Model Cars Magazine Forum

Early '60s, NHRA legal Chevy C/Gas Supercharged 'gasser'

traditional

I've seen too many models of "gassers' that wouldn't have passed tech inspection in the day since they're more like 'run what ya brung' racers, so I'm just completing this '55 Chevy gasser using the NHRA rule books (from ''62/'63/64) for guidance. The body is originally from a Revell 1/25 American Graffiti 'snap kit' that had only an opening hood. I've cut open the doors and trunk, built up a 4-71 GMC supercharged Chevy small-block, fabricated an aluminum floor and trunk interior, brass and aluminum straight front axle (with steering), set back the engine the legal 10%, cut open the front fenders to become a one-piece flip front end, simple tuck-n-roll basic upholstery, legal lightweight front seats, raised the front of the roof area (disproportionately low from Revell), and fabricated a myriad of brackets and details to complete the model. Paint is custom mixed basecoat/clearcoat darkish orange and the wheels are from the Revell Orange Crate (rear) and Round2 Willys pickup gasser (front). The car sits relatively level and the height is the legal maximum of the rocker panels being no higher than the center of the rear hubs. The legal 150 lb maximum battery is mounted in the trunk for rear weight bias, and the 301" Chevy engine is mounted no higher than the two ft ground to crankshaft center.

PB170186.JPG

PB200206.JPG

PB150158.JPG

PB250212.JPG

PB130132.JPG

PC090260.JPG

PC090261.JPG

PC090262.JPG

PB070113-001.JPG

PB100121-001.JPG

PB150162.JPG

PB300220.JPG

Edited by traditional

"I've seen too many models of "gassers' that wouldn't have passed tech inspection in the day since they're more like 'run what ya brung' racers, so I'm just completing this '55 Chevy gasser using the NHRA rule books (from ''62/'63/64) for guidance. "

You're so right. It always gets me going when people post any of the Revell gassers (except the Thames and Anglia) that had the round tube chassis and call them gassers. Round tube chassis were not class legal in the sixties. Those were for the "hot cars" like altereds. 

I love your build. Did this start with a die-cast body? Its a great build. 

Edited by iBorg
quotes gone crazy.....of failure to use insert quote correctly.

You're so right. It always gets me going when people post any of the Revell gassers (except the Thames and Anglia) that had the round tube chassis and call them gassers. Round tube chassis were not class legal in the sixties. Those were for the "hot cars" like altereds. 

I love your build. Did this start with a die-cast body? Its a great build. 

Yes, the basic Chevy 150 sedan body was the only diecast part in the original snap-kit....I don't have any particular allegiance to 'plastic only' and I do really like working with diecast bodies because, although modifications like cutting open doors and trunk-lids are much more time consuming and difficult, the resulting finished product usually retains considerably more structural integrity.  Also, my hobby background is in 1/1 restoration, so I also like being able to use real automotive products in the body-work such as Bondo and automotive paints, primers, etc. 

Yes, the basic Chevy 150 sedan body was the only diecast part in the original snap-kit....I don't have any particular allegiance to 'plastic only' and I do really like working with diecast bodies because, although modifications like cutting open doors and trunk-lids are much more time consuming and difficult, the resulting finished product usually retains considerably more structural integrity.  Also, my hobby background is in 1/1 restoration, so I also like being able to use real automotive products in the body-work such as Bondo and automotive paints, primers, etc. 

Are you sure this wasn't a Revell kit? Looks a lot like the Revell AG '55 Chevy. (If so, it will save me a bunch of work trying to track down an ERTL kit.)

Are you sure this wasn't a Revell kit? Looks a lot like the Revell AG '55 Chevy. (If so, it will save me a bunch of work trying to track down an ERTL kit)

Yes, Richard, you're absolutely correct.

I tracked down the box and it says Revell.  I must have been confusing it with the 1/18 version.   I apologize for the mix-up, and I'll edit the post