

mr68gts

Brad, initial answer to your question is yes but that may change. I dont have anything but we will see what how I feel come Saturday lol.

Chris, thank ya brotha! It will be good to take my mind off of things while building.

Dave, christmas came way early lol. I really need to put the block on a stand. There isnt much in the way of heads worth a darn for a small block mopar unfortunately. Mopar w8 or w9's seem to be it. The new Eddy victor heads flow decent but are not 18 bolt pattern. (Dummies used the 10 bolt pattern lol.) Either mopar head will run me over 2500 for cnc'd castings bare. Victors about 2500 complete without the potential or clamping. Just have to see. Was thinking 450 inch but turbos like under 400 so maybe 3.79 stroke with the 4.130 bore.

One part at a time....lol

Edited by mr68gts

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2017 at 6:42 AM, Codi said:

Paul, I don't know how you guys like you and Dave juggle all of this.  Amazing and always look forward to your updates too.  cheers, Tim

Tim,

thanks, sometimes it gets a bit busy lol.

Little bit of an update. Got some time on the computer finally! Managed to get the hat spacer almost done. (i need to move the top foward lip out more to match up with the scoops flange.)

Oil pump is next. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I can put in an order at Shapeways for these parts. I think that's all that is left of the engine parts anyway!

Paul

assembled hat with supercharger.jpg

assembled with supercharger 2.jpg

14 hours ago, Mooneyzs said:

Paul... Man that is looking great!!! I can't wait to see these pieces after you have them printed. Loving the work you have done here. Seeing you get some CAD work in makes me want to get back to some parts I need to finish up myself. Nice Job!!

Thank ya brotha!

Pretty  nice to be able to concentrate on this now that we are all moved out. I finished up the spacer and the scoop this morning so onto the oil pump I go! I will holler at you this weekend if your going to be around.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

So, the house is no longer ours and we are officially homeless... lol 

I did order the scoop and spacer and added the 4 link brackets to the order as I had to replace the ones that got broke in the trip from GSL when the chassis got smashed. 

I still need the oil pump and have a good start on it at this point but it's not ready for printing yet. I am also going to change the engine over to a dry sump style setup which requires a new pan and different pump that what I have started on. (sort of, the basic pump is the same if I am copying an RCD style pump but it is longer for obvious reasons.)

With the scoop here I had to mock it up in the chassis with the rear body section in place to see how it looks. It's hard to tell in the photos but the thing is seriously bad a$$.

Off to chop up some brass since I have the place to myself for the week!

Paul

DSC_0827.JPG

DSC_0825.JPG

Thank you guys. 

Got in there again tonight  but progress is slow up till now as I needed to draw up bottom rails for the back half to get the bend right and in scale to dimensions I have for a chassis and it's shock mounting points. The back half is smaller tube than the main rails so I used 3/32 K&S tube. (which is correctly scaled) The issue with K&S is that it is hardened. I discovered with a bit of experimenting that if you anneal the tube slightly it will be malleable enough to bend without breaking or kinking and yet retain much of it's strength. By using a round belt pulley that I have laying around that I am going to use to update the Unimat lathe I was able to bend the tube fairly easily!

DSC_0831.JPG

Paul... looking good my friend. Nice progress on this. I experimented a while back where i anneled some brass tubing by heating it up with a torch nd it made it way easier to bend. Wish I would of done this back when I made the headers for the F/C. I can't wait to see more of this brass chassis. Keep up the stellar work.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/29/2017 at 8:47 PM, mr68gts said:

Tim,

Little bit of an update. Got some time on the computer finally! Managed to get the hat spacer almost done. (i need to move the top foward lip out more to match up with the scoops flange.)

Oil pump is next. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I can put in an order at Shapeways for these parts. I think that's all that is left of the engine parts anyway!

Paul

On 11/29/2017 at 8:47 PM, mr68gts said:

Tim,

Paul

Hi mr68gts! I was wondering you are still working on this project! You are doing great work on this Bohr-Hammer hat! Well I just wanted to chime in and ask if you need any help on the injector hat because I am the designer of it! My name is Matt Bohr, I am the CAD designer for Bohr Racing Products  that work with Hammer Superchargers in developing this. You did such an awesome job at somehow reverse engineering it I am curious how you did it! I was scrolling though google and was wondering how someone got my CAD files hahaha. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions on actual sizes and dimensions!

Snapshot 3.JPG

Snapshot 1.JPG

Snapshot 4.JPG

Snapshot 5.JPG

18 hours ago, matad311 said:

Hi mr68gts! I was wondering you are still working on this project! You are doing great work on this Bohr-Hammer hat! Well I just wanted to chime in and ask if you need any help on the injector hat because I am the designer of it! My name is Matt Bohr, I am the CAD designer for Bohr Racing Products  that work with Hammer Superchargers in developing this. You did such an awesome job at somehow reverse engineering it I am curious how you did it! I was scrolling though google and was wondering how someone got my CAD files hahaha. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions on actual sizes and dimensions!

Matt, Paul hasn't been around in a couple years. People join and fall off the forums pretty frequently. 

image.png.c91d0e7e9d2181ad85f9fb045770747e.png

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well, I've been working on this thing in the back ground. Still getting files done but I've had to redo all the files as I'm no longer using Shapeways services. I've since closed down the store which has caused me to have to redo every file for every part I've printed through them and reprint them as they are much better quality than the parts I was getting from Shapeways! There has also been a lot of chat back and forth as I work through this thing which has caused a few changes to the parts. The rear end has changed as have the wheels. I've added things to the bell housing to reflect a real one. I completely redesigned the rear end to be more like a Tim McAmis billet. The ENTIRE engine has been reprinted and detail added to the intake manifold. It now has the ports in the manifold! Lol.

20200714_201953-vi.jpg

Edited by mr68gts

The new front wheels! I need to redo the back side for disk brakes then they are god to go. Also going to print CORRECT tires for the fronts. These are just sitting in my M&H's from my old Racing scenes chassis kit.

20200726_221811-vi.jpg

New supercharger with new intake manifold that has the ports in the model!

20200718_090957-vi.jpg

20200718_090942-vi.jpg

20191128_083331-vi.jpg

Semi assembled mocked up engine with Magneto assembled. I still need to machine the angled adapter so it fits the block. (common with pretty much every engine that has this location for a magneto/distributor.

Also shows the pocketed heads.(ends are pocketed to save weight)

20200407_112954-vi.jpg

Modeled fuel pump assembly

20200423_192025-vi.jpg

• mr68gts changed the title to 69 pro mod chevelle, chassis started mock ups