Model Cars Magazine Forum

289 Cobra repair/restore.

Johnt671

I built this one in the late 70 to early 80's. I didn't survive being moved three times and being left for many years in the attic. This was one of my better paint jobs from back then. this is what it looks like now.

The bag is the parts I've found or bought to rebuild it.

I'm missing two of the knock off spinners and the passenger side chrome fender vent if anyone has these parts maybe we could work something out. I tried posting in the wanted section a while ago but didn't have any luck.

Is that the Sunny kit from Japan?

I started a thread a few months ago hoping to identify the the maker of it, and you said you thought it was the Sunny 427 body on an AMT kit. you were the only one one that posted anything, and thanks for the reply.

I built that so long ago that I have no idea who made the kit, and when it was done I got rid of the box. I don't remember ever buying a Sunny kit so I'd guess it's an AMT kit. I don't think there are any mfg name molded in the kit, but when I take it apart later I'll look again.

Yesterday's progress. Took the motor apart to clean up and repaint. Now to find the real color for it.

I had to sand the rear of the front wheels so they would fit into the opening on the disc brake so the wheels weren't sticking way out. From some reason I used blue goop on the wheels and tire, so they will be stripped and Spaz Stixed.

I got the stance set a little better, but it needs a little more work.

I believe Rex is correct when he asked if that is the Sunny kit. The Sunny kit is the only kit with the oil cooler scoop and the grill opening with the bar through the middle and also the chrome separate chrome side louvers.

OK, thanks for the ID. I had no idea who made it.

Yes, the Sunny kit is a "427" body on a "289" chassis. And  the kit is based on the AMT 289 Cobra (actually the AMT is a 260 or early 289 with the cam and sector steering  and flat spoke steering wheel as opposed to the rack and pinion 289s with a dished wheel)

I guess Sunny just flat out copied 90% of the AMT right up to the parts location on the sprues!

Progress from last night and today. Straighting the frame just like a real car. :)

Stripped chrome and old paint in Purple Power after an all night soak. I was hoping that the blue goop on the wheels would come off in the soak but no way. I had to sand it off.

Thanks for all the kit information. I'm working on a deal for some knock off spinners and still need the chrome vent for the passenger side. It's looking like that may be a holy grail part.

I'm trying to keep this kit as original as I can, and so far the only pieces that won't be original are the Weber carbs and maybe the knock offs. I've repainted the motor but I will leave the original paint on the body and interior.

Edited by Johnt671
Added info

Today's work.

Spax Stixed wheels and Webers

Painted exhaust, firewall, intake and motor, plus black washed valve covers

I the wife leaves me alone for a while I'll finish the motor.

Starting to look a lot better.

I had to use parts pack tires as the original one were getting soft and sticky.

Looking pretty good!

Thanks. I just bought a Sunny kit that was on E-Bay since the box rang a bell Thanks to those who supplied information to identify what kit it was. I want to do a little more touch up and detail on it, but I'm pretty much at a standstill until the other kit gets here. Here's where I am.

I'm going to sand the interior mounting points some to get the body a little lower on the frame.

Looks like a great save on this Cobra. I noticed the new AMT Polyglass tires. If it is in the budget or if is even of interest AMT also has a set of Goodyear "Blue Streak" slicks. They would look very much like the tires used for the more track oriented build. They have the raised white Goodyear lettering with a blue circle and no tread pattern on the tires. They are listed as 9.00-15 size, with a lite scuff on the tread they would look just like track tires.

Looks like a great save on this Cobra. I noticed the new AMT Polyglass tires. If it is in the budget or if is even of interest AMT also has a set of Goodyear "Blue Streak" slicks. They would look very much like the tires used for the more track oriented build. They have the raised white Goodyear lettering with a blue circle and no tread pattern on the tires. They are listed as 9.00-15 size, with a lite scuff on the tread they would look just like track tires.

That would look good. I'll look into then when I put another order in. I won't be able to use them on this car because I super glued the inner and outer wheels together. I'll have three Cobras to build once the Sunny kit gets here. I need one of the chrome fender vents for this car plus two of the knock off spinners, but I can fill the openings on the Sunny kit and do what I want with it. Maybe a drag Cobra. I have two on the Monogram 427 kit, one unopened that I started in the 80's and one still sealed. I may look to trade the unsealed one but I'd wait until I see if the started one has all its parts.

I looked in the back of my parts drawer and found a pack of the tires you're talking about. They would look good and I think I'll do that on one of my other Cobra kits.

It's almost done now. I just glued the interior and chassis in, so all that's left is the body trim and exhaust pipes and it will be done. Maybe tomorrow with luck.

Pm sent photo of spinners I have

Thanks. I saw the pictures and replied. I didn't get to take picture today, but I will tomorrow. We had our inter changed to a new carrier and it took some time to run the new cables in. But wow, it's so much faster now.

I bought the Academy kit on Ebay recently so I may have some spare parts.  JC used the Sunny body I had as a starting point to make one of his beautiful racing 289's.

At this point the only part I need is the Passenger side chrome vent. I'm working on a swap for four knock off spinners that I need. If you have that vent that would be cool. LMK and we'll see about working something out. Thanks.