Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Shelby GT-500 (20 Feb - Under Glass)

taaron76

Looking great so far.  One suggestion for the front suspension to make room for those wide motors is to do what many in the 1:1 world do and do a tubular IFS swap.  Then you can remove the shock towers and put in a big motor.  You can get the parts from some of the street-rod kits or even an old white metal R&D Unique IFS setup.

I do like your 1:1 coupe and noticed the relocated battery, solinoid and all the other under-hood clutter.  Looks clean especially with that nifty Monte Carlo bracket!  When you go four link, are you going to mini-tub?

Looking great so far.  One suggestion for the front suspension to make room for those wide motors is to do what many in the 1:1 world do and do a tubular IFS swap.  Then you can remove the shock towers and put in a big motor.  You can get the parts from some of the street-rod kits or even an old white metal R&D Unique IFS setup.

I do like your 1:1 coupe and noticed the relocated battery, solinoid and all the other under-hood clutter.  Looks clean especially with that nifty Monte Carlo bracket!  When you go four link, are you going to mini-tub?

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of room up front to do anything major with the suspension, but I'm adding a little to it to at least give it some detail.

As far as my 1:1, I probably won't do any tubbing at all.  I've got 245's on the rear now with plenty of room and the 4-link would allow more a little bit more, which I think should be enough for what I'm after.  Thanks for the compliments!

Tim

I put some BMF on it last night and got the windows cut and buffed since I deleted the vent windows.  I also made a roll bar and extended it to the chassis in the rear.  The front bumper is just there for looks... I will probably strip it, clean it up and Alclad it.  I had to order longer bolts for the 4-link, so hopefully next week I can get that mocked up and assembled.

Tim

51506060271191-vi.jpg

57506060277784-vi.jpg

03506060283533-vi.jpg

An FYI - the insides of the chrome grille/bumper area are body color on the real car.  It looks great so far and curious what it will look like when it is finished.

I haven't even started on that part yet, so it is just there as a placeholder.  This kit is not the best kit to work with, and the front grill and rear tail light section will take some customization to make it look ok.

Tim

Nice work on this build. All aspects are looking great. 

I am curious where the 4-Link kit is from. I see the bags of parts you showed but can't seem to find where you got them

The 4-link kit came from http://futurattraction.com/7.html  

The nuts, bots, rods and rod ends came from http://www.rbmotion.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=70 

I used the 9-inch out of a 55 Ford drag car and modified it to find the build, which was basically just the pumpkin.  I made new axle and axle tubes out of aluminum rod/pipe and styrene.

Tim

Made some more progress on the 427 this weekend.  My intention was to use Holley 750's for the carbs, but they were too big for the intake without turning them sideways, so I went with dual Holley 4160's since they are a little shorter.  Ran the fuel lines and the vacuum between the two carbs and the dipstick tube. 

Tim

28506790628551-vi.jpg

33506790633634-vi.jpg

38506790638215-vi.jpg