Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT/ERTL 68 Road Runner

chris731

This one is AMT's 68 Road Runner, you know, the kit where they gave you a 69 GTX body. So I set about making it a 68 383 Road Runner by removing all the GTX emblems and trim. I reshaped the rear wheel openings and filled in the tail lights and deck lid to that of a 68 Road Runner. I bought a set of Keith Mark decals to finish off the kit. I kept it as plain as possible, keeping true to the Road Runner nameplate. Did some under the hood detailing like adding the 68 Clean Air package. That's about it.

A very nice Plymouth. I like that '67 as well. I have to agree that a 383 is refreshing although I would not be sick of hemis if I could afford one.

Thanks for the comments, I'm kinda partial to the 383's. It's what I grew up with. My dad loved the 383, and when done right it was a pretty potent package. Almost every car my dad owned was a 383, except for his Windsor which was a 354, and his Dart wagon with the 225 slant six...that wouldn't die. I'll post a pic of the GTX convertible later. I don't want to hog up the board being new and all.

Edited by chris731

That is really nice. I like the choice of the 383; makes the whole model IMHO. I'm tired of Hemis.

What color did you paint the engine?

Thanks, its the Mopar turquoise used in the 60's. I mixed it myself, shade is based on memory of the 383 in my 68 Charger. I used a combo of white, blue and aqua acrylic by Apple Barrel. Kept mixing it until I finally got what I thought anyways, the correct, or close to, color. The Hi-Po orange wasn't used till 69 on the 383.

Edited by chris731

Thanks, its the Mopar turquoise used in the 60's. I mixed it myself, shade is based on memory of the 383 in my 68 Charger. I used a combo of white, blue and aqua acrylic by Apple Barrel. Kept mixing it until I finally got what I thought anyways, the correct, or close to, color. The Hi-Po orange wasn't used till 69 on the 383.

I've often banged my head against the wall trying to find a suitable match for that color. I've recently found that Model Master Boyd's Pacific Blue is close enough for me. Here it is on the 440 from the '68 Charger I'm building now:

440.jpg

I'm gonna hit it with semi-gloss clear to knock down that shine.

EDIT: Its actually a little bit lighter in person...I wish I could take better pics. :(

Keep posting those Mopars!

Edited by Frank Steffens

I've often banged my head against the wall trying to find a suitable match for that color. I've recently found that Model Master Boyd's Pacific Blue is close enough for me. Here it is on the 440 from the '68 Charger I'm building now:

440.jpg

I'm gonna hit it with semi-gloss clear to knock down that shine.

EDIT: Its actually a little bit lighter in person...I wish I could take better pics. :(

Keep posting those Mopars!

It looks like a good match to me. Its the closest match I've seen yet out of a bottle. It's a hard color to come up with. It took me forever mixing paint till I finally got it close. I couldn't do it again as I lost track of parts I put in. But I'll keep that Pacific Blue in mind when it comes time for another 383 build. Next time I'm over in Medina at Hobby Lobby I'll grab a bottle. Thanks for the info.

I had a '69 Superbee with a 383 when I was a kid,and the engine was hemi orange.But I had a friend with a '69 GTX and his 383 was blue.I never did figure out why some were different colors.

Only the Magnum version of the 383 was orange. All other versions were painted turquoise.

Edited by chris731

What's the difference between the Magnum version and the non-Magnum versions of the 383, besides color?

The Magnum used a hotter cam, bigger valves and I believe higher compression ratio. The compression ratio on my Chargers 383, non-magnum was 9.2 to 1, and I believe the magnums were either 10 to 1 or 10.5 to 1

Edited by chris731

The Magnum used a hotter cam, bigger valves and I believe higher compression ratio. The compression ratio on my Chargers 383, non-magnum was 9.2 to 1, and I believe the magnums were either 10 to 1 or 10.5 to 1

So externally, they were visually identical?

And you said you replicated the Clean Air Package. What did that consist on on the model? Your model looksgreat, but from the one shot where I can see the engine it looks like the usual hoses and wires to me.

Edited by Merkur XR4Ti

So externally, they were visually identical?

And you said you replicated the Clean Air Package. What did that consist on on the model? Your model looksgreat, but from the one shot where I can see the engine it looks like the usual hoses and wires to me.

Yes, other than color and air cleaner, they were physically identical. I've read some 383 Magnums in 69 did come through painted turquoise if equipped with A/C. The specs on the 383 Magnum was 335 hp at 5,000 rpm, and 392 lb-ft of torque at 3,600 rpm. In a nut shell, they took the 440 heads and cam, and stuck them on/in the 383 block.

The Clean Air Package was a hose that came off the air cleaner to a cap on your valve cover. It was a PCV system where you vent the crankcase. Common place now adays but back then pretty revolutionary in cutting down on air pollution. The carb was also a "leaner carb", the mixture screws were preset then filled so you couldn't mess with the settings. You can see the hose coming off the air cleaner in the pic.

Edited by chris731