Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/12 Ford GT40 with 3D Printing

StrangerBandFan

Hi misterNNL, I was amazed the 3D printing was reasonably priced. All of the orange colored tubes in the image just above, plus the main roll bar assembly in the pics way above cost about 50$ including shipping. And that's using their most expensive high resolution printer and best resin plastic. I figure I'll have about $200 total when it's all said and done.

Hi mad mike, the engine is a 427 side oiler from TDR Innovations. It came with a wet sump pan, but I'm gonna make a dry sump and I've got the pump partially designed in one of the pics near the beginning of the thread. I used artistic license by switching to the quad webers :-) Thanks for the link you sent, I'll check it out and will follow your build closely too. Model on!

Hi Davewilly, you and I are both old-school CAD, I started in '85 on Version 6, back when pen plotting on mylar was cutting edge stuff and you had to lick the pen tips when they clogged :-( and people who knew how to manipulate DOS were considered equal to rocket scientists! There's some great tutorials on YouTube that'll get you going with 3D if your interested.

Got my rear shock towers and the rear plate that carries the engine cowl and tow hooks done. Next is the tube frame between the two with mounts for the header collectors, exhaust pipes and engine/tranny oil coolers.

Got lots of parts coming from the 3D printers. Can't wait to see my fantasy turned into reality sitting in my hands!

2017-01-07_Progress.thumb.PNG.d6de9ce45b

Got my rear shock towers and the rear plate that carries the engine cowl and tow hooks done. Next is the tube frame between the two with mounts for the header collectors, exhaust pipes and engine/tranny oil coolers.

Got lots of parts coming from the 3D printers. Can't wait to see my fantasy turned into reality sitting in my hands!

2017-01-07_Progress.thumb.PNG.d6de9ce45b

Will theses Items be available from the 3-D printers when you finish?