Model Cars Magazine Forum

If you could only build one more model kit, what would it be?

Ok, probably a morbid thought. But I'm getting ready for heart bypass surgery and am full of morbid thoughts right now. :(

But if you knew for whatever reason you could only build one more model before you were done, which would it be?

Would you build one of the ones you've been holding on to until your skills were good enough even though the skills still aren't there?
Your favorite all time kit just once more? A subject you've always wanted to try but never got around to it yet? A super rare kit that would eat up your last dime?

ETC.

Looking for specific kits as well as why.

Oh, and no saying a kit that hasn't been released and won't be for another ten years. :lol:

Yes, I am bored stiff right now.

Thanks,

Russ

Just to start this off, and what got me thinking about it.

I think mine would be the Boss Mustang Funny Car from Revell. I do have it, have had it for maybe 18 years. It is one that has always been a "my skills are not ready yet" kit, but I always see it in the stash and want to build it anyway. I built one as a kid when it first came out (never re released to the best of my knowledge). The 69 Mustang Coupe is my favorite all time real car anyway and that also factors into it.

Russ

My sister bought me a 1/12 Tamiya Ferrari F1 kit, 312T4 I believe, probably over 30 years ago as a birthday present. It still sits in my stash, along with numerous other neglected model kits. That would be my choice. Required skills on my part or not, it would be full speed ahead! LOL

Would you build one of the ones you've been holding on to until your skills were good enough even though the skills still aren't there?

It's a funny thing... I built kits as a kid. As a young adult, say age 18 through my 20s I still looked at the model aisle and occasionally bought something.  I had two boxes of kits put aside for someday.  Then around 1986 I got back into the hobby and my goal was to hone my skills good enough to build those kits I had put aside.. mostly Mopar muscle cars.  30 years later I've built a lot of models and have gained skills way past what I imagined back then.   And wouldn't ya know... I've never built one of those kits!  They are all still in the stash!

And Russ don't you be worried about that heart surgery!   Nowadays it's very routine and you'll be much, much better than new in no time!  :)

The most prized kit in my "Some Day ..." stash is the MPC 1978 Chevy Pickup annual . I had a few of them when they were new ; none of them survived the ham-handed 8 year old yours truly.. The 1978 annual is unique : first year of the MPC. C/K series , but the only year for the 2-wheel-drive version . Finding another unbuilt sample eluded me for decades ... until I found a "Buy It Now" sample for a very reasonable price ( less than $100 , more than $50 ) . At last , I had my hands on a primo 1978 C 10 !

Well , it's been looking at me every day for the last 4 years ! Ha ha ha ! In preparation for "some day" , I purchase a set of resin plain wheels with hubcaps ( which is how I've always wanted to build it . The original , of course , had fancier factory wheels ( with some nice custom wheels as an option ) , but 90% of the pickups that were around when I grew up in the 70s.were shod with plain wheels & hubcaps ; that's how I want(ed) mine to look : plain , work type truck , but with headers and side pipes .

And now I have the opportunity!  

But , I digress ... I hope to build that rascal before I lose my vision or "buy the farm" .

Can't name one kit, but I do have two signature projects I'd like to do before I kick it.

The first is a set of nine First Gen Camaros--one each '67, '68, and '69, in red, white, and blue. The Reds would be original AMT and MPC kits build as factory stock SS/RSs. The Whites would be Jenkins' Grumpy's Toys III, IV, and VI. The Blues would be the '67, '68, and '69 Donahue/Sunoco Trans Am racers. Wouldn't they all look great in a triple-decker display case together!

The other would be a 1969 Chevrolet showroom, or small dealership, diorama. I've got at least "one of everything" including rare original AMT Impala, El Camino, and pickup, and have all the showroom literature to photo-reduce.

I think that is a good question....  It's a hard choice between Monogram 1/8 Jaguar XK-E Coupe my holy grail kit... And a Gunze Sangyo ( Multi-media) 1/12 1941 Indian Sport Scout....

But I would have to choose the Indian....   It is one of the most awesome kits I have seen ( that I can afford ) .... Cast metal - plastic - photo etched parts.  

Builds into an awesome model..!

IMG_1265.jpg

Sorry to hear about your need for surgery,  I certainly hope that goes very smoothly for you.   For whatever it's worth my next door neighbor had a double by-pass when he was about 80 years old, and he was home out in the yard raking leaves less than a week after his operation!   He finally did pass on, but not for another 10 years!  And I'm not even sure if his final demise was related to his heart.  I don't recall as that was some years ago, but I vividly remember him out there raking leaves right after coming home from a double by-pass surgery because I was amazed that he was feeling that good at 80 years old so quick after an operation like that.

In any case, I'm glad you asked this question because you got me thinking about it, and I came up with the following model that I would like to build.

tamiya-yamaha-virago-xv1000-cf444.jpge

The reason I chose this model is because I have the real thing out in the garage currently undergoing a complete rebuild.  Right now I'm still in the process of disassembling the original bike for a total overhaul, everything except the engine which is in really good shape.  In any case I just realized that it would be cool to build this model alongside the actual real life project.  Then when I'm done with both of them I'll have a matched pair.  One full-sized and ride-able, and the other a 1:12 scale model look-alike.  So thanks for the suggestion!

Sorry to hear about your need for surgery,  I certainly hope that goes very smoothly for you.   For whatever it's worth my next door neighbor had a double by-pass when he was about 80 years old, and he was home out in the yard raking leaves less than a week after his operation!   He finally did pass on, but not for another 10 years!  And I'm not even sure if his final demise was related to his heart.  I don't recall as that was some years ago, but I vividly remember him out there raking leaves right after coming home from a double by-pass surgery because I was amazed that he was feeling that good at 80 years old so quick after an operation like that.

In any case, I'm glad you asked this question because you got me thinking about it, and I came up with the following model that I would like to build.

tamiya-yamaha-virago-xv1000-cf444.jpge

The reason I chose this model is because I have the real thing out in the garage currently undergoing a complete rebuild.  Right now I'm still in the process of disassembling the original bike for a total overhaul, everything except the engine which is in really good shape.  In any case I just realized that it would be cool to build this model alongside the actual real life project.  Then when I'm done with both of them I'll have a matched pair.  One full-sized and ride-able, and the other a 1:12 scale model look-alike.  So thanks for the suggestion!

Wow!

That's kind of funny. :)

I bought a brand new Virago 1000 back in '85.

My first new bike.

It was the "Glorious Maxi Brown" color combination.

I traded it in '96, with less than 10,000 original miles, for a "Wild Cherry" Royal Star.

I still own the Star.

The Virago was a great bike, but I wanted something that I could ride comfortably all day long.

The first year that I bought the Royal Star we took a trip through 8 states covering over 3,000 miles.

I never could have done that on the Virago.

But I miss the Virago, & I basically gave it away when I traded it.

I built the model many years ago too.

I think I may still have the remnants if that kit around some where.

Thanks for the memories James!

Steve

@ Steve,

My Virago is actually a 750, but this model would be close enough, you can't really tell them apart much other than maybe for some engine details.  I also took off the stock seat and replaced it with a really nice King-Queen seat.  That makes a huge difference in the ride comfort.   In fact, after I made the post here I was wondering how I would fabricate a replica scale King-Queen seat?   I also have black leather saddle bags on the back, and an after market windshield on the front.  With the wider King-Queen seat, the saddle bags, and the windshield it actually looks like a much larger bike.  I only use it locally anyway, so I don't take major trips with it.  But it's really nice to have a bike in the summer.  And the saddle bags come in handy for picking up a few items from the grocery store.

I just realized also that my pipes are different.  I have one pipe on each side, they also flare out at the end instead of narrowing down.  So this model isn't going to be an exact match of my bike anyway.  But I could probably bash it to look pretty close.  Other than the add-ons and the different pipes the rest is pretty much identical.

I will keep you in my prayers on the surgery but they are very good at it anymore as said.

WOW...this would be a very tough choice for me...I just cant narrow it down to just one but it would be one of these....

68,69 Bonneville

69,70 Grand Prix

75 Firebird TA

66 Chrysler 300 HT

Monogram (Uni-Real Roller)had one as a kid many years ago. 

I would pick the 1/16 scale Garlits,dragster in full detail. It would take me probably 20 years at my skill level.

As to why, I love the Diggers,met him many times at Miami Hollywood Speedway in the 60's and 70's.

And I know I would still be around that long. Although, with my back pain,maybe not so sure.

I think it would be either one of these two...

Model Car World resin '63 Chevy II 2D Sedan. Why? Well, I would build a model of my real car, '62 Chevy II. I'd just need a correct '62 grill, but otherwise this transkit and Trumpeter '63 Nova HT would do the trick.

63nova2dr.jpg

Or then Aurora '34 Ford Double Kit. This is one of the kits I've dreamed about for a long time. Ultra rare and expensive, so probably I never get to it, but I'd really like to have one...And of course build it!

aurora34ford1-vi.jpg

Take a Johan 1969 GTX annual kit and slice the roof off of it to replicate my old car .

To be honest I am on the hunt for one to do just that. So if anyone has  one they wish to cut loose of , PM me . even if its just the body. I have everything else to do the conversion.

@ Steve,

My Virago is actually a 750, but this model would be close enough, you can't really tell them apart much other than maybe for some engine details.  I also took off the stock seat and replaced it with a really nice King-Queen seat.  That makes a huge difference in the ride comfort.   In fact, after I made the post here I was wondering how I would fabricate a replica scale King-Queen seat?   I also have black leather saddle bags on the back, and an after market windshield on the front.  With the wider King-Queen seat, the saddle bags, and the windshield it actually looks like a much larger bike.  I only use it locally anyway, so I don't take major trips with it.  But it's really nice to have a bike in the summer.  And the saddle bags come in handy for picking up a few items from the grocery store.

I just realized also that my pipes are different.  I have one pipe on each side, they also flare out at the end instead of narrowing down.  So this model isn't going to be an exact match of my bike anyway.  But I could probably bash it to look pretty close.  Other than the add-ons and the different pipes the rest is pretty much identical.

Correct James, there weren't a lot of differences visually between the 1000 & the 750.

It's been a lot of years since I bought my '85, but I believe the only differences appearance wise were the color choices & of course the most obvious one, the gold trim.

The 750 had none, & the 1000 was dripping with it!

I believe the 750 was minus the passenger back rest as well.

If I'm not mistaken, the color choices in '85 were monotone red or black for the 750, & two tone red or brown for the 1000.

I believe the 1000 may have been available in black as well.

Steve

Yes, I had to add the back rest too. I used a lightly taller sissy bar as well.

My was also a 1982 it looked very much like the one in the photo below when I bought it.

001.jpg

It was mundane black like this one.  It's a shameful mess right now.  It ended up being stored in a shed that had a leaky roof and the paint all blistered off and a lot of the chrome is now rusty.  I'm too ashamed to post a photo of the actual bike.  Its pretty bad.  This is why I'm totally disassembling it and redoing the whole thing.  Fortunately then engine itself seems to have made it through without too much cosmetic damage.  I'm thinking of painting it yellow,  I current have the fuel tank sanded and primer, and the side covers aren't bad since they are plastic.  I'm going to do them in bright yellow and leave the Yamaha logo off the tank. Mainly because the original logos are pretty ugly and they seem to be a bit pricey to replace, so I'll just leave them off.  I like the simple clean look anyway.

By the way, I wish I had a 1941 Indian Sport Scout that Davemodeltech posted out in my garage to rebuild.  That would really be cool.  But I guess this 82' Virago will have to do as my "antique" restoration project since this is what I have to work with. :D

Recovering from what could have been a major life altering (not to mention life ending) illness, I understand the OP's mind set.

I'd build one of the DML Panzer IV D's in my stash. 900+ parts and a turret interior would definitely take my mind off the "issues".