Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Model A Roadster ArtDeco/Coachbuilt/Streamliner -DONE!

Impalow

Thank you guys!!!    I have been sanding, priming and filling...   the main body, hood and chassis are ready for paint...  the fender pods are going to take the most work... but ill get them. .. nothing really to show yet.

I did try the woodgrain decals last night... and they are amazingly thin and delicate.... the kit I bought for the airplane are very transparent.. more of like a tint.   Now that i know this i am going to lighten up the base color, to get the "light burl maple" look i want.    More work, but also more control... so its all good

Here is a shot of my test piece... you can see where it is hanging off the left side how transparent they are.

Thank you all for the find comments and encouragement!  I truly appreciate it.

What is your opinion of the Uschi wood grain decal products?They look very transparent in your photos.I take it that would mean any color shading or weathering would need to be done in advance of the decal application.

Tom, they are really really really transparent...  He recommends adding shading and weathering before and after application, and I can see how that could work well.  I ended up lightening up my base color quite a bit, to the point it was almost a very light beige.  The cool part is you can probably hit a bazillion of wood looks with one decal sheet.  I actually added a little pearl to my base color to try and get the "shimmer" of real wood... it worked sorta..

The "low tack" masking tape he provides for pattern making didn't seem to work well.  It worked fine for the pattern making part, but pulled the decals right off the dry backer when trying to remove it.   This was after sticking it to my pants and shirt to lessen the adhesion.   Sometimes the dry decals detach from the backer when cutting thin strips.  Once soaked (for literally 1 second) and applied to your surface they are incredibly thin, but don't seem to tear easily.     Then came trying to use micro-sol and micro-set which these decals don't respond very well to.   I ended up using the microsol and then adding some low heat (my just work-lamp) to get them to conform to curves.   That may have had something to do with my cold workshop temperature. but I'm not sure...

This all makes them difficult to use...  once I got use to the quirks it got easier to deal with, but still quite a challenge.. I would rate them about three times as hard to apply as the Scale Motorsports carbon decals I used all over my Cuda.

After all that being said... the results are pretty amazing.

New lighter base.

Here you can see how transparent the decals are...

Floorpan start

Here you can see some wrinkles caused by the microsol.. these were smooth to the touch but in the ink somehow?

only going to see this much of it... so i decided to push on.

Thanks Eric.I do not do well with decals in the first place so I may not get into these.Yours look outstanding in place,The floor pan does indeed tie in with the dash design very well.Are you going to add any chrome to that center section of the dash?The narrowing side spears you added to the instrument cluster are a very neat art deco feature but disappear under that beautiful burled wood of the main dash panel.

This build is without a doubt inspiring builders worldwide to try new techniques and expand their horizons of just what is possible in our hobby.This project is rounding third and headed for home it seems.We are all looking forward to every update.Thanks for taking so many detail photos and explaining what you are doing.

Thanks Eric.I do not do well with decals in the first place so I may not get into these.Yours look outstanding in place,The floor pan does indeed tie in with the dash design very well.Are you going to add any chrome to that center section of the dash?The narrowing side spears you added to the instrument cluster are a very neat art deco feature but disappear under that beautiful burled wood of the main dash panel.

This build is without a doubt inspiring builders worldwide to try new techniques and expand their horizons of just what is possible in our hobby.This project is rounding third and headed for home it seems.We are all looking forward to every update.Thanks for taking so many detail photos and explaining what you are doing.

Thank you tom!   oh yes i'm adding lots of chrome to that dash, including those side spears..  but im gonna wait till after clear.. i just dont trust those decals and bmf without some protection.

The interior looks great. Nice job on the decals.

Thanks bob!  it was a pain and i'm glad its over.. haha

The wood is gorgeous, much better than some of the efforts using real wood I've seen.  If these decals can be covered with clear and sanded & polished correctly, I would expect to see some spectacular burl wood dashboards in Jags and Benz's ... and Woodies ?!?!  As we used to say up in NJ .. FAGEDABOUTDIT!

Great Job!

Edited by tedd60