Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage AMT 1966 Mustang Convertible

Fast Floyd 2

A little something I've been working on, between projects. It's a Original issue AMT 1966 Mustang Convertible/coupe, re-builder. I haven't decided on a color yet, but it will come. LOL!! 1f642.png:) I'm kind of leaning towards Black with Red interior, and a Red GT stripe along the Rocker panels. Not sure yet. I also added a couple of "before" pic's at the end.
Thanks for looking, let me know what you think. :) 

That's Sweet!!!!!! Ron!!!

Thank you. One of my college friends had a Caspian Blue '65 Convertible, which I may do a build of at a later date. When I was building the convertible, I was going to do a red one, but I built a Monogram Convertible in red, so I went with Blue with the Blue/White Pony Interior.

I like the first generation Mustangs very much. When I was a kid, my best friend's sister got a Black '64 1/2 coupe on the weekend of the introduction in April 1964. I remember the car, and I plan to do a model of it, which I have started, and now is lost somewhere in my basement.

I have several versions of the original AMT '64 1/2 through '66 Mustangs, including an unbuilt original '64 1/2 Mustang Coupe/Convertible kit, and '65 and '66 Fastbacks to restore like what you are doing.

Awesome!! I'd love to find a GT grill I'd have that Cast if I could find a nice one.

I used the kit GT grille on my '66. One of the projects I plan to finish this year is my '67 GT Fastback, either in Acapulco Blue, or Red. 

Rons67Mustang.jpg

Rons67Mustang2.jpg

67MustangFastback.jpg

and I may use this derelict to do the '64 1/2 Hardtop like my friend's sister's car.

MamaMeetingJanuary182014181_zpsa166a17d.

I have so many projects to finish, and I get new inspirations every day for a project.

I used the kit GT grille on my '66. One of the projects I plan to finish this year is my '67 GT Fastback, either in Acapulco Blue, or Red. 

Rons67Mustang.jpg

Rons67Mustang2.jpg

67MustangFastback.jpg

and I may use this derelict to do the '64 1/2 Hardtop like my friend's sister's car.

MamaMeetingJanuary182014181_zpsa166a17d.

I have so many projects to finish, and I get new inspirations every day for a project.

Awesome Projects!! I have the 64.5-65 vert/HT too. who ever built it used the Prototype/show car front & rear Fascias on it, so they had to cut the bottom of the front fencers off. I plan on clipping the front end with a 66 coupe.

Here's a Shot of my Original AMT 67 Mustang GT

Awesome!! I'd love to find a 66 GT grill I'd have that Cast if I could find a nice one.

I told you, I think R&M of MD makes them. And also the Shelby grille from the fastback kit. Or at least they used to.

Fun fact: The AMT '66 Mustang Fastback/GT and HT/Conv were almost completely separate kits. You'd think they'd be the same except for the body, glass, and interior shells, but no. Whole lotta different custom parts between the two--taillights, pans, wheels, etc. And I think the FB had separate headlight lenses and the HT had chrome ones (but I might be wrong about that).

I told you, I think R&M of MD makes them. And also the Shelby grille from the fastback kit. Or at least they used to.

Fun fact: The AMT '66 Mustang Fastback/GT and HT/Conv were almost completely separate kits. You'd think they'd be the same except for the body, glass, and interior shells, but no. Whole lotta different custom parts between the two--taillights, pans, wheels, etc. And I think the FB had separate headlight lenses and the HT had chrome ones (but I might be wrong about that).

I found their phone number, but no website, I found a Video with Doctor Cranky advertising for them. that's where I got the phone number.
Snake to they have a web site?

Amazingly, Norm still doesn't have a website AFAIK. Someone has a Fotki page showing many of their products, but I don't remember what/where it is right offhand. Maybe someone else knows.

I don't know if R&M of MD is offering chromed parts now or not. I know the one I found in my junk last month wasn't chromed.

Amazingly, Norm still doesn't have a website AFAIK. Someone has a Fotki page showing many of their products, but I don't remember what/where it is right offhand. Maybe someone else knows.

I don't know if R&M of MD is offering chromed parts now or not. I know the one I found in my junk last month wasn't chromed.

I'm pretty good with Alclad Chrome, so I cane handle it with no Chrome

A lot of people over 70 do not have websites.  Could they outsource one - of course but he would have to weigh the cost versus the benefit.  He still has to make the parts and package and ship them so don't hold your breath.

Richard, Norm is to busy to have product for shows let alone a web site to make parts. 

Edited by 1930fordpickup

• 4 months later...

I know it's been a minute since I made a post on this Car. I finally found a Gt rear valance, and then made a set of exhaust tips for it. I'm thinking Black paint, and red interior. I'm not sure yet on the interior color.
DSC08223_zpsbmxfpbwb.jpg
DSC08220_zps2chg5y76.jpg
DSC08222_zpsx4kjc75h.jpg
I'm still looking for a 66 GT grill, Anyone out there know of a source?

I emailed Norm yesterday, but have not got a reply back yet.