Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Chrysler A 318 poly head engine 3d printed at home

my66s55

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the complete engine minus the air cleaners. The are cleaners are 90% complete. I have not sanded some parts such as the bottom of the air cleaners for perfect fit. The AMT Chrysler 300 A488 mates up perfectly. I need to know who is interested in a resin copy of this engine and if so, which intake manifold and carb and which year. There are 20 pcs. to this engine.

20170131_095431.thumb.jpg.57b1c173628012

20170131_105558.thumb.jpg.6390d8abd79976

20170131_105810_Burst01.thumb.jpg.e8657f

20170131_112210.thumb.jpg.a66bca80a2d52f

20170128_134043.thumb.jpg.5d33f6ef8caa1f

This is the real deal in a 59 Plymouth.

The1958PlymouthFury-290hpengine.thumb.jp

Umm....... I'm still not too sure about this becoming the future of the hobby ........... don't get me wrong, I think it's neat; but I can't see the average guy committing to this ........ I may be wrong, but I see it as kinda becoming a separate hobby  in itself - I'm curious to know how much time, effort & money is actually invested in this venture as well ? - I think it's more realistic to expect guys to be content with getting items made with the printer, by people who are inclined to offer them this service. 

I see it a little differently. The big hangup is the creation of the files. The printer I made and use as is the one Joseph of Fire ball Model works use u.v. resin cured by light from a d.l.p. projector. Within the last 2 months, 2 Chinese companies have released a desktop printer using l.e.d light projected through an l.c.d. panel.   One retails for $620 and $690 while the other sells for $399. They are however, not plug and play yet. I created this engine out of a need I have for a certain build and because someone else expressed a desire for one. I think people will have a printer and either be able to purchase files on line or have a third party create them.  As far as my investment into this particular project, it breaks down as the following. Time spent creating files: 60 - 80 hrs. It take about 10 minutes to load the file into the print program, slice it and start the printer. I don't have to babysit the printer. When it is done, 10 minutes to detach it from the build platform.  5 minutes to put it into a container of water and take it outside for 15 plus minutes of post curing by the sun. 10-15 minutes to bring it back inside and remove and build supports. It takes about 27 hrs of total print time to print this engine. About $25 of u.v. resin was used. I would much rather make the files available than go through creating resin copies. A lot less time consuming and less headache.

Edited by my66s55

I see it a little differently. The big hangup is the creation of the files. The printer I made and use as is the one Joseph of Fire ball Model works use u.v. resin cured by light from a d.l.p. projector. Within the last 2 months, 2 Chinese companies have released a desktop printer using l.e.d light projected through an l.c.d. panel.   One retails for $620 and $690 while the other sells for $399. They are however, not plug and play yet. I created this engine out of a need I have for a certain build and because someone else expressed a desire for one. I think people will have a printer and either be able to purchase files on line or have a third party create them.  As far as my investment into this particular project, it breaks down as the following. Time spent creating files: 60 - 80 hrs. It take about 10 minutes to load the file into the print program, slice it and start the printer. I don't have to babysit the printer. When it is done, 10 minutes to detach it from the build platform.  5 minutes to put it into a container of water and take it outside for 15 plus minutes of post curing by the sun. 10-15 minutes to bring it back inside and remove and build supports. It takes about 27 hrs of total print time to print this engine. About $25 of u.v. resin was used. I would much rather make the files available than go through creating resin copies. A lot less time consuming and less headache.

I can see how purchasing files would work great for those with the machine , it's the one off type of projects that I think will remain costly, if guys are wanting someone to take the time to create these type of  files; it just wouldn't be worth it for someone; such as yourself with the knowledge; to do for less than a fair price.

3D printing will change parts of the hobby just like resin parts did. How---I don't know but it will.

I am working on a design for a 3D printed canned ham camper. My66S55 is right, all the work is in the cad design. 3D printers like large flat things (with some ribbing or they can warp) - like the sides of a camper. Thick or tall things take more time and cost more. 

On a tech note the new SLA style "printers" have some really good results. My company had one of the old SLA printers that cost 250K in the late 90's. We now have a high end FDM style printer but we are thinking of supplementing it with one of the new SLA's due to the quality and lower cost.

What cad program did you use?

Carmak

Blender

If you make a 2-bbl intake for this, put me down for at least 2-3 of these.

I'll make the manifold and either Carter ball & ball or DDB carb. Maybe both.

Will there be transmission or is the idea to use the 300C unit?

I used the 300 trans as it is available now.

Blender

If you make a 2-bbl intake for this, put me down for at least 2-3 of these.

I'll make the manifold and either Carter ball & ball or DDB carb. Maybe both.

Will there be transmission or is the idea to use the 300C unit?

I used the 300 trans as it is available now.

You mean me? I don't have CAD to be able to 3D print... I was asking what you'd want for a a set of heads, valve covers and an intake!

You mean me? I don't have CAD to be able to 3D print... I was asking what you'd want for a a set of heads, valve covers and an intake!

Which block are you thinking of using? Tell me so that I can check to see if it will work.

Edited by my66s55

Which block are you thinking of using? Tell me so that I can check to see if it will work.

I think that the heads would fit the AMT '57 Chrysler 300 392 Hemi block easily..... ANY of them actually of the 392 Hemi';s as the poly's were pretty big engines! The head "foot print" should be really close the same! NOT exact, mind you, as the hemis were rounded corner rectangles, so that would allow the poly head sit in the same way and place as the hemi head did, and be real close!

The Chrysler 392 hemi is a long engine measuring 30" and won't work. The A engine is inches shorter.  To compensate for the shortness of the poly A engine, the heads were designed with the upper most part holding the rocker assembly larger than the deck length of the block. The LA engines are most likely longer. Here are the 318 A engine poly heads:

s-l1600_(1).thumb.jpg.fa34550c23b35095ee

57_318_poly.thumb.jpg.10aef1c89586adb72f

Here is the poly engine using the old poly heads.

1957-325__poly_engine__1.thumb.jpg.b62f2

Edited by my66s55

The Chrysler 392 hemi is a long engine measuring 30" and won't work. The A engine is inches shorter.  To compensate for the shortness of the poly A engine, the heads were designed with the upper most part holding the rocker assembly larger than the deck length of the block. The LA engines are most likely longer. Here are the 318 A engine poly heads:

s-l1600_(1).thumb.jpg.fa34550c23b35095ee

57_318_poly.thumb.jpg.10aef1c89586adb72f

Here is the poly engine using the old poly heads.

1957-325__poly_engine__1.thumb.jpg.b62f2

I would not be to sure of that! MOST of the Poly engines were made in such a way that the heads could in fact be replace with Hemi heads! The difference on the 392 isn't the block length, its the deck height......... NOW having said that, the Poly blocks vs the LA blocks share exterior dimentions, almost EXACT, the difference is the Poly "A" blocks were heavy cast, the Wedge "LA" blocks were light Casts. thats where the "A" and the "LA" come from A block meaning first, and "LA" meaning "Light A". 

So because of this I would bet the 392 block would be pretty close the same length of that Poly is its done right as they were built to interchange! There was only 2 Poly-Head block that were unable to interchange with Hemi Heads, the 277 and the 318..... And there was only ONE Hemi block that Poly Heads weren't made for, and that was the 392...... Just because the deck height of the 392 block was higher and that makes the need to have a different intake!

Edited by 426-Hemi
Can't Type!

So because of this I would bet the 392 block would be pretty close the same length of that Poly is its done right as they were built to interchange! There was only 2 Poly-Head block that were unable to interchange with Hemi Heads, the 277 and the 318..... And there was only ONE Hemi block that Poly Heads weren't made for, and that was the 392...... Just because the deck height of the 392 block was higher and that makes the need to have a different intake!

The 277 & 318 Are A engines. My engine is an A engine. Per your on words, the heads won't fit. In creating a usable 3d file, mega research has to be done in order to make it as precise and accurate as you can. Here is the contents of my poly engine folder:

Workspace_1.thumb.jpeg.1452a1afebe307809Workspace_3.thumb.jpeg.d8df37f65924f0ec9

Workspace_4.thumb.jpeg.238868fd7c3fa9548

la engine.jpeg

Workspace 2.jpeg

The difference between the image size and stl. outline seen in the front view is due to adjustments made to compensate for resin shrinkage and printer calibration. After the block was printed, it was checked against the 340 LA engine in the 71 Duster. Same size. 

Edited by my66s55

The difference between the image size and stl. outline seen in the front view is due to adjustments made to compensate for resin shrinkage and printer calibration. After the block was printed, it was checked against the 340 LA engine in the 71 Duster. Same size. 

I feel a bit stupid here but does that mean that I could use the block out of the AMT 71 340 Duster as a basis for making the 318A in my 65 Dodge?