Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 pro mod chevelle, chassis started mock ups

mr68gts

Been building this a while now. 69 chevelle pro mod in 1/16. As time and money permit I do some here and ther. No kit parts in this one. Its all scratch built, machined, 3d printed, or after market. The tires are futurattraction. The bell housing, rear end, and body are tdr. The rest of the 3d parts are mine that I had printed at Shapeways. Ive been developing the 481x forever now but I am out of school as of this week so I'll have a little time to finish up a customer project and get back on this and the camaro.

Paul

20161208_163944_zpscwf8xaaz.jpg20161208_163958_zpsdgdppuqc.jpg20161208_164019_zpskayrnjey.jpg20161208_164124_zpsqntuf7zr.jpg20161208_164135_zpsco9mixgm.jpg20161208_164829_zpslm4jofql.jpg20161208_164844_zpsyr4rd3ho.jpg

Edited by mr68gts
updates

Thanks Tim. I'm very limited to light in this house unfortunately but I can see what I can do!

So, many haven't seen the parts that are going into this, with exception of a couple of people. This project has been under wraps for a long time. There are many hours sitting in front of this box designing, engineering, and just flat trying to figure out how to do something on it in this thing.

What you are looking at here is the front cover parts for the 481x. Yes I tend to get a little crazy at times and go all out in detailed accuracy. Some of which has to be looked past or worked around due to limitations in the 3d printing process. The way the front cover parts are designed I could actually spin the engine if I wanted to and the lower pulley would articulate correctly.

The master cylinder consists of 5 pieces and could be made to operate if I so choose. This part has been printed, painted and done already but still requires it's mount brackets.

This is the basic wheel assembly with its brake hat in place and the strut. The lower half of the strut has been printed but I have revised it some so that it now accepts an aluminum "spindle" post for the rim. I didn't take into account the lack of strength in some of these parts and this is one part I do not want breaking on me once the model is finished. I still need to print the brake hat itself. the rotor will be machined and painted with Zero paints. They have a carbon brake paint color that looks really good!

One of the inherent issues with scratch building is the inability to get things square. In order to combat this I have designed this fixture for the front end. I may do more fixtures but I had to start somewhere. This will make sure the top strut mount is in the right spot for the strut axis and the printed arrows on the base correspond with the center line of the spindle. This also foxes another issue, where the J bars are located. That is dependent on the strut height. So taking into account a known strut height I can now properly locate the struts upper mount and then locate the J bars where they really need to be with out guessing. Same way a real pro mod would be made. I may add to this some sort of fixture for the lower arm pivots or they may need to be a separate fixture from this one as the bodies all vary somewhat and the track width may need to change accordingly.

top shelf work and attitude paul!!    getting things "correct" is part of what makes model building such a fun challenge.  loving the cs-1 lenco and that 481X!!!!!! (need way more pics!!! will they be available in 1/8 too?)  all of the other parts are just beautiful. please don't let this sit tooo long waiting for your milling machine.

top shelf work and attitude paul!!    getting things "correct" is part of what makes model building such a fun challenge.  loving the cs-1 lenco and that 481X!!!!!! (need way more pics!!! will they be available in 1/8 too?)  all of the other parts are just beautiful. please don't let this sit tooo long waiting for your milling machine.

Thanks Dave! It is fun for me trying to see how accurate I can make something. The Lenco and 481x can be available in 1/8th. I need to do the oil pump boss still. I did manage to find a dimension finally for the block skirt. There were measurements for an oil pan width so I used that!

The mill is going to depend on overtime next year but I plan to finally make it happen. Then stroker parts for my real 340 gts....but mill first lol.

Paul

So, not a true update but more of a theory update. I am at a point where I must decide one of two things! And there's a reason for it. When this project was started it was a commissioned job and so I was told to use certain parts. Case in point is the brass 4 link brackets for the chassis. There's an issue with these though. It's something I've noticed for a long time now. When building a pro mod and using these brackets you have to do one of two things to get the car low enough to sit right. First one is point the pinion at the dirt. Reason being is the brackets are not tall enough so when the car is sitting at ground level the drive shaft will not clear the main hoop cross member! This is unacceptable and quite frankly looks like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH IMO. No car runs with that much pinion angle, especially a 4 link car! So the other fix is to raise the back of the car up and skirt the sides to keep the proper height off the ground. This was discussed when this issue was found and was decided on leaving the brass brackets in place. Now, the model is mine now. (trading other work in exchange for it) So I've drawn and had printed new 4 link brackets to fix this issue. The other pic is actually a chassis for a 68 Camaro pro mod that I borrowed a body for a bit to build a chassis. This chassis was to be a development piece for parts to be printed and showcase the parts. If I can ever afford a body for it it will get finished though. With the new brackets in place there are no more driveshaft clearance issues and no more pinion pointing to China issues. On the Chevelle chassis I may have to to redo the main hoop anyway and the front door posts also because when I started this chassis I made it pretty tight to the sides of the body and now there is not a whole lot of clearance for door structure to fit in. (this was corrected on the Camaro chassis also) I may be easier to start over with it, using the correct 4 link parts but I may just skirt the sides and continue on provided I can remedy the issue with door clearance. Added bonus to this is I would be able to use the strut fixtures so the J bars are even and the strut mounts in the correct spot. These were done by hand previously by measurement and while close enough no one would notice they are indeed off just a hair and I know.

Paul... I am so stoked that you finally decided to make a thread for this build. You are doing one heck of a job on it. I love all of the 3D modeling you are doing on this ;).  I know some people may not realize how much time can be spend sitting in front of the computer doing the design and engineering work on them so they can be printed. I can appreciate that for sure. I can not wait until you get more updates on this. Nice work my friend!! 

Thank you for the comments guys. I do appreciate them! If you have any questions or comments please don't hesitate to ask. Even if you see something wrong and feel it needs correcting.

So, Dave was wanting some pics of the 481x. I have some of the printed parts on the camera I'll upload and show tomorrow that are better than the ones I took with my cell phone. (probably part of the light problem) There are some other parts in here. The front of the engine has taken the most time to model. There is a never ending barrage of parts that make up the front drive pieces. Just when I think I am getting close to done I find more I need to add to complete it. I have had very limited information on the 481x. AJPE, (oh yes I emailed them!) helped some but only with the cylinder head height and the location of the mounting holes in the front. Much of the exterior dimensions otherwise were pulled from Chevrolet prints of a BBC which much of the dimensions are identical to with exception to the raised cam, front timing area and Chrysler oil pump. By the way, the original 481x's were identical in to a BBC with exception to the side profile of the block itself. Even the oil pan and timing cover used to be standard BBC. When Alan Johnson bought out Rodeck he changed it up to what it is today. Johnson and Rodeck were the original creators of the 481x.

I haven't touched this thing in months (like 6 lol) and I really need to get a start on it again. Hopefully soon though!

Assembled turbo 481x

481x%20assembled_zpspowm2unu.jpg

Assembled supercharged 481x

Assembled%20481x%20Supercharged_zpsu8lbu

If I have the dimensions for the parts and all it's internal pieces it is in there. Case in point? The idler pulley cut away! The bearings, and all it's spacers are there. I have done the spacers in machined aluminum already so I know the idea will work. I'll see if I can locate pics of the parts as they are on my phone somewhere!

Assembled idler pulley cut away.

RCD%20Idler%20Assembly%20section%20view_

I may change the rims to this.V series insert. I still need to model the front rim but the rears are designed to interchange with the rim rings other than the Delta wheel because it's a one piece rim.

Weld%20V%20series%20Lieghtweight_zpsfeyb

481x pulley arrangement side view. Here you can see all or much of the parts making up the drive system. Lots of work to be sure.

481x%20Supercharged%20side%20view_zpstwj

Wheelie bar wheels! I hunted a long time for dimensions on these. Managed to finally locate the information so it is done other than the bearings and the spacers. Now mind you, the bearings are not machined like a true bearing but are made to look like a complete bearing. Basically it's just an insert and you can see that in the idler cut away.

wheelie%20wheel_zpskzyrozau.jpg

wheelie%20rim%202_zpsah7m1xzv.jpg

wheelie%20wheel%20assembled_zpsiceysijb.

Edited by mr68gts

Pual...I am truly amazed at that engine you have drawn up. It is looking Killer!!! It is making me want to get back to sitting in front of my computer to get my engine drawn and designed up but as we all know that I have to get this so called Darn Funny Car finished. hopefully I will in time for the GSL. Again awesome work, you definitely have talent!! B)

Henry, Thank you! I can't wait till they're actually done.

Dave, I'll be marketing them. You probably won't need the whole engine so when the time comes I'll get with you and make a file for you since you'll want to machine parts I'm sure. :)

Chris, Thanks bud! What Chris isn't telling you guys is that he has helped me immensely with this thing. I have bugged him here and there for advice or help and quite frankly none of this would be possible with out him!

So, what to do when your just not happy with something? You break it down and start over of course!

• mr68gts changed the title to 69 pro mod chevelle, chassis started mock ups