Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Ford Fairlane 427 Compitetion Coup

While waiting on the paint to dry on the tow rig, (Meng Ford F350 Super Duty Super Crew and a Galaxy tandem trailer)  I decided to start on the race car.

Moebius is going to be releasing the 65 Comet Cyclone this month. I have had 3 of those kits on pre order for 2 years. I was going to use one to build a 427 Comet but I found out that they are going to release a second version of the kit with the 427 conversion already kitted up so I am going to wait for that release to build the 427 AFX car.

Until then I want to have another of my "wish I had one of those" race cars the 66 427 Ford Fairlane.

I am saving my real 427 AMT kit for another build and am using the GT kit with parts from the  Revell 64 Thunderbolt to soup it up.

I am using parts box wheels and tires, here is the stance I am going for and I have started on the chassis mods so that the slicks will fit. Cutting the wheel wells and moving the frame rails in. Cutting out the stock gas tank and putting in a filler panel for the fuel cell in the trunk. I am going to graft the tear drop scoop to the kit hood.

Good start. Love the frame set up.

Quick question, is that a lacquer based putty? If so, after awhile it will shrink on you, and you will have sink marks. If that's what it is, I'd dig it out and fill with epoxy first. Just sayin, been there and have some showing where I filled on the shelf.  

Good start. Love the frame set up.

Quick question, is that a lacquer based putty? If so, after awhile it will shrink on you, and you will have sink marks. If that's what it is, I'd dig it out and fill with epoxy first. Just sayin, been there and  have some showing where I filled on the shelf.  

Took your advise and switched it to epoxy.

I also started carving out the front end to make it look a little better

Edited by Reeves Racing

• 2 weeks later...