Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Ford FD-100 Pickup

Casey

Almost $35? It's $24.95 MSRP. Personally I'll take metal axles if they get the body proportions right. A return to the days of promos and annuals if you will. The C7 Vette is bang on and all indications are this one is too. 

Sorry, Brett, in Canada current kits are now going for around $35 CDN. Low dollar sucks.  I guess it's just me but metal axle screams $10 toy to me not a 2017 scale kit. And why go to all the trouble of going to all the trouble of scanning every thing to get body proportions right and then throw it all away with a clunky metal axle through the engine when there are far better ways of doing it?

One it is a toy. That is the main market its designed for. 

Second it shouldn't be that difficult to fix.  Where the hole is won't really show if you get rid of the metal axle. Besides it nothing like the kits from the 60s that half the oil pan and block were gone for the hole. Looking forward to grabbing one.

I think you guys are overthinking all of these, just a weeeeeeee bit.

The licensing agreement for these Foose kits was for 6 models total. Two SnapTite, Two pre-paints, and 2 all new tool glue kits.  To assume this was going to be a pre-paint would imply that Revell was going to make this truck regardless as to how the voting was going to come out, and gee-golly-shucks look it "magically" won.  The entire voting process being a fraud a P.R. disaster Revell doesn't need, especially since it would completely overshadow what seems to be a nice model.

The reason the kit has two metal axles, and a grand total of 9 suspension pieces is because it's a "one shot" kit.  This can never be made into something else down the road.  There's no 2nd and 3rd versions to make up for poor sales.  The price we pay for kits is a carefully tabulated guesstimate based on tooling costs and expected sales.  Because there can't be a stock '56 Ford based on this tooling, or anything else for that matter, cost savings had to be implemented in order for these kits to be feasible.  Putting metal axles in it might harken back to a simpler time to a certain extent, but that doesn't make it a toy, or marketed at kids.  It's the realities that Revell faced in making this kit, do you want it or not?  The little axles nails wouldn't work in this application because of the way the disc brake and wheel assembly interface (which if we want to be honest is very diecasty) is designed.  Plug the hole, cut the axles down and voila problem solved.

The top shouldn't be an issue and Revell has done this before on the '65 Chevrolet C-10. My belief is that it would enable them to add greater body detail. I would just snip off the metal axles in the front so that they only went into the spindle . I also look forward to getting several of these kits.  

I wondering if Foose's design is so good that it could fool people in to thinking it was a stock truck if one just made it a little higher and put steelwheels and full profile tires on it. If one also tweeked the tailgate so that is says FORD, how long would it be on a showtable before people noticed that it is not stock...I think I want to try and find that out:)

The Revell 1956 F-100 dates back to 1962 . I have an original-issue of this kit (found at a thrift store about 10 years ago) ; even it cannot be built 100% stock , but it comes close ( the headliner is a custom job ; and the Thunderbird Y-Block isn't stock ... close , but no cigar .)

I am impressed with the Foose FD-100 so far (judging it only by the photos shared here , and by the online "instructions" pdf ) . It looks like a nice , clean customised F-100 , with quite subtle "massaging" of its panels . 

That would be a neat 'test' to add some stock changes to it ( essentially , add the wind wings ; change its suspension to straight front axle / solid "floater" rear with leaf springs ; stock tyres & wheels ; and , interior 'retrogrades' ) . These days , it would be like the proverbial "stock" Model A or 1932 Ford or 1934 Ford : few among us -- my-self included -- know what the body proportions are on those cars in dead-stock form ( though , Tim Boyd Tulio , and others would know right-off ... ) 

I'm so excited for this kit!  Great design, great kitbashing opportunities.

I just went through the instructions online.  Did anyone else notice the lack of a fuel tank? Kinda funny. 

Edited by Nate

I'm so excited for this kit!  Great design, great kitbashing opportunities.

I just went through the instructions online.  Did anyone else notice the lack of a fuel tank? Kinda funny. 

Stock location, behind the seat.  There's a filler cap on the passenger side of the cab.  

The suspension bits are some of the thinnest castings I've seen in this scale, steering rack, A arms, sway bar. My sway bar was broken in two places, but it's repairable. Axle thru the block? I don't care, cures most toe problems. Love this kit so far. I thought it was Tim Allen's but it's not.

Edited by samdiego

Tonight's discovery. The rear license plate decal responded just right to Set and Sol. More importantly if you center the printed area left to right and place it as far up as possible, it drops perfectly onto the embossed detail. Awesome Black tag. Thank you to the computer artist who laid that out.They printed the frame as well but I like the contrast with the chrome bumper. The reason for the axle through the block is that the (hopefully) in scale a-arms would not support the weight otherwise. Mold seams are minimal and well routed, but there is a gap where the roof meets the back of the cab.

Edited by samdiego

I started assembly on mine last night. This kit is very nicely designed and engineered. The cab parts - roof, hood striker panel, and behind-grille panel - clicked together like Legos. And thanks to Chip Foose, "the look" is just right. I love this kit.

Edited by Matt T.

• 5 weeks later...

I remember way back when, metal axles were a sign of quality! The AMT 3 in 1's all had metal axles, while many Revell kits and plastic axles that always seemed to snap off because I never had the tools to open up the wheel holes or thin the axle stubs. The AMTs could always be counted on to press on without breaking anything. The priorities of a 12 yr old model builder...

I remember way back when, metal axles were a sign of quality! The AMT 3 in 1's all had metal axles, while many Revell kits and plastic axles that always seemed to snap off because I never had the tools to open up the wheel holes or thin the axle stubs. The AMTs could always be counted on to press on without breaking anything. The priorities of a 12 yr old model builder...

I remember those awful plastic axles..and MPC's darn plastic front pins that always broke...

• 2 weeks later...

Steel axle=little divot in oil pan? No large hole circa 1962. just as playable as those "three in one kits"of yore? Yup,roll away son, daughter, grand kids. sturdier than the midget kits? Yup. Unpainted? Yup. Roth kits, stock build possible,?Nope! Daniels kits, stock builds possible? Nope.  There is no way this truck could be built stock. The design was done over many years, and finally found by his dad. The original truck was bought by Chip from his dad, hot-rodded many times and finally stolen!  Our was it? In the hands of Chip's dad, and re-invented as designed by Chip,the truck was built nights and weekends by the Foose A-team from "Overhaulin" as a birthday surprise, while the shows episodes continued to be filmed.The birthday episode was  shown on TV. About the kit, New design chassis?  Yup, New styrene? Yup. 

Dream Ford double kit? Foose pickup,new 56 Ford pickup just $60.00 ($59.95) in hobby shops for Christmas?? Keep new kits coming,? yup!!

Walt O'Brien Rutland VT

The steel front axle is pretty well hidden when built and going to be much more sturdy than normal plastic pins holding wheels on

I am not sure about the wood bed liner , i always have had issues with clear coat over decals , but looks good in the few build photos I have seen so far

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a transmission expert, but looking online at photos of both the C6 and AODE transmission, it appears this kit's transmission is an AODE body, with a C6 pan?

The starter 'bulge' looks way too large and placed high up also?

Edited by J.G.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice kit, well engineered, though the front suspension is a little light to support the weight without the wire axle. BUT...almost all the accommodation for the axle on the engine is a slot in the separate oil pan. Fill a very small indentation in the block, swap pans, and you're done.

I'm reasonably sure the front end WILL support the weight of the model without the wire initially, and I'm also reasonably sure it will sag over time. I have some very small real carbon-fiber strip I'll add to the control arms that will cure the problem without being visible.

The slot in the frame rails (for the wire axle) will have to be filled to satisfy me, but that's an easy task too.

The trans does appear more AOD than C6 (as J.G. noted above) but the starter is in the correct higher location for a C6 supplied for the FE bolt pattern. There are some online photos of the AOD incorrectly identified as C6, so that may be where that particular misstep crept in.

Fine kit though, well worth the $25 full retail price.

• 1 month later...