Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped Phaeton - April Update!

Misha

Thanks for the great response to the build. Getting Evergreen shares would be a good idea at this point, as its getting close to restock time ?. 

The chopped top is included with the kit, can't take credit for that... AMT provided a single camvas top with optional parts, stock or chopped C pillar and windshield. Actually very slick and the fit is very good. 

My focus has been on the interior and getting parts to the stage of applying the colour coats. This seems to ve the toughest aspect of building for me, the Paint Job! Have a few more small parts to wash and primer, thereby delaying the inevitable spraying, either with the airbrush or rattle can. Perhaps tonite I'll get the first coats of the Ferrari Mica Red on...

In the meantime I have finished buiding the new door panels...

Cheers Misha

image.thumb.jpeg.38ab5477f599b38fc56ae8d

Getting more colour on the Phaeton!

This morning I began to paint the Phaeton's body, fenders, hood, and rad with a rattle can of TS  . First coat is on, looking not too bad. The underneath is particularly striking with the shift of gloss red on metal to the flat red wooden floorboards against the overall chrome of the chassis. Still a lot of detail paint to be done on all the bolt heads and then the fender stays will be chromed to match the chassis. The top is nearly done with a couple more treatments on the wooden bows and the brown canvas straps underneath. Door panels need a couple more coats of Vallejo Fire Red acrylic to complete the leather look (I'm a big fan of this paint line for interiors which is perfect for brush applications, plus doesn't require q primer coat).

Hope to be done the body by the end of the weekend and then head back to working on the drivetrain using the small block Ford out of the Revell Deuce kit. 

Cheers Misha

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow.  Great colors on this. Once upon a time a 32 Phaeton showed up at the Street Rods Nationals North in Kalamazoo. MI. I was waiting tables at the time and the car was parked outside the window where I was working.  I had about one minute to run out and check out the car. It was exactly the same color scheme as your model. Amazingly,  it was powered by a Jaguar V-12, had a 5 speed transmission and fully independent Jaguar sourced rear suspension.  Your car makes me think of that car and smile.

Thank you for the comments, it seems that the red and canvas is such a traditional hot rod look that I couldn't resist! Great memories Eric.

Thanks for the B-Day wishes Bruce, the years mount up. Be spending this cold westcoast day (it's snowing here!!!) at the workbench and a local hockey game in the afternoon.

Cheers to all, Misha

Edited by Misha
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Fresh from the paint shop! All set to polish out after the paint cures. I mentioned before the trepidation I usually feel about painting, yet it is getting better. I seem to be getting much better results spraying bodies with the Tamiya rattle cans than I have with the airbrush. Still use the airbrush for detail and metalizing finishes and unique paint colours not available from Tamiya. Also have been detailing the interior bits, building the small block Ford, and working on the tires. Have a question in the other category about how to deal with whitewall decals.

Began another project also with a 409 W in a 30 Coupe, based on an upcoming theme "Car Songs" for the March 25th Vancouver show. Be posting it soon...

Cheers Misha

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I hear you about can vs. Airbrush.  While I have a very fine airbrush that is a whole different skillset that takes tremendous time (at least in my case) to gain competence.  I have no delusions about mastery. Your paint on this project on the other hand certainly is a piece of master workmanship.  I look forward to seeing the complete project. 

Grand Salami Home Run!!  Misha you hit that one out of the parking lot too!  Has to be one of the best retro Deuce Chassis that's come around in a while, your interior, top and paint are stunning!  Did I mention I really like what you're up to!!!   Keep this thing going, no stalling please!

Thanks for all the encouragement!!! 

I'm really enjoying seeing how this comes together with the mixture of old and new parts. It's extremely gratifying to see the interest there is in such projects.

I've been busy plumbing and wiring the Ford 302 that's going into the Phaeton. The fuel lines feeding the Holley double pumper are made of solder and crimps with an octagonal Evergreen rod forming the fuel log feeding the two bowls. The prewired distributor is a Parks item with spark plug boots made of slightly larger wire sheath. To depict the vacuum  advance I used a part from a Bic lighter innards and a black wire for the hose. With the air cleaner on there is still enough to be seen of the carb to make it interesting. 

In between  I've been getting the interior closer to being finished. Painting is complete with leather and fabric being depicted with Vallejo acrylics. I have found them the best for interiors as they produce an excellent texture after three coats. Being able to brush it on saves tedious masking. The only problem spot has been on the left corner of the rear seat cushion. This was the only part originally painted in the kit and it was very poorly done with the result that the plastic was pitted. To solve this problem and to make it appear realistic, I added a blanket, the perfect Phaeton accessory! It was made by folding a tissue and, while holding it with tweezers, dipping both sides lightly into a watered down white glue mixture. When dry it will be quite stiff and will accept paint readily. The back of the front bench seat is also complete with a passenger assist cord running along the back (I remember back in the 50s standing as a kid in the back holding onto that cord while riding in a big Olds land yacht).

That's all for now, thanks again to all you are following along!

Cheers Misha

Thankfully it all appears to fit with in the AMT Deuce frame. Bit of a problem with the steering shaft, yet that will be sorted out. Wheels are nearing completion, at the stage now that I have to apply the wide whitewall decals --- cringing about that! Discs on all four corners need only plumbing and the chassis nears completion. The next big job is to polish the body and add detail to it!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg