Model Cars Magazine Forum

Charlie Larkin your email has been hacked.

Bobdude

Boy, I really stepped in it, didn't I?

I'd like to start by apologizing if anyone was harassed or inconvenienced.

I had recently signed up for a website that I can best describe as a cross between Facebook and eBay, and its concept is built on people who know each other already. It also pays its members a share of its revenues- sort of like a co-op. The idea sounded interesting, so I decided to check it out.

I gave the site permission to open my address book, thinking I would be able to simply see who else I knew was on this, and then start connecting with them through the site.

Completely unbeknownst to me, the blasted thing basically spammed everyone I know. I've already received quite an earful from a few people, and have been apologizing profusely since yesterday morning. I was not given a chance to approve e-Mails, write a cover-letter, or much of anything else, otherwise, I think it would have gone much, much smoother. I've already given the site administration a keyboard-full because this has turned become a major annoyance for me.

The invitation e-Mail is pretty Spammy-looking, but it's legit.

And again, I'm really sorry if anyone got caught off guard or was bothered by this.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie and about a billion other Yahoo email users have been hacked,  including anyone replying is this very thread that might have a Yahoo email address( including me too)

Fortunately, I've changed my password at least two or three times due to other hack attempts, so I think I'm pretty safe for right now.

Charlie Larkin

To make matters worse, often times when you get a Spam/Trojan email from "someone", it is not actually THAT someone that has been hacked. Often times, it is another person that was hacked and it used that third person's email address book to make it look like the emails were sent from them.

IE: John Doe's email/PC got hacked, but Fred's email address was in John's system, so the Trojan is sent to look like it was from Fred and however many other email addresses it uses. 

To make matters worse, often times when you get a Spam/Trojan email from "someone", it is not actually THAT someone that has been hacked. Often times, it is another person that was hacked and it used that third person's email address book to make it look like the emails were sent from them.

IE: John Doe's email/PC got hacked, but Fred's email address was in John's system, so the Trojan is sent to look like it was from Fred and however many other email addresses it uses. 

That's why I moved that email into the spam file without opening it and tried to pm Charlie ASAP to let him know what happened. It has since been deleted too.