Model Cars Magazine Forum

'40 willys gasser motor...

GMHoover

Think the first gen Olds Rocket topped out at 394 c.i., so that would be possible too.  As Marc said, could be any of those displacements.

Since this kit was designed in the early-to-mid '60s, starting with a 394 would have been the hot ticket in a 1:1, with a 371 the next choice.  Also keep in mind a 1:1 engine could be bored and or stroked to increase the factory displacement, so there's really no definite answer.  (I have no idea what kind of rules/limitations there might have been in the gas classes regarding displacements and the altering of such)

Edited by Robberbaron

It's supposed to be a 394, although it could theoretically be any displacement that size or larger.  

The 394 was the last of the first generation Oldsmobile OHV V8's and the kit includes the cylinder heads/individual exhaust header layout that was a relatively late revision in the 15-year run of this engine (1949-1964); earlier versions of the engine had siamesed center exhaust ports and 3-downtube headers or exhaust manifolds, as opposed to the four-downtube headers in this kit.     TIM  

This is a really timely post - I was just building up an engine yesterday that I THINK is from one of these kits, but I wasn't sure - anyone able to ID this thing for me?

03502933083865-vi.jpg

That one looks like it was designed in the 1960s by Revell and is probably from one of the issues of the Stone, Woods, and Cook Willys.

If I'm remembering correctly it's an Olds so 303,324 or371

Think the first gen Olds Rocket topped out at 394 c.i., so that would be possible too.  As Marc said, could be any of those displacements.

Since this kit was designed in the early-to-mid '60s, starting with a 394 would have been the hot ticket in a 1:1, with a 371 the next choice.  Also keep in mind a 1:1 engine could be bored and or stroked to increase the factory displacement, so there's really no definite answer.  (I have no idea what kind of rules/limitations there might have been in the gas classes regarding displacements and the altering of such)

The 394 was the last of the first generation Oldsmobile OHV V8's and the kit includes the cylinder heads/individual exhaust header layout that was a relatively late revision in the 15-year run of this engine (1949-1964); earlier versions of the engine had siamesed center exhaust ports and 3-downtube headers or exhaust manifolds, as opposed to the four-downtube headers in this kit.     TIM  

Correct, all the above.  :D

This is a really timely post - I was just building up an engine yesterday that I THINK is from one of these kits, but I wasn't sure - anyone able to ID this thing for me?

Definitely positively from one of the first-gen releases of the Revell Olds-powered SWC Willys. Note also the big ol' Hydro-stick trans (A B&M racing automatic based on the early GM Hydramatic). 

If you're concerned with accuracy, this engine / trans combo should really also be supported in the center (under the bellbousing ears) as it is in the SWC Willys.