Model Cars Magazine Forum

Papa Truck Kenworth

leafsprings

• 2 weeks later...

No, the Papa Truck model kit have have never had anything else than the 10-hole Alcoa's and that goes for the Hideout Truck too, the Truck Mate 5-hole wheels Ben shows he has done the master for.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the very first Papa issue by AMT. 2nd or 3rd reissues are not always the same  as the originals. Case in point, the first KW 925 had torsions bars, later had spring set up. Early Pete 359 had green windows, later had clear.

I picked mine up on Tuesday. Am I the only one who wishes in the flourish of nostalgia that overwhelms these reissues they'd stop reprinting the old instructions? It was cute for awhile, but on something like this kit which ends up having 3 fold out 1970s size instruction sheets, I could forgo the "Once upon a time" nature of the directions and take a new set that isn't full of a bajillion haphazardly drawn arrows pointing and random vague representations of the kit parts.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the very first Papa issue by AMT. 2nd or 3rd reissues are not always the same  as the originals. Case in point, the first KW 925 had torsions bars, later had spring set up. Early Pete 359 had green windows, later had clear.

Well the Papa Truck hasn't been out that often, once for a couple of years back in the early 80's, and likewise for the Hideout Truck, I have two each of the original issue (I bought one Super Boss and one Papa Truck back in 1982, the others I have bought later) and the content are the same, I haven't recieved my new Papa Truck yet but I believe the differences are the decals and tires...otherwise it's the same as the original.
The Super Boss Thermo King version was announced the first time in the 1978 catalog, release date September.
The Super Boss Bandag version came in 1981, with a changed decal sheet.
The Papa Truck was issued the first time  in 1981.
The Bandag Bandit also in 1981.
And finally the Hideout Truck 1981
They were in the catalog for 1982-83 also and I don't know of any re-issues after that until now.
But the base kit, the Kenworth K100 Aerodyne, has been out several times, as the BJ and the Bear truck (I don't have that one), a couple of other generic trucks (wich I have) and I think the frame rails are different lengths, otherwise they are the same as the Malone Transporters except for decals, transporter body and tires.

Can someone please post moluminum's contact email address so I may purchase Ben's rim's for the Papa truck, for some stupid reason IE11, Chrome & Firefox won't open on the "contact us" link, I just get a blank page, Thank you

jlrahmo@aol.com

It didn't show up for me, either, but when I scrolled over the "International customers please contact us" it was visible in the browsing bar at the bottom of the page. It seems like the have ordering disabled. as I was not able to add anything to the shopping cart.

I've found Round 2 releases to be better than the originals. They seem to clean up the vintage dies,goe back to original parts and improve decal sheets. The papa truck kit came out at the time AMT was cutting back on quality and could have been better.

• 2 weeks later...

If you with "Bandag Branded" mean the Bandag Bandit and The Hideout Truck, I think they will most likely follow as they are based on the same tooling as the Papa Truck and Super Boss, the Bandag Bandit has some parts different from the Super Boss and of course the decals, but the only difference between the Hideout Truck and the Papa Truck are the decals.

Otherwise the Super Boss is the only one of them with Thermo King decals as it was first issued with them, the second issue had Bandag badges on the doors same as the other three as the decals got changed when the others were released, and now the latest Super Boss issue has both decal options on one sheet.

• 7 months later...

No, the Papa Truck model kit have have never had anything else than the 10-hole Alcoa's and that goes for the Hideout Truck too, the Truck Mate 5-hole wheels Ben shows he has done the master for.

I found these wheels in my stash of truck wheels, and I been building truck models since the early 70's, and I know I never had them chromed, and have had them well over 30 years. I scratched the back chrome off and there was white plastic,not grey resin.  Also, these clearly have threads and lug nuts, not caps  Any explanations?

IMG_5322.JPG

IMG_5323.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

It looks like the rear wheels from the Super Boss or Bandag Bandit kits, the first issue of the Super Boss kit came second half of 1978, 40 years ago next year.
These whees are correct for the Papa Truck and Hideout Truck from the 1980's era before Malone changed to tubeless 2-hole Budd wheels...but as I said, the model kits of the transporters has allways had 10-hole Alcoa's.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late to the party here, but first off DO NOT look for the first release if you are planning to build the truck, GET THE REISSUE!!!!! The reason I say this is because I had this original issue

HPIM4775.thumb.JPG.9d4ea66b483f987ae5793

that I started to use to build this rig

20160927_231351.thumb.jpg.c5b7d9ee9724f2

once the reissues were announced and it was the biggest mistake I could have ever made!! As you will see in the next pic of the bare frame, and can also see some in the box pic at least with this kit, most of the kit other than the cab and frame rails were molded in a yellowish plastic and it proved to be very brittle with the almost 35 year age of the kit. 

HPIM4817.thumb.JPG.519fbffd7364db2a71c78

The cab hinges were the first to go, as was countless other parts including a part of the lower cab corner by the grille which was also molded in the yellowish plastic. 

HPIM4832.thumb.JPG.30439ad5b0ca59448d1c4

Needless to say, this never got much past the stage it is in with the pic of the painted cab and trailer because I got tired of fighting the brittle plastic and the cab will be rebuilt using one of my reissues. 

I do hope the pic of the frame you wanted finally does help you, and the wheels are 10 hole Alcoas in the kit, though I used a Moebius wheel and tire set for mine because the chrome in that original kit was not very good.