Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Shelby GT-500 (20 Feb - Under Glass)

taaron76

It's been almost 1 1/2 years since I picked up anything model car related, but the winter is the perfect opportunity to get started again.  For the last year, I have been  restoring my life size model car, my '66 Mustang.  I always seem to lean on cutting the doors and trunk out in order to hinge them because I like the look of it.  Once you do it once, it becomes the only way to go in my book.  This kit is pretty challenging because out of the box, it really isn't a good kit to try and do anything custom on.  I will be using a lot parts from different spares I've collected over the years, but this is a start of what more than likely will take 2-3 months for finish just because I don't have a lot of time at the moment.

Here are a few pictures where both of them stand today.

'68 Shelby GT-500

44503433284337-vi.jpg

37503433277935-vi.jpg

50503433290618-vi.jpg

58503433298087-vi.jpg

My '66 Mustang.

52484165612543-vi.jpg

18501525438716-vi.jpg

Edited by taaron76

Looking forward to watching this one.  The mockup looks great!  Very clean 66 as well.  I have a 65 coupe that I started a replica of several years ago.  Got carried away with trying to super-detail it and lost interest.  Maybe I'll finish it one of these days.

One day I will start the replica of my '66.  I am going to wait until I do the 3/4 link and coilover conversion.  Thanks!

Tim

Took some time and cut all of the doors and trunk out, then hinged them up.  I have to recreate the A-pillar vent window support because there isn't enough plastic there once you cut the doors out.  The hardest part of the build is definitely hinging, followed by making all of the fitment piece to cover the gaps on the interior side to include the door panels and door jambs.  Lots more to do before this one is even close to being ready for primer and paint, but one day at a time.  This one will be covered with Gravity Colors Ferrari Rosso Red and then Gravity Colors Clear.

Tim

14503897714741-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress over the last couple of weeks, but making the door jambs and everything else that doesn't magically appear when you cut and hinge the doors is tedious work. Since this will have a 4-link, I deleted the back seat and boxed the rear compartment in. All of my parts came in to make the 4-link functional, but still making the coilovers and the rest of the hardware that attaches to the axle housing and frame. The ride height isn't exactly set, but when I finish the suspension, it will be pretty close to this. The 4-link will be function, so I will be able to adjust it as needed. Still debating on putting the 427 in it, or the 5.0 Coyote engine.

Tim

17505284737228-vi.jpg

23505284743705-vi.jpg

42505284762786-vi.jpg

37505284757236-vi.jpg

30505284750142-vi.jpg

Your workmanship makes that less than desirable kit look great.

I'll second that! I built that kit a while back and it was a real downer. You're doing some amazing work with this car Tim. Love the gloss, the details and especially that 1:1 ride you've got.

RB motion stuff rocks as well.