Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Dodge Adventurer Crew Cab

I started collecting parts for this build 2 years ago . Getting a junk Little Red Express in a trade (I forget who it was sorry ) and a few Ebay scrap ones in a job lot . I have a bit of a thing for the Crew Cab pick up for some unknown reason . Maybe it because I helped restore a 1/1 (ex USAF) Ford F 250 Crew cab in my younger days  . I was amazed at the shear size of the thing at nearly 21 feet long  . On the roads of the UK it had some presence and everyone got out of its way. Anyway so far I have studied lots of pics on the net for exactly where to cut the cabs and the interior . The last few parts that I needed were the long bed and a tail gate . I got the bed in another Ebay cheap buy minus the tail gate . After a wanted add on here fellow Mopar fan John (426 HEMI) came to the rescue saying that he could cast one for me. I'm not sure which direction to go with this truck . John said its so simple to 4X4 these Dodge's but I'm not really a fan of 4X4's . Here is a few pics feel free to comment

IMG_6217.JPG

IMG_6218.JPG

I hear what you saying Dan . Its just sat on the metal rods at the moment. I don't have funds for that kind of lift and I'm not too good at scratch building. But we will see its just still in the planning stage . John is very kindly sending me some suspension parts that I have missing so who knows what will happen. Still loads of body work to be getting on with . I have started by adding a plate to the roof to bridge the two cabs saving loads of filler work. I also have to build the rear door frames to the correct shape. I am planning for it to have a Hemi though :P

Thanks for commenting

Unlike the modern trucks of today, crew cab trucks from the 70's & 80's were considered work trucks and heavily used by governments and utility fleets. Many were 4wd, some were 2wd, but back then they were all at least a 3/4 heavy duty chassis. This being your build, it would and could be possible that some creative type builder went the lowered half ton route as well.

Will be interesting to see this one when it's done, you are off to a nice start!

Thanks guys I had thought about the military type truck Mike . If I can get the right wheels / tires then it may just go that way . I kind of like my vehicles low though ? . Decisions decisions . Well I did manage to get the drive shaft tunnel cut out in the rear of the interior and rebuilt the tunnel without the gearbox hump tonight . A bit more work to strengthen the chassis and hide the join in the floor and it will be in for priming

Nice work so far, I think it would look cool as a "jacked up" 4x4 but at the end of the day it is your model and you build it as you see fit, I'm sure it will be a good looking model which ever way you go. Maybe you might consider casting it so others could build it their way.

Edited by Yahshu

There are several resin suppliers that can help you with your wheel/tire and even chassis/driveline choices depending on which route you go. You show the ability to do some scratchbuilding so you may be able to do some of the work yourself, saving time and money in the process.

I think a 4wd is the way to go, either stock or lifted, but that is my preference.

Yes Sir, I'd go 4x4 on that, BUT I would NOT "lift" it to much STOCK height, with MAYBE 34's or 36's or so, noth over 38's.... nothing to too big, you know but to look as tho it was "raise just by default"...... 

That would keep that factory "look", but give it the "Big, Bad DODGE" look without going over board......... Have a look:

Thats my "Father & Son Dodge Truck Build.... My truck, is the first one on the 1st and 2nd page.... These were 2 REAL trucks I'm making replicas of! My truck was a Power Wagon Dads was a Adventurer... BOTH were 4x4, but mine I added a bit of lift, (NOT body either, suspension lift, and added 38's on the hubs! IF you page through the build, there are a few pics of my truck model and Dad's truck model nose-to-nose, Dads was "stock" height, 4x4..... -I'm NOT sure what size tires I used on Dad's truck, but they look "right" for an absolute Stock height 4x4..... Mine however wasn't "stock" by any means....

Just thoughts and posted for inspiration, and yes these trucks are almost to easy to make 4x4..... I've done it all of them I've built or building so far!

LOL Dave,

I say build it as you see fit...... BUT you can still do the 4x4 way, and make it look "stock" and be not a high truck and not a low truck but look good all at the same time... Just go stock 4x4 suspension, NO lift, and slightly bigger then stock tires and it be good!

That truck tho look good anyway you build it.....it IS afterall a D-O-D-G-E!!!!!!

Didn't somebody resin cast that crew body recently? Anybody know who did it and if it is still available?

I haven't found one in resin yet, but if someone did mold a resin crew cab '70 Dodge truck cab, I'd LOVE to know who so I could go on a hunt for one and or keep an eye out for one! -Ain't got enough of these kits to put a "kit-crew cab together like Dave did here. as I WOULD if I had 2 more of these kits........ LOL

I haven't found one in resin yet, but if someone did mold a resin crew cab '70 Dodge truck cab, I'd LOVE to know who so I could go on a hunt for one and or keep an eye out for one! -Ain't got enough of these kits to put a "kit-crew cab together like Dave did here. as I WOULD if I had 2 more of these kits........ LOL

That was the main reason for me doing this build because I couldn't find a resin cab

I was missing the tailgate for the Dodge and (426 Hemi) John was in the proses of casting me one . I was digging through a parts box that I got from ebay a loooooong time ago and low and behold there right at the bottom of the box is a tailgate for the bed . I just have to repair the hinge pins strip the paint and its good to go. It just goes to show that buying a random box of bits can pay off

IMG_6220.JPG

Dave that tailgate looks to be in SUPER nice shape too! -You got lucky man! LOL Those are not easy to come by!

Your truck tho.... as you have it all mocked-up for the pics, be a GREAT "Junk Yard" build model LOL (all the different colored parts!) LOL 

All that said, sad thing is, coming from me? I get to making a Crew cab late '70's Dodge pick-up, I do believe I'll be adding a step-side bed to mine. (I think I have one extra!) And that my friends is wild! because, in real life (1:1 scale) out of all the trucks I've owned, not ONE of them was long bed, straight side! -Every truck I've ever owned (ALL Dodge) were step-side bed trucks! -Even my current Beast!

Dave,

Dang it........... this IS growing on me! I like the way that long truck looks "stock height, I say make it either as you have it 2x4, at the same height, or 4x4 it and still keep it about the same height, don't raise it up or well "lift" it as much as you can help it.... I'd still go 4x4 tho, on a stock height truck (not a lot of guys keep them "stock" on these trucks as they truly are so easy to lift.... Especially 4x4!!!)