Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 pro mod chevelle, chassis started mock ups

mr68gts

the detail, on the printed parts, is amazing paul.  great job on drawing them up. the floater is looking very good as well. will the spindle and the hub be machined as well as the rotor or will the spindle and the hub be printed?

the brakes look super on the wheel and the frame is really looking sharp. keep up the fantastic job. this is REALLY going to be a nice pro mod when you are done!!

the detail, on the printed parts, is amazing paul.  great job on drawing them up. the floater is looking very good as well. will the spindle and the hub be machined as well as the rotor or will the spindle and the hub be printed?

the brakes look super on the wheel and the frame is really looking sharp. keep up the fantastic job. this is REALLY going to be a nice pro mod when you are done!!

Dave, Thank you! If it wasn't for your help some of it wouldn't be possible and I most likely wouldn't have corrected the chassis issues either.

The hub itself will be 3d printed along with the drive flange.  I did the 5 on 5 b.p. but I have the dimensions for the 5.5 one also. (there's a height difference on the 5.5 pattern one for some reason) The spindle will be machined but the portion that has the brake bracket boss will be printed. Basically a collar that will slip over the machined tube with a stop to locate it. Probably the best of both worlds this way as I can get the strength of the aluminum yet the detail of the printed parts.

Funny thing, I've learned to draw up everything in 1:1 scale since starting the 481x. It makes it much easier to scale it within the program over trying to do it on paper and keep it straight. With that said I can scale the parts down to what ever provided it will print.

Off to the lathe I go! Time to start machining the tube spacer for the 4 link brackets.

Paul

The Penske rear shocks. This is just the upper assembly. I have the lower portion and the adjuster done also but I'm not going to bore ya'll with the details.... lol, you get the gist of it anyway.

Penskeshockassembly-vi.jpg

So I've got the drive flange for the floater done. I ended up doing it in one piece instead. Just made more sense as these parts are small in scale!

StrangeFloaterDriveFlange-vi.jpg

This is the flange on the floater spindle. This piece will be 3d printed along with the above parts. By doing it this way I can get the profile of the part and retain the strength of the aluminum.

Strangefloaterflange-vi.jpg

This is the floater spindle without the above flange. This part will be machined from aluminum for strength.

Strangefloaterspindlenoflange-vi.jpg

Edited by mr68gts

Very cool Paul...It will be cool to see the parts when they come in.  3D printing is going to have giant impact on  the world as it develops and evolves. Not just in modeling and jewelry making but on anything we use today.

Edited by Davewilly

First parts painted and detailed!!!! What a milestone for me woohoo!

The individual part break down as follows,

The crank hub which in real life is pressed onto the crank snout, the crank bolt goes in, then the timing/degree wheel goes into notches on the hub (yes the notches are in the 1/16 hub!), the pulley goes over that and then the support hub goes into the pulley and it is all bolted together. The pulley and the bolt are not painted yet. I have some paint mixed up to make the pulley look like hard anodized but am not quite there yet and I cannot do anything about installing the pulley anyway because I need the block and timing cover here to install it all any how. The bolt will be gold in color to look like a gold iradited bolt. (ala ARP) The 6 bolts in the support hub are T2M bolts. I'm going to have to scrounge around for these things since they are no longer in business. There is a company that makes hardware like scale hardware did but they do not have anything like what T2M made. Wish someone would pick up that line because they are a wonderful detail to add!

DSC_0624-vi.jpg

DSC_0625-vi.jpg

Edited by mr68gts

Got the lathe out and got to making chips! This is one of the rear end spindles. The first one was a failure. There was an issue with a dimension in the printed parts. They are close but there wasn't enough of a lip to retain the 4 link bracket without sliding over the spindle so I made a new one with a bigger step in it. I may need to go in an change the dimensions a bit on the pattern for the spindle boss that will be printed so that it fits correctly without interfering with the tube since there are bolts that hold the caliper bracket on.

DSC_0628-vi.jpg

DSC_0630-vi.jpg

What to do when you need a carriage stop and don't have one? You think outside the box and get ingenious lol! Using the tail stock as a back stop so I can machine the out half.

DSC_0629-vi.jpg

Finished part. I though up another idea on how to do this but I will just make the 2nd one and carry on. The idea would require having new parts printed and there really is nothing wrong with these. Just a different way to do it.

DSC_0631-vi.jpg

Edited by mr68gts

Do you have a color in mind?

I thought about the body in carbon fiber with Yenko stripes. (it's a the way a real one is done up) I'm not trying to copy it as a replica but I do like the way it looks! That would be a fortune in carbon fiber decal though!

Thank you guys! I can't believe it's finally here. I now need to scale it to other scales. Some of it will have to be combined to if I want it available in 1/25 scale. Most of the timing cover and such will probably be all one piece. Nice thing about larger scales is the detail you can add as it goes up in scale. In 25th scale I will probably have to add the hardware into the solid model to make it work and not have to worry about the bolts in that scale. Just have to see. Not too sure if the degree wheel will be printable or not though and that may be something that might have to be photo etched to still be there.

So I machined the crankshaft stub this afternoon. Wasn't too hard to do. I really need to look into some tooling for this lathe. Have the tooling will help greatly in machining the parts I require but I make do with what I have. Still looking into mills at the moment though. Probably have to wait on the rotary table for a bit however.

Various stages of machining the crank stub.

Front half. Now keep in mind I took a print from a Chrysler Hemi crank and used that and modified the back of it obviously to work with my engine. I still need to machine the seal retainer but that's a project for tomorrow.

DSC_0784-vi.jpg

DSC_0785-vi.jpg

The back half of the crank stub which registers with the hole in the block.

DSC_0789-vi.jpg

In the block it sits!

DSC_0791-vi.jpg

And the stack up of parts to make the assembly within the block.

DSC_0794-vi.jpg

DSC_0795-vi.jpg

DSC_0796-vi.jpg

DSC_0797-vi.jpg

DSC_0798-vi.jpg

Paul... This is so awesome!!! It is great to see the engine all printed up. It looks killer. I know you have to be super pumped about it, I would be for sure. I am digging it. I may have to get one for myself ;). Also I need to talk to ya. Glad to see you getting some bench time in.

• mr68gts changed the title to 69 pro mod chevelle, chassis started mock ups