Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Deuce GT

LaughingIndian

Thanks Scott.

... this thing’s evolving on its own. The gran touring cars of the era had huge exhaust systems for some reason (I imagine running through villages got complaints) and I’m thinkin’ ole Henry woulda approved anyway. So I thought a v8 using both sides of the car would make a statement. I imagined a side exhaust exiting just in front of the rear wheels. But once I stuck it on, I thought it looked too long for the car and shortened it up to in front of the front fenders. What do ya think? I’m not sure ...

28E0FCFB-61EC-446F-8C05-80F729F98E0A_zps

82C067D6-9E7D-4F44-A605-61C4E8B91B71_zps

Edited by LaughingIndian

44 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

I think if the header dropped with the angle of the front fender. The muffler could be rotated and fixed to the frame... almost like an S/C Cobra side pipes... my 2cents

Thanks Bruce, but I want to keep in  line (somewhat) with the era like this Napier ...

9FF0722A-8A7B-4782-94BB-B0E6362BDDF5.jpeg

22 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

I think if the header dropped with the angle of the front fender. The muffler could be rotated and fixed to the frame... almost like an S/C Cobra side pipes... my 2cents

Jeeez, for awhile there I forgot why I was here ... you guys know your stuff ...

C50FA2A6-A87C-425C-950F-2AD616BAD818.jpeg

Gotta get a thicker pipe ... what do ya think Bruce ?

Edited by LaughingIndian

I like the lower exhaust like Bruce suggested, but shorten up the pipe between the header an muffler. You gotta leave room for a person to get in/out without risking a burn ward visit. 

I don't know how I've missed this thread until just now, but I really like the work going on here. Great stuff.

10 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I like the lower exhaust like Bruce suggested, but shorten up the pipe between the header an muffler. You gotta leave room for a person to get in/out without risking a burn ward visit. 

I don't know how I've missed this thread until just now, but I really like the work going on here. Great stuff.

Thanks Rob ... I figure if the driver’s too short to get both cheeks over, he doesn’t get to drive this beast :)

... however ... I took your advice and I got this

AC2B7C6F-D86E-49E3-9736-72CD756E2A2A_zps

... and now I’m in  love ... and I feel vulnerable 

Edited by LaughingIndian

13 hours ago, LaughingIndian said:

Thanks Rob ... I figure if the driver’s too short to get both cheeks over, he doesn’t get to drive this beast :)

... however ... I took your advice and I got this

... and now I’m in  love ... and I feel vulnerable 

I approve. Looks spot on. And I know what you mean.

On 3/8/2019 at 3:32 PM, Codi said:

I hadn't checked this out before Mike, my loss but I know I'll be following along as you progress.  I like the last pic you shared especially and your sense of humor.   cheers, tim

Thank you Tim ... I tend to crack jokes as a distraction away from not knowing what I’m doing 

please bear with me ... I joke a lot

• 1 month later...

I just spent too much time making a tonneau ... I started with 3 ply plastic painted with acrylic polymer . It looked perfect for a week then started flaking ... then while cleaning the shed, I found a scrap roll of landscape and brainstormed making a sandwich of that and the plastic sheeting using locktite Go2 glue ... it failed, but while tearing it all apart, I found the surface of the fabric with glue to be close to what I wanted ... so I took just the fabric, spread the glue using a credit card, put the glued side down on wax paper and used the credit card to burnish the whole mess down ...

B51A872D-F051-40B2-AC8B-19526EC74121_zps

I cut size 32 dress pins for the “snaps” ... trimmed ... then dullcoted 

6AAE5740-F988-46CF-9240-C6301096C014_zps

5BF7FB5A-EAB8-421D-A0FB-020FC5D5E93B_zps

Edited by LaughingIndian

I feel like I woke up with a hangover and something laying next to me that isn’t as good lookin’ as it were a few hours ago ...

after looking at my own pics, I can see that exhaust still ain’t right ... I gotta redo ‘em 

Edited by LaughingIndian

.....The Change comes at different times for us all...

The seats look good.. got to get some rigidity to the edge of the tonneau tho....say that fast three times

Oooh leather.. looks real ! 

tweek_LI.thumb.jpg.c885967338955ace2bdf2c4bed635f90.jpg

If you ran two out of each side to the muffler and a single shorty tilted over the rears, ..might get away with it...

WatchinB)

1 hour ago, Belugawrx said:

.....The Change comes at different times for us all...

The seats look good.. got to get some rigidity to the edge of the tonneau tho....say that fast three times

Oooh leather.. looks real ! 

If you ran two out of each side to the muffler and a single shorty tilted over the rears, ..might get away with it...

WatchinB)

dam you ... I wanted to fix it before anyone noticed ... i saw the same thing about the two exhausts out the manifold 

I’ve been using tube for the pipes and gave up trying to bend it  ... I ordered rods from plastruct ... 

the tonneau is another work in progress ... I’d like to master it before I hit the Pocher fiat next season ... I hate the kit version 

thanks for that “grime” recipe Bruce . the addition of the coffee color and acrylic glazing medium really helped ... I like the look over the kit chrome ... in real life it looks like the old nickel plated cadmium from the era ... and yeah, it makes Carmel color look like leather ...