Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 Mercury Woody surf wagon (Lowered a bit)

geetee66

My 1st woody!

Revell did a good job on this kit. It's really nice to build.

Lowered and riding on Pegasus chrome reverse wheels. 

The nose decal doesn't fit the raised letters, as it's too short. So I cut up the decal and applied the letters one at a time:

IMG_8860_zpswhfeffxf.jpg

IMG_8851_zpsrohpshh2.jpg

IMG_8856_zps1hgdone9.jpg

I put an Aloha garland in there,,,

IMG_8864_zpsu0tobi9h.jpg

nearly forgot the chassis:

I hope you like it

Comments appreciated + or -

Edited by geetee66
same pic twice

It looks cool, and the paint looks flawless. Also loved the wood work. The engine by other hand, is a no go. 

If the kit had the correct engine I would get one. I know I can get the engine from a AMT kit, but it's just on principle I don't get one. Revell has no respect for the factory stock builders. Only recently they released a 1948 Ford kit that is not one of that monstrosities with a chopped top that look like cartoons, like the car the circus clown would drive. And they have no '49 Mercury Club Coupe available in stock form, only in clown car form. That's the big difference between the military kits and the civilian car kits. While the guys that built military stuff want authenticity, and producing serious replicas, most people that builds cars couldn't care less about what was factory correct.  A Cadillac engine on a Mercury? Do you mean that's not the original engine? The real sad part is: Most kids and young adults that buy those kits really don't know that is not the original engine.

Come on Revell, throw the '48 Ford flathead engine in the kit. The tooling is already done since 1998. It's not correct, but at least it looks similar to the original Mercury V8.

Great looking model, love the wood. The lighter color is exactly as I've seen some slightly-yellowed varnish on older cars. Perfect.

The Caddy engine looks right at home in there too, and would give the old beast a lot more go than a flathead. 

A box-stock '49 331 Caddy from a junkyard would make about 50 HP more than the OEM Mercury flathead, and by '53, the difference could be as much as 100HP. With multiple carbs and other mods, a lot more.

...Which is of course why flatheads were considered boat-anchors for many years, and were frequently replaced with more modern powerplants by people who wanted to actually use their cars.  :D

Beautiful build. To bad the pictures can't show what you did on the interior. I'm  using your idea on the seats on my next woody build.  

LOL! That's what usually happens when I spend time on details.

They're often hidden in the final results, but in case you're wondering, I used nail art decals on the seats:

Thanks for the comments everyone. I really appreciate it

Edited by geetee66
Couldn't get picture to show

If the kit had the correct engine I would get one. I know I can get the engine from a AMT kit, but it's just on principle I don't get one. Revell has no respect for the factory stock builders.

When I spoke to Revell back when this kit was new, they said that the budget to modify the chopped Merc into this kit was so small that it wouldn't allow for the engine swap to the correct flatty,  In these cases it's either we get the kit or we don't.   Most everyone who cares will just swap in a flathead from another kit.