Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th scale funny car W.I.P

Mal.au

Hi Guys

I have started another WIP maybe I might even finish this one

I have included a couple of pictures as a start, I am going to build it as if it has been restored in recent times, I notice the Blue Max funny car that has been restored by Chuck & Del Worsham has a blower Blanket, so I would imagine that it would have an oil pan dipper and probably some other stuff I'm sure I haven't figured on yet.

I modified the Quick change to resemble a rear end based on a 9", the round part of the back of the diff is an eye that I acquired from my wifes Teddy bear making supplies

Fc9inch.jpg

I cut the pin from the stub axles and made a pin from a 1:1 nail, so I can glue the axle as one peice then add the stub axles later once they are painted

FCfrontend.jpg

Hope you enjoy what I have so far

Mal

Edited by Mal.au

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

Well looking at the dates its been two years since I added to this, which is really bad, I can't even say I have been building other stuff because I haven't

I have been working on the funny car after a chance meeting with the owner driver of it from the 80's

Here you go

Regards

Mal

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

Last but not least what the real thing looked like

JimWalton_AAFC_November1981.jpg

Very Nice Start to this kit. I am very excited about watching this build as I have plans for a 1/16 scale Funny car once I get one of my other kits completed. What kit did this start out as and is the body a resin body. I am asking because I haven't seen this body in 1/16 before. It seems lately I am all about looking for 1/16 scale stuff on the net... B) anyway my friend I can't wait to see more pictures of this.

Hi Chris

The chassis is just one of the revel 1/16th scale funny cars I think it was a charger but I am not sure..

The body came from a guy from the 1/16th scale drag board I am a member of, he does a lot of bodies including the Monza, a 76 mustang and most recently an Arrow

Flash point resin does some bodies as well

I had to extend the wheel base of the chassis just a touch and lower the rear a lot to get it look right, the wheels/tires come from a guy in Canada he also does Etch metal for 1/16th funny cars and dragsters plus other resin stuff

Hope this helps

Mal

Hi Chris

The chassis is just one of the revel 1/16th scale funny cars I think it was a charger but I am not sure..

The body came from a guy from the 1/16th scale drag board I am a member of, he does a lot of bodies including the Monza, a 76 mustang and most recently an Arrow

Flash point resin does some bodies as well

I had to extend the wheel base of the chassis just a touch and lower the rear a lot to get it look right, the wheels/tires come from a guy in Canada he also does Etch metal for 1/16th funny cars and dragsters plus other resin stuff

Hope this helps

Mal

Hey Mal, nice work so far can't wait to see how it looks after the bodywork is finished. Great job on gettingthe body to sit right those kits are notorious for having the tailend hiked a scale 3 ft higher than they should be. Would you mind posting the contact info for the gentleman that's doing the 1/16th Etch metal/ Resin pieces your speaking of? I'd like to see some of his pieces and place an order for a few 1/16th scale FC's I'm planning to build.

Thanks

Chris White

Hey Mal, nice work so far can't wait to see how it looks after the bodywork is finished. Great job on gettingthe body to sit right those kits are notorious for having the tailend hiked a scale 3 ft higher than they should be. Would you mind posting the contact info for the gentleman that's doing the 1/16th Etch metal/ Resin pieces your speaking of? I'd like to see some of his pieces and place an order for a few 1/16th scale FC's I'm planning to build.

Thanks

Chris White

I am with Chris here, would you mind posting the contact info for this 1/16th Scale stuff and even the guy from your 1/16th scale drag board. Mal actually can you post the link to this drag board. would love to see more 1/16th scale stuff to give me some ideas. I have a bunch of 1/16 scale kits that I am wanting to do. Thanks again

This is very interesting project. I love H-Bodys and Monzas/Skyhawks/Starfires are best of H-Bodys. That was a good drag car because it's small and light and with big V8 it's very wild ride like yours.

Greg Fox sells many if not all of teh 1/16th bodies on eBay. His user ID is "greg-anne" or something similar. If you do a search for "1/16" his tuff will turn up in the search.

I used to build only teh Revell 1/16th F/C stuff, now not so much. I do cast some 1/16th wheels for use with the Revell F/Cs, but now only have my Duracharome Bug project left....I need to get back to that project again.