Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Model A Roadster ArtDeco/Coachbuilt/Streamliner -DONE!

Impalow

Managed to get some clear sprayed last night!     Since my dad is also hustling to get a 29 done for the Columbus show,  and my pinto needed another coat on it.. we just had a urethane clear party!

Since we were clearing so many items...  we needed an area out of the overspray to set finished items and keep them clean... My dad had an idea for an unortahdox drying booth... A Datsun 620 pickup!    We made a flap to raise and set parts inside, then carefully lower to keep everything from getting dust on it.

and all the shiny parts inside.. safe and sound. 

Amazing. Classic design meets high tech building methods, showing once again that this hobby isn't going anywhere; it just keeps on evolving and getting more interesting. Always a fan of the Delehayes, this "Dele-A" is firing on all eight in design and execution. A game changer for sure.

Amazing. Classic design meets high tech building methods, showing once again that this hobby isn't going anywhere; it just keeps on evolving and getting more interesting. Always a fan of the Delehayes, this "Dele-A" is firing on all eight in design and execution. A game changer for sure.

Thank you!!!   Dele-A is awesome!   I may have to use that!

Incredible build, looks better with every update.

620 pickup huh. I've had my fair share of them. Are you a member of the Ratsun forum? I have been for years, I think member #11. Yello620 over there.

Thank you!    I haven't joined that yet...  but my dad has I believe.   I grew up with him racing 510's in SCCA, hes had quite a few over the years...  I think the last count was well over 60.. now we just tend to grab up anything locally datsun that isnt rusty... Currently have the 620, and 3- 510's (wagon, coupe and 4dr)  and working on getting a roadster.... We going to start on my 1:1 510 coupe eventually here.

Just beautiful paint and trim work Eric !!!!!

Randy

Thank you Randy!... I'm trying.. nothing compared to your brass masterpieces, I cant tell you how many people Ive shown your carburetors to .. and they have all had to pick up their jaws off the floor.

Tiny tiny little update... getting the engine painted and detailed...   Its fun playing with all the different shades of "hi-shine" alclad.  The engine is polished aluminum.. and will have stainless and chrome accessories.   Im pretty happy with it so far.

That engine is beautiful, and a perfect choice for this project.  I got curious ab0out the Miller, so I looked it up.  Here is a short but pretty good article on it: 

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/11/harry-a-millers-masterpiece-motors/

154 hp and up to 285 hp!  This little Ford should flat out FLY.

Thank you!  isn't that engine cool?    part of why I love quirky projects like this, I get to research odd things and learn all about them.   Its crazy the HP they were able to get out of 91ci for that time period.... supercharged, intercooled and all aluminum in the mid 20's... crazy. 

Here is the website I have been staring at a lot. lots of good photos in those galleries.

http://www.milleroffy.com/Photo & Sound Gallery.htm

I was going to paint the block a gold color and Andy had to correct me, "if you put that engine in a 1:1 car.... no way you would paint it and hide all that aluminum."     He had a very going point... glad I listened.

I am really looking forward to seeing this in person in Columbus on the 18th!!

Awesome!! Cant wait to see you there!   Hopefully I get this wrapped up and there... I'm feeling fairly confident but i don't want to jinx it....   I did bugger up the trunk a bit with the clear.....and im going to have to get creative to save it.    some sort of air bubble issue with the decals... luckily it can literally be the last part installed.... Ill try to remember my extra set of headlights so you can see them, the finished set got alclad last night and im pretty happy with them.

Thanks for offering to bring the headlights for show and tell.I do want to order a couple sets myself for future builds.

Thank you!  isn't that engine cool?    part of why I love quirky projects like this, I get to research odd things and learn all about them.   Its crazy the HP they were able to get out of 91ci for that time period.... supercharged, intercooled and all aluminum in the mid 20's... crazy. 

Here is the website I have been staring at a lot. lots of good photos in those galleries.

http://www.milleroffy.com/Photo & Sound Gallery.htm

I was going to paint the block a gold color and Andy had to correct me, "if you put that engine in a 1:1 car.... no way you would paint it and hide all that aluminum."     He had a very going point... glad I listened.

Awesome!! Cant wait to see you there!   Hopefully I get this wrapped up and there... I'm feeling fairly confident but i don't want to jinx it....   I did bugger up the trunk a bit with the clear.....and im going to have to get creative to save it.    some sort of air bubble issue with the decals... luckily it can literally be the last part installed.... Ill try to remember my extra set of headlights so you can see them, the finished set got alclad last night and im pretty happy with them.

Thans

Wonderful update Eric.  It's gotten to the point now wherein I look at what you're doing currently, go ga-ga over it and immediately wonder..........what's next on your bench.  Can't wait to see this one finished and what else you have up your sleeve.  btw, that thread you offered of the tech data has the potential to be a real problem for me as I love engines and when I went through and saw the development over the years and the uniqueness and variety of the engines themselves, well I suddenly was picturing how to machine one............I quickly closed the link as I have too much on my plate as is and I dare not even think about it.  Thanks for sharing the thread, I've book-marked that one for sure.   Good luck as you near the finish line on this one.   cheers, tim

Thank you Bruce!!  

Boy Eric, you were not kidding when you said how cool the motor casting is.  Really can see the detail now.  Wish those were still available.

Great job on the AlClad !!!

Randy

Thank you Randy!!!  I actually noticed micro mark has them in stock the other day.... not sure how many... I almost ordered one as a spare.. but then decided not to.  Check it out: http://www.micromark.com/122-91-Straight-Eight-Racing-Engine-1-25-Scale

Looks like they have the offy as well... but its sold out.

Wonderful update Eric.  It's gotten to the point now wherein I look at what you're doing currently, go ga-ga over it and immediately wonder..........what's next on your bench.  Can't wait to see this one finished and what else you have up your sleeve.  btw, that thread you offered of the tech data has the potential to be a real problem for me as I love engines and when I went through and saw the development over the years and the uniqueness and variety of the engines themselves, well I suddenly was picturing how to machine one............I quickly closed the link as I have too much on my plate as is and I dare not even think about it.  Thanks for sharing the thread, I've book-marked that one for sure.   Good luck as you near the finish line on this one.   cheers, tim

Thank you Tim!     Yeah i know that feeling.. hahaha...    As for whats next... I'm really not sure myself... probably finish up that pinto street freak, then i have a showrod pickup I should work on, maybe...    I have a datsun 620 drift truck idea floating around, as well as a tube frame, rwd, v8, massively flared mini cooper.   Its a jumbled mess in my head.. haha

Edited by Impalow

Time for an update!   I managed to get the engine mostly assembled last night....   Still some detail items to add (nut, boltheads, mounts)  but for the most part its done.

I wanted to try not using the usual wire insulation plug boots I always use on my builds.  So I actually managed to strip the wire back then bend little rings to attach to the terminal nut of the RBMotion stark plugs.  

A quick test showed me this would work.... it did not show me how difficult and frustrating it would be to do 8 of them.. haha

832EB3FB-9C91-4821-BA1B-0F4867020C4C.jpg

Then I painted the porcelain area of the plugs white and installed them in the engine.

E8004413-620A-4F90-A086-5A899BE0640F.jpg

Then wired and assembled... once it was done I added a drop of copper paint to each tip... but im thinking that was a bit to much contrast, and it accentuates the fact that they aren't all the same.  Ill probably go back in and dab them with silver, or my chrome pen.   The miller registration plate is from a Precision Scale "builders plate" set for an HO scale steam engine.  I have another one for the firewall.

E0127560-BA95-49F7-8A25-CA8DB0F8B6BA.jpg

412B02DD-D059-496F-A628-BF2189B7F7CE.jpg

002D4DD3-B935-4F6C-9311-EC49A714733B.jpg

29030E72-60A7-47C5-99F2-EA895AFA7693.jpg

Edited by Impalow

Thank you guys!!   It keeps getting more fun, i'm excited to get it all together, and see everything in context!

Took it easy last night and just finished the BMF on the dash, and interior bits.

designed a gauge face... but its a bit to small to accurately print on my printer, so ill scale up some items for emphasis:

and the knocked out the BMF on the floorpan:

I know all about that constant list of potential future projects that constantly runs through your head!It's like a never ending car show/cruise dream that goes on and on.I call it my "head bone nationals".I have a big bulletin board on the wall next to my workbench and a sign at the top of it that says head bone nationals in big bold letters.