Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mopar Super Stock Reference material ?

Have you checked hardcover publications like Super Stock by Larry Davis, or Proving Ground by Jim Schild, or Maximum Performance by Jim Schild also? These books are great with lots of photos and text and I was lucky enough to purchase them when they first came into publication. They might still be available as used books if you look around. I hope that this helps.

Trying to find some reference photos and information on some of the 64 Mopar Super Stock cars, Ramchargers, Color Me Gone etc. Looking for interior, engine compartment and suspension. Haven't found much on Google or other sights. Any help appreciated as always.

Jon,

In the opening of the video posted by Ace, a book is shown. "We Were the Ramchargers" by Dave Strickler appears to be a good info reference.

There appears to be some tribute cars to these old racers, so compare and contrast details if you are going for accuracy. Cars get updated and personalized for many reasons, but aren't in "as raced" trim from 1964.

Just my 2cents, but use the car in that video as a very loose reference. My gut feeling is its a clone.

I'm going off of memory but I dont think the original Ramchargers car had a roll bar in it. its a 71 and up steering wheel , radiator etc etc

This might be a good read

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ramchargers-vs-golden-commandos-back-story-revealed/

I do think the car in the video is a clone I noticed the grille was painted white where the raced cars were chrome or stainless . I was most interested in engine detail and roll bar as the one in the kit was not correct as the slicks were too wide also. There are a lot of pics on the facebook and web pages of the Ramchargers and Golden Commandos but most of them are just pics of the outside of the car. I will check out the hot rod article.

Thanks 

One thing I'm about 99% sure of is that the front seats in the '64 "Race Hemi Lightweight Package" cars were borrowed from the little A-100, being the lightest OEM Mopar seats available. They were mounted on custom aluminum frames with largish "lightening holes" visible on the sides.

A 95-pound truck battery was fitted in the RR corner of the trunk, too.

The grilles as-delivered were anodized aluminum.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

My best advice is pick a team and/or individuals car at a particular point in time and use it and only it as a reference.

Keep in mind ,,,,,These cars changed almost race to race. some were very little  ,,others made huge changes from one race to the next . Team cars were the ones that usually made the most changes from one race to the next as they tend to have  factory backed access to info,

Are you looking for info for any particular teams and/or owners car ?

I have a pretty good picture file on the PC, a file cabinet full of old magazines ,,,and  a box full of old National Dragster magazines. Most of my stuff is early 60s to very early 70s . It just lots of time to go thru old paper files / magazines . Google is ok, but can be very hit or miss on info dependent on how you word the search .

My best advice is pick a team and/or individuals car at a particular point in time and use it and only it as a reference.

Keep in mind ,,,,,These cars changed almost race to race. some were very little  ,,others made huge changes from one race to the next . Team cars were the ones that usually made the most changes from one race to the next as they tend to have  factory backed access to info,

Are you looking for info for any particular teams and/or owners car ?

I have a pretty good picture file on the PC, a file cabinet full of old magazines ,,,and  a box full of old National Dragster magazines. Most of my stuff is early 60s to very early 70s . It just lots of time to go thru old paper files / magazines . Google is ok, but can be very hit or miss on info dependent on how you word the search .

Since I have the Ramcharger decals I thought I would go with that. I was under the impression that on the Hemi engine cars they used a 4 spd but I see the Ramchargers were auto's.

Since I have the Ramcharger decals I thought I would go with that. I was under the impression that on the Hemi engine cars they used a 4 spd but I see the Ramchargers were auto

Yes. Thus the  nickname....'Candymatic' and it had red interior

The Dodge Boys car was a 4spd also red interior

this applies to the 64 dodge sedans