Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Ford FD-100 Pickup

Casey

I wonder if you use the cab from this kit & bash it with an older kit & build a stock 56?

No. The cab has had a whole lot done to it from stock that's not apparent at first glance.  Look at where the windshield wipers sit on the Foose truck (more or lees flat) vs stock (ramps up to windshield).  There's not a stock piece of sheet metal on the thing. A lot of subtle changes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting engineering choices alright! Like the metal axle through the engine. I'm not going to make too much noise about it,, but I have to say I thought they stopped doing that years ago. It seems to look fairly clean and concealed in this truck, but then again - it seems wrong somehow.

I'm sure somebody is going to have a cow about it. Bring out the popcorn!

Interesting engineering choices alright! Like the metal axle through the engine. I'm not going to make too much noise about it,, but I have to say I thought they stopped doing that years ago. It seems to look fairly clean and concealed in this truck, but then again - it seems wrong somehow.

I'm sure somebody is going to have a cow about it. Bring out the popcorn!

Yeah, the Revell pre-paints have metal axles.  I've got the ZL-1 Camaro and C7 Corvette and they hide it pretty well.  

I like it; kind of harkens back to the days when the model bodies had a 'presence' and actually looked like the subject matter   ^_^

and vastly expands your choice of wheels, like using the amt f350 metal axle parts under the moeb F100s. Does every kit really need a 27 piece front suspension ?

mike

Edited by mk11

What gets me, is all the comments about "why is there no stock option?"" I cannot get over the sheer number of people, who seem fixated on a stock version of this kit. Maybe it is because the kit 'looks' so close to stock. As Brett and others have noted, while this kit looks like a '56 Ford P/U it has had every body panel massaged to be smoother, rounder, or better looking. I fully expect a line by line comparison of the two vehicles in the future showing where Foose made his subtle alterations to the truck. Given the parts shown in the linked instructions, and what we have learned about Model Kit Tooling Economics on the boards in the last few years, it strikes me that Revell may already have plans to use this running gear under another kit. It will be fun to see what they do with it.

I like to think of the '56 as a Ford Flavored Pick up, rather than an exact replica. The same with the other new Foose kit. It is an Eldorado Flavored Car, rather than a stock version.  And, I'm OK with that. I'll wind up with the car rather than the truck. The Engine in the Caddy will be going into a certain Revell Merc Woody, just as soon as I can figure out how to make it fit.  Heck, I may even build the convertible too. :)

The roof I can understand as the F-100 has that slight overhang on the front that wold probably not be easy to tool. 

As for the front axle, that is unexpected. Maybe they are also bringing back tire melt and the screw on chassis.

The engine was replaced by a special Roush® racing engine, serial #1,

Anyone have any info on this engine? Type, displacement?

Nevermind. I found the answer in the other thread. 427.FE

Edited by Jantrix

Aand we have a winner!

The winner is first and foremost myself, because I wanted a kit of this truck and I voted for it to be made. - And now I have one! It looks good too!

DSCF1748_zps9lrg66xz.jpg

The engine hole is not as bad those from back in the stone age of things, and looks as if it can easily be filled if need be.

DSCF1751_zpsw0pv8opq.jpg

One of the great features of this kit is something I have been wanting for a long time. Different size wheels of the same design and with rubber to match! The different size rollers we have been served in other kits have (almost) always had same diameter wheels. Different width yes, but same diameter, and then those would be fitted with different height tires. This always bugged me  because due to the different aspect ratio of the tires, the rims in the larger tyre would visually appear to be smaller than the one in the smaller tyre. Not anymore though. This kit has them right!

I am excited about this. Please do inform me if I am actually late to the party, and the other Foose kits have been equipped so for a long time now

DSCF1750_zpsumpghgd5.jpg

Edited by lysleder

Hmmm... some interesting engineering choices with the bed & running boards, which make more sense when you realize that it was originally supposed to be a pre-painted kit.  

Think that's a good thing, cuz when engineering for "pre-paint", one looks for ways to make it easy to paint the kit, in a production environment, something the casual modeler will appreciate I'm sure.

The metal axle thingy....wonder what the profile was of all who voted on Facebook, think it might explain a lot.

;)

I guess I'll be the one who has the cow about the metal axle through the engine. I cannot believe that in a day and age where we are now paying almost $35 for a kit that Revell's thinks it's appropriate to go back to sixties and run a metal axle through the engine. How hard would it have been to use the metal pins for mounting the front wheels like they've been doing for the past few years? Revell is trying to appeal to what market with this kit? Not the adult model builder. Obviously they are designing toys to be played with. No, I don't need a 27 pieces front suspension but I do feel 60's technology in a brand new 2017 kit is inappropriate. If that makes me a hater, I apologize but the pin type mounting system cannot be that much more expensive to produce and would have made a more acceptable product. I appreciate Revell bringing new product to market such as this truck and the upcoming Cadillac. The kit, I believe is no cheaper to buy due to Revell cheaping out on the wheel mounting system. I cannot see other genre model builders (planes,  armor, etc) tolerating the model companies going back to sixties technology for their planes or tanks but we seem to think it's all right? I don't get it. O.K. frustrated rant over. Flame away and again I apologize for those that may be upset by this opinion.

I guess I'll be the one who has the cow about the metal axle through the engine. I cannot believe that in a day and age where we are now paying almost $35 for a kit that Revell's thinks it's appropriate to go back to sixties and run a metal axle through the engine. How hard would it have been to use the metal pins for mounting the front wheels like they've been doing for the past few years? Revell is trying to appeal to what market with this kit? Not the adult model builder. Obviously they are designing toys to be played with. No, I don't need a 27 pieces front suspension but I do feel 60's technology in a brand new 2017 kit is inappropriate. If that makes me a hater, I apologize but the pin type mounting system cannot be that much more expensive to produce and would have made a more acceptable product. I appreciate Revell bringing new product to market such as this truck and the upcoming Cadillac. The kit, I believe is no cheaper to buy due to Revell cheaping out on the wheel mounting system. I cannot see other genre model builders (planes,  armor, etc) tolerating the model companies going back to sixties technology for their planes or tanks but we seem to think it's all right? I don't get it. O.K. frustrated rant over. Flame away and again I apologize for those that may be upset by this opinion.

It was mentioned above that this was intended to be a pre-painted kit and thus the simplistic approach to the kit- metal axles, one piece bed- and that is how we have this kit. I agree that we shouldn't have to accept metal axles in this modern day of model kits but if it helps Revell sell more kits to a broader audience and thus develop more kits, then that is the end result. Given that there are fewer new kits and only a couple of companies bringing out new kits, it is what it is.