Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 pro mod chevelle, chassis started mock ups

mr68gts

2 hours ago, blackbeard said:

Boy Paul  that looks fantastic I be in for all your parts for the 16th scale pro mod 

I will only be fulfilling my commitments to the people that bought the 481x's (3 to be exact) and that's it. No parts will be available after that and the parts will NOT be as detailed internally as what is dispalyed. It's too difficult to try and repeatedly reprint these parts as they are really pushing the limits of the printer.

Paul.... That is some amazing stuff going on Buddy. Loving the progress on all of this and the 3D printed parts Look Amazing. That's a pretty Bad A$$ printer you got there! Looking forward to your next update, Keep up the great work. 

GSL or Bust!!  2v2uJ49bgxAhe9C.gif 2v2uJ4UpWxAhe9C.gif

6 hours ago, Mooneyzs said:

Paul.... That is some amazing stuff going on Buddy. Loving the progress on all of this and the 3D printed parts Look Amazing. That's a pretty Bad A$$ printer you got there! Looking forward to your next update, Keep up the great work. 

GSL or Bust!!  2v2uJ49bgxAhe9C.gif 2v2uJ4UpWxAhe9C.gif

Thanks brotha

GSL or Bust!!?

• 2 weeks later...

Couple more parts printed and there may be a rim change lol. I printed the v series center but I like the classic looking wheels. I may update the front kidney beans to accept brakes and change the rears to the Halibrand big windows and turn them into bead lock style rear wheels!

Paul

20200712_104222-vi.jpg

20200712_104240-vi.jpg

20200728_060611-vi.jpg

5 hours ago, gasser59 said:

Wow!!  Those are some impressive printed parts. Keep after it and you may just convince me into a 1/16th scale build yet.  ?

Brad, I hear that!  I was very recently all fired up about a 1:16 scratchbuilt brass FED.  Paul has gorgeous parts!  Man they would've been great! 

Just after lots of searching,  my conclusion came out to be,  if you don't have a kit or two at hand in 1:16, you'll pay lots.  Motors, if found, $40+, slicks are rare, wheel choices are not great, rearend housings...hard to find.  Since I build brass, not even the correct scale rods and tubes are available.  Meantime...Alibaba has offers...thanks but no thanks.

Still, I can well imagine an Altered in 1:16 from your bench!  Go for it!

Paul's parts in conjunction with an existing kit would be sensational, a real upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 9:11 AM, gasser59 said:

Wow!!  Those are some impressive printed parts. Keep after it and you may just convince me into a 1/16th scale build yet.  ?

Maybe this will help ya brad! And yes it's 16th scale!

On 8/11/2020 at 2:36 PM, Mike Williams said:

Brad, I hear that!  I was very recently all fired up about a 1:16 scratchbuilt brass FED.  Paul has gorgeous parts!  Man they would've been great! 

Just after lots of searching,  my conclusion came out to be,  if you don't have a kit or two at hand in 1:16, you'll pay lots.  Motors, if found, $40+, slicks are rare, wheel choices are not great, rearend housings...hard to find.  Since I build brass, not even the correct scale rods and tubes are available.  Meantime...Alibaba has offers...thanks but no thanks.

Still, I can well imagine an Altered in 1:16 from your bench!  Go for it!

Paul's parts in conjunction with an existing kit would be sensational, a real upgrade.

Thanks Mike! Yes, sadly just the parts alone are expensive plus needing the kits which aren't cheap on top of it make it difficult to build in the larger scales. There just isn't enough of a following for companies to make models in 1/16 scale. 

K&S tubing is it if you do't want Albion Brass tubes. Bad thing about Albions tubing is its real thin so not easily bent. I have been thinking of a bender that can work but it would take a bunch of dies in all their sizes to work. Still tempting though! I am sure I could run it through work and prototype it here at home.

Brad building an altered in 1/16 would be freaking awesome!

Back to work I go......

Paul

IMG_0684.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Cool seeing a 1/16 build! Beautiful and very detailed work you are doing! Terrific stuff! Nice wheels!! I have a Revell Chevy truck that I want to build but it’s to much I want to do to it, 2wd conversion, better engine other wheels, and it’s very expensive in this scale! 

any how found this for wheels: https://www.3dscaleparts.com/1-16?page=4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 5:36 PM, Mattilacken said:

Cool seeing a 1/16 build! Beautiful and very detailed work you are doing! Terrific stuff! Nice wheels!! I have a Revell Chevy truck that I want to build but it’s to much I want to do to it, 2wd conversion, better engine other wheels, and it’s very expensive in this scale! 

any how found this for wheels: https://www.3dscaleparts.com/1-16?page=4

thanks, It is expensive if you don't have your own means to produce the parts required at this level of detail. I can produce pretty much anything I need including wheels for myself. Just no bodies. Printer isn't big enough for that!

Paul

27 minutes ago, mr68gts said:

thanks, It is expensive if you don't have your own means to produce the parts required at this level of detail. I can produce pretty much anything I need including wheels for myself. Just no bodies. Printer isn't big enough for that!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Just curious, what printer do you have? Just looking into the slippery slope of 3D printers.

1 hour ago, wrenchr said:

Hi Paul,

Just curious, what printer do you have? Just looking into the slippery slope of 3D printers.

I bought an Epax X1 a little over a year ago. Have had great success with it after much experimentation and getting the learning curve under control. The 3d modeling side is only part of the equation. Then there is the whole printing side of it that can add a whole new level of frustration lol. Sticking with it will eventually yield positive results. Hell, I'm still learning! I finally recently decided to instead of support print my 481x to stick it to the build plate and let it eat. Much better printing quality has resulted from that decision!

Paul

On 12/11/2020 at 9:40 AM, comp1839 said:

Killer stuff Paul. your hard work is paying off!!!  good for you!!! keep at it buddy. i have been looking at a project to put that killer strange rear into. just gotta make time in between the big stuff!!!

Dave, 

Thank you my friend! Good to hear from ya. Still a long road ahead as I moved into the 5th wheel trailer while we find a new home. (we sold our house lol) Its made for an interesting modeling environment! Can't wait to see what ya do with it! Gonna be back on this thing soon! Gotta have it finished for the last GSL!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

oil pan re printed and this may change if I convert to a dry sump pan instead of a single pickup.

20200702_054339-vi.jpg

head and valve cover prior to clean up I've still got some work to do on these as I am not totally happy with how they are printing out. I've gotten the block down pat. I've printed so many of them things trying to get it right so I have less work to do as far as clean up goes its not even funny. It looks like a 481x block foundry in the box lol

20200702_054227-vi.jpg

Optima battery printed. There is a separate top plate that finishes it off. Dont seem to have the pic of it for some reason. I will have to dig out the parts as I go and take new pictures.

20200718_213134-vi.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully soon I can get back on this. GSL is coming up faster than I want to admit and will be having to make this thing in the 5th wheel. Probably take the printer to work and print there since we are on a dirt lot and I really dont want to stink up the trailer with resin smell lol. I have the Unimat lathe sitting here and all the tooling so at least I can machine parts. I have to do that outside though as not a good idea to have the chips in the trailer. 

Paul

1 hour ago, gasser59 said:

Merry Christmas Paul. You're making great progress and I've seen some pictures of the wheels you made. I need to get a set or two of those. Doing all of this in a fifth wheel  must be interesting.

I've can print out the centers if you want to get the rings from Jeff. Or get it all through Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much progress but some is better than none!

20210102_194300-vi.jpg

Made the "copper head gaskets" for both sides.

20210103_064657-vi.jpg

Mocking up the new printed block and front timing covers with the existing lower pulley.

20210103_064939-vi.jpg

Checking fit of the Lenco CS1 to the Bellhousing.

20210103_065411-vi.jpg

New dry sump pan for the 481x

20210103_091513-vi.jpg

New dry sump oil pump. This is actually individual pieces just stacked together in Solidworks. I need to look into photo etch services as the plates in between the main rotor bodies would be to thin to print.

Paul

• mr68gts changed the title to 69 pro mod chevelle, chassis started mock ups