Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge L700 rollback

I started a project recently which I realize has probably already been done, this is my version. I purchased a rollback bed from eBay and have proceeded to take it apart and rework it because I found it to be "not quite right"...  I stretched the frame 2.625" using .375" I-beam from Plastruct. I absconded a round fuel tank as well as the battery box from a California Hauler kit. All the rollbacks I've seen have a bank of batteries so I figured the "one" from the L700 kit would be inadequate. It's a work in progress... and constructive thoughts would be appreciated. :)

IMG_1298.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

D,

Yes, I would like to add cylinders and controls.  I'm not planning on plumbing it tho.  I'm wrestling with how the cylinders will work and what space I have to work with... lol.

I did box in the battery box from the California Hauler as it was hollow using .020" styrene, also trimmed off the step from the front and added a handle. The toolboxes are mounted with 1/4"x3/8" rectangle styrene tube.

Next up is to make a backboard/headache rack and some type of square tube or channel rear bumper.  The one I had on there originally I didn't like so it's been removed. Also need to look at how to attach one of those tow lifts under the rear frame, and make said tow lift arm...

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1309.JPG

IMG_1308.JPG

I like this. One question. How is all this held together? I imagine it has to come apart for painting.

yes, the doors come off the hinges of the cab and the cab comes off the interior pan and the interior pan comes off the chassis.  The rollback slides off the rack and the rack can unhinge from the chassis. The wheels are just in place to help me visualize so I can take the tires from the front wheels and the rear wheels I stole from a trailer I'm working on, the real rear wheel set is off to the side... :)  the motor is assembled and painted, lol!

Edited by Mwwyrick