Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Deuce GT

LaughingIndian

what if ?

There's stories of "discussions" between Henry Ford and his engineers with his v8 before he won out with the flathead. But what if he allowed a few of his team to go have fun with his 32 Ford and do what they wanted with a one off? On their own time ... and dime of course...

im playing around with rethinking the deuce ..

And going gran tourismo 

IMG_0723.PNG

Edited by LaughingIndian

I'm thinking (front to back):

• potvin supercharger ala 1930 Bentley blower
  • shaved fenders
  • overhead valves pre-ardun
  • dual exhaust
  • shortened (not lowered) body ... possibly narrowed
  • race windshield maybe raised cowl
  • Doorless entry
  • sans running board
  • wider tires proto design
  • redesigned back hatch with spare indent (in progress)
  • etc ...

Other than the backend, I think I'm ready ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very interesting. What are you sourcing the parts from?

I got the heads and intake from Shapeways through TDR innovations (3D print) ... not crazy about the final surface texture . The word 'Ardun' was unreadable and  motivated me to refinish and add the cooling fins on the covers 

I turned the cylinder manifolds upside down then scratched out the supercharger, injector, and distributor ...

everything else is from the 3 in 1 Big Duece kit ...

Love it. Beautiful engines. The Potving would work with a loooong hood.

thanks for the replies everybody 

Pat, I'm rethinking as I'm going and researching what was possible in the 1930s ... I read a piece about those centrifugal superchargers and how they screamed and could be heard over others in races ... so the decision was easy 

Love the concept. Always a fan of "what if?" builds that try to reflect historical technical accuracy for the most part. Your crank-driven centrifugal blower would certainly work, and would be a much better setup than some of the real Mickey Mouse drives that were actually used. The finning on your inlet plenum looks good too. I'll be following.  :D

Love the concept. Always a fan of "what if?" builds that try to reflect historical technical accuracy for the most part. Your crank-driven centrifugal blower would certainly work, and would be a much better setup than some of the real Mickey Mouse drives that were actually used. The finning on your inlet plenum looks good too. I'll be following.  :D

Thanks Bill. I hope I don't disappoint too much ...

• 1 month later...

This is a real treat Mike.  Your original concept and the changes you're making along the way have really grabbed my interest and I especially like what you've done with the engine already.   The entire car is going to be pretty spectacular.  Cheers, tim

This is a real treat Mike.  Your original concept and the changes you're making along the way have really grabbed my interest and I especially like what you've done with the engine already.   The entire car is going to be pretty spectacular.  Cheers, tim

Thank you very much Tim.

I've got some decision making to do on the fenders, grill and exhaust. I was thinking full fenders, shaved and trimmed a bit, but now thinking about front bicycle ones ... will see ... I'm looking at the LeMans cars of the era

also rear mounted spares like the alphas ... inset in the trunk with or without a cover ... I'll see if I can pick up one or two more jag wheels 

• 3 weeks later...

... I think I may take a little more ... gotta make some decisions ... maybe fab the hood and radiator grille first 

I also really want to have the exhaust on the side, not underneath ... maybe turn it out just before the rear fender ... I can't find an example from around 1932 though ... not leMans anyway ...

Edited by LaughingIndian