Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped Phaeton - April Update!

Misha

An update on the project:

Been laid low past couple of weeks with a nasty cold/flu, so the shop has been rather quiet. Finished polishing out the Red Mica body colour and now planning out the body details including gold pinstriping. The chassis is getting closer to rolling, discs on all four corners, scratch built rear shocks & tranny oil cooler, and the tires just need the whitewalls. 

Still a way to go, yet on track to complete for the March show on the mainland in Vancouver. Be posting some snapshots in a few days. The rush will be to complete the 409 motivated A Bone Coupe that's following on, have it planned out and most of the bits have been cleaned up and ready for primer. 

Thanks for checking, Cheers Misha

• 2 months later...

It has certainly been awhile since the last update, health issues have interfered with life in general, yet have been on the mend past while. Needless to say this project was  not ready for the Vancouver show (yet did take part, garnering a first, second and a third over two categories, Open Wheel Comp and Domestic Stock Replica).

A number of components have begun to come together, engine is near completion for installation into the chassis, wheels are on and fenders are next, body interior needs steering wheel and windshield with wind wings! The mock up photos show more of it together, yet the headlight bar is not fitted in and there are many other details bits to go. Yet I am happy with the overall stance, the excellent decals from Gopher went on without a hitch, still have the baby moons to pop in (just the one wheel is weathered and detailed to show another possible option). There is still the luggage rack and trunk which still requires paint and pinstriping! In the front will be added lighting, including a centre driving beam, alá  30s Mercedes. 

Please have a look, both positive comments and not, are welcome. Photos always point out in detail all the build and fit issues and it is helpful to have more eyes on it.

Cheers Misha

IMG_4559.JPG

IMG_4562.JPG

IMG_4565.JPG

IMG_4568.JPG

Had a look underneath only to discover that those rear tires really fill the area up! Solution to getting them ticked in would require a tire switch, which I'm not sure of...

On another note have a look at what can be done with the new Motatow chrome pens. I was contemplating masking and prepping for Alclad on the fender ribs... many hours and lots of iffies. With the pen, and a somewhat steady hand I quickly had chrome ribs to go with the chromed frame. Also check out the tranny cooler that was scratch built and plumped into the tailpiece.

Thanks for the comments! Cheers Misha

IMG_4572.JPG

Edited by Misha
spelling

This is really really cool, I love phateons and the interior is perfect on this. It looks really good with just the red steelies too, without baby moons, and the tires fit great as is. I like how you kept it somewhat stock but still looks like a hot rod. 

• 2 years later...

Wow, finally done! Just in time for the 2019 Duece Days in Victoria. Our club is featuring a display of scale Deuces at the host hotel this weekend. Will follow up with Under Glass daylight photos soon.

Pretty happy with the results, all fit well.

Cheers Misha

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

Nice job Misha.  I was just about to show my WIP of an AMT Deuce phaeton when I stumbled on your build.  Not often you see two of these at the same time!  At least you got yours finished fairly quickly - mine was stalled for at least ten years!

Cheers

Alan

Going back through your build I think I will redo my roof.  I have a spare and I really like the way you did the bows on the underside - that is a nice detail, a surprise as it were for people who go looking further.  I also used a luggage rack but just the standard one out of the AMT kit. I also like the grab rope across the back of the seat.  Interestingly, my phaeton came with the correct style front seat, not the buckets that you got.  Maybe AMT swapped things out over the years?

Cheers

Alan