Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello from Missouri

Hello to all. I am returning to the hobby after being away from it for decades. My, how things have changed! I will be trying to make police car blanks. My goal is to make reasonably accurate, but not super-detailed, police car bodies from resin, and therefore to learn how to become a resin-caster. I am not doing this as a business, to become a resin-casting company. Just as a hobby. I am so glad I found this website, it is very cool. Thanks for letting me join!

Hi there. Well, the plan is to make metalized masters. I want to spend my time making the master models myself out of resin and plastic, make a final silicon mold, then make a metallic final master. I'll try to do that by making one version of the model out of a resin impregnated with metal dust, such as brass. Then I can make however many models I want with the silicon mold, and when it wears out I can use the metal master to make a new mold. I enjoy the building phase more than anything else, and I'm not interested in making models for competition. So I think this way, I can make models of cars that I like (police cars, for example), and not have to worry about what to do when the mold wears out. I'm not planning to do this as a business because I just want to do it as a hobby. However, if someone wanted a copy of a model I make, I imagine some trading could be arranged.