Model Cars Magazine Forum

Inline Dual-Quad Intake for 59 - 62 Chrysler 300

AMT made a kit of the '57 Chrysler 300c and that 413 engine had inline duel quads. The kit also has the correct air cleaners. Remember these cars had a very low hood line. The air filters made a 90 degree bend off the top of the carburetor into a large oval affair that housed the air filter. It is a very nicely done  setup.   

The 57 300C had 392 Hemi wich ended production 1958 and that intake will not work for a 413 as it's different engine familys.
Jo-Han had a 2 X 4 bbl intake and air cleaners for B/RB engines in their 62 and 63 Chrysler 300's but I don't think anyone cast them...I need one myself as I would like to do a correct looking 350 Golden Commando for "Christine".

Edited by Force

force is right the intake on the AMT '57 Chrysler 300C is in fact a 392 Hemi.... NOT a 413! So it wouldn't look right to use it, BUT also he's right about the Jo-Hans kits, but good luck finding those parts! I myself would love to get my hands on a Jo-Hans Sonoramic Commando to use else where (65 Chrysler 300 came with an engine with that intake!)

Force, that intake you need for Christine, can be found in the following kits:

Jo-Hans '62 Chrysler 300 Hard top

Jo-Hans '63 Chrysler 300 

Edited by 426-Hemi
Typing errors

thanks for the replies fellas. yes, i'm aware of the kit parts in the JoHan Chrysler 300 kits of 62-3; however those are rare as stated and pretty inaccurate to boot, as it seems to represent a dual-plane. the real deal is single plane as shown. with a set of air cleaners and Fireball Modelworks AFB's , a manifold like this would very nicely back-date Revell's excellent 68-69 Charger 440 and AMT's great 71 Charger 440 engines for early-'60's hot rod duty and would look great under the hoods of the Moebius 65 Satellite and Lindberg 64 Dodges & Plymouths too

thanks for the replies fellas. yes, i'm aware of the kit parts in the JoHan Chrysler 300 kits of 62-3; however those are rare as stated and pretty inaccurate to boot, as it seems to represent a dual-plane. the real deal is single plane as shown. with a set of air cleaners and Fireball Modelworks AFB's , a manifold like this would very nicely back-date Revell's excellent 68-69 Charger 440 and AMT's great 71 Charger 440 engines for early-'60's hot rod duty and would look great under the hoods of the Moebius 65 Satellite and Lindberg 64 Dodges & Plymouths too

The others are correct about the engine design. The reason I mentioned the intake swap is because I used the Chrysler manifold for another project several years ago and I really didn't remember that the Chrysler engine was a Hemi, I'm not as knowledgeable as so many others on the Forum when it involves Chrysler products. I had used the intake and carbs. on a '58 Plymouth build years ago and it worked perfect in that application. I thought it might help you with what you were trying to accomplish. Good luck with your search.   

Force, that intake you need for Christine, can be found in the following kits:

Jo-Hans '62 Chrysler 300 Hard top

Jo-Hans '63 Chrysler 300 

I just ckd the intake in my 62 Chryser 300 kits. Its not even close to accurate of an actual 62 or 63 dual carb intake. IMO I think one could scratch build a more accurate piece using a modern tooled piece as a start

Bill,

Yeah that was the early Jo-Hans stuff tho.. very "basic" compared to what we have for details now, I doubt you'll find ANYTHING remotely close to what that engine needs without doing a bunch of scratch building....

BUT those ARE the intake you'd need, just much better detailing! (the air cleaners however for THAT intake are right, as the rear one has a center indent for the front one to fit, just as the real thing was! SO, if you'd scratch build that intake, make it fit THOSE air cleaners! Otherwise, the air cleaners won't be right either!

EDIT:

I bet if you took 2 of the Revell 440 4 barrel intakes, you could kitbash this single intake from 2 of those!!!! Had to edit my posting as it just popped into my head what would do the trick!

Edited by 426-Hemi
See Edit:

The best way to recreate this manifold is by creating a cad stl. file and 3d printing it. The result should be something like this duel quad 318 poly manifold I have recently completed for my 318 A engine.

snapshot00.thumb.png.03b01e385644ee2fa0f

Have you done a 318 Poly then? I'd like to see that! BUT the 318 Poly intake would be a bit different then a RB 413 or 426 Wedge dual plane intake!

The best way to recreate this manifold is by creating a cad stl. file and 3d printing it. The result should be something like this duel quad 318 poly manifold I have recently completed for my 318 A engine.

snapshot00.thumb.png.03b01e385644ee2fa0f

yes, in absence of existing aftermarket this is my plan. i'm "between" desktop PC's right now, my old one which had my CAD and CAD/CAM programs on it had a failure in the power supply and was very old. i chose to purchase a used engineering-purposed workstation PC from the 'Bay and have spec'd out and purchased the Hard Drives and memory for it but have yet to have it built. anyone have some good measurements from any old 1:1 413, 426, or 440 manifold? would need...port spacing, overall length on each bank, bank offset ( i am presuming one port width would be accurate enough of a figure) bolt spacing, face angle (as measured from the horizontal plane), width at top of port flange at ports, bottom width at ports, etc., etc.  

• 3 months later...

I sent this manifold to someone to resin cast way back . Whatever happened , I dunno ?? The proper Air Cleaners were in an AMT kit at one time . I have none and I seek these too . Not the individual low profile chromed affair most of the existance of these . Rather the two were joined . Both were secured to the Carbs with wing nuts . An exaggerated Oval shape at that . Thanx ..   

Not quite , Similar enough to pass as the same .

1963Plymouth.jpgair-cleaner-stash-002-small-jpg.17148130

I did two internet searches . The above pic is a mid '60's . These , the Silver set in the foreground are what I am referring to . They interlock and one cannot be removed without the other . This style is what I remember working on '58 - '61 inline dual quad MoPars .  Thanx .. 

Edited by dimaxion