Model Cars Magazine Forum

Little Deuce Restoration

TooOld

This build is inspiring! Those Monogram kits may have been dead simple to build, but they had something that the AMT early-Ford kits did not...stance and presence.

For the first time in a long time I have the itch to do a traditional, 1963-era early-Ford Hot rod build. i just got a buildup of the Early Iron Series (moulded in black) and I'm going for a quasi-box-art build with it using Lil' Coffin rolling stock   

Edited by garagepunk66

This build is inspiring! Those Monogram kits may have been dead simple to build, but they had something that the AMT early-Ford kits did not...stance and presence.

For the first time in a long time I have the itch to do a traditional, 1963-era early-Ford Hot rod build. i just got a buildup of the Early Iron Series (moulded in black) and I'm going for a quasi-box-art build with it using Lil' Coffin rolling stock   

Thanks Dan ! They are basic kits compared to newer offerings but you can't beat the look !

The Early Iron '32 will look great with the wheels & tires from the Li'l Coffin . :D

On 12/22/2016 at 5:12 PM, davysmodels said:

Bob, Great rebuild project.  

What mold putty and clear resin did you use for the lenses. 

Thanks, Larry

The Amazing Mold Putty is from Alumilite but you can get it at Hobby Lobby and Hobby Town . It's mixed just like epoxy putty and sets up in about 10 minutes , great for quicky molds of small parts .  The Clear Casting resin usually sets up in about 15-20 minutes but with a thin part like these lenses it takes quite a bit longer .

Edited by TooOld

Bob, what's your method for mixing the clear resin? I bought some the same resin to make head and taillights, mixed it as instructed, and my parts never hardened all the way. I called the manufacturer and was told I need to mix at least 2oz. to get the mix close enough, anything less and there would be a good chance of it not curing properly. I told them it would be nice if it said that on the can.  I'm going to pick up some syringes from the drug store before I try it again.

Bob, what's your method for mixing the clear resin? I bought some the same resin to make head and taillights, mixed it as instructed, and my parts never hardened all the way. I called the manufacturer and was told I need to mix at least 2oz. to get the mix close enough, anything less and there would be a good chance of it not curing properly. I told them it would be nice if it said that on the can.  I'm going to pick up some syringes from the drug store before I try it again.

Mixing at least 2 oz doesn't make much sense to me and the directions on the can seem a bit vague too  , the thinner the part the more catalyst it takes .  I mixed 1/2 oz with 8 drops of catalyst and the lenses seemed to cure but stayed flexible , so I did it a second time with 10 drops to 1/2 oz of resin and it did the trick . . . but it did take several hours for them to harden . Next time I'll probably try 12 drops of catalyst .  I was going to ask you how you poured the resin into such a small part , never thought about using a syringe .

Edited by TooOld