Model Cars Magazine Forum

As Requested: My Resin Graveyard - yikes!

Over the years we accumulate a lot of stuff. I'm sure many of my dups were, "Oh stinkers, I'm here, don't know if I have it...gotta get it"! I have a bunch of real car parts like that, too! Anyone need a Big Block fuel pump - I have 3!? Many resins were cars that I thought would never be seen again...HA!... fooled me, didn't they! Add the unbuilt kits I have, the numerous dups of them, for conversions, resins, parts or just 'cause I couldn't recall and I now have a very busy retirement!

So...I was requested, by Snake, to put this all in one post...so......hope you're happy!

Malibu Sedan: Been looking for a ZL-1 style hood for this for quite some time.... Even found a post here, where I requested help finding one. Seems like I bought 2 scoops at some time and found them while doing this piece! The quest has ended!!!!

Malibu.thumb.jpg.95e4af572a151a0f04daed6

The '62 Bel Air and Impala. No brainer...the minute I took possession, the kits were to be introduced or reissued....

62_Bel_Air.thumb.jpg.33f79e6ef734e20104e62_Impala.thumb.jpg.928202d1a2373ee737e5

Same with the '65 Impala and the '67....sigh. Back in the day, these were expensive, "must-haves"!

65_Impala.thumb.jpg.8aa35c54f589536da19667_Impala.thumb.jpg.cc7dad8875c45e4717c4

That being said.....I did get a '68, so I could round out the entire Impala collection. This I had planned on a Motion conversion.

68_Impala_SS.thumb.jpg.4a6c84a8056a80ad0

Then, someone in the model club tells me they have a '70 4dr. Sport Sedan, like my dad had....

70_Impala_Spt_SDN.thumb.jpg.fa36520b7f66

Anyone for a '66 Chevelle? Donor kit is a '67....

66_Chevelle.thumb.jpg.4175f7b6c7352ea265

I like Novas...a lot!

Here is a Sedan Delivery and a Sedan:

Nova_SDN_Del.thumb.jpg.437392de583153c71Nova_SDN.thumb.jpg.6cb5b404ca1fcc662c0f8

Maybe you like Vettes? I had to have this '67....only for it to come out later.... Nice thing is, there is a small block hood!

67_Roadster.thumb.jpg.52ddd403201e53547d

Since we are into GM convertibles...

'67 GTO, '68 GTO, '70 442, '70 Buick GS w/uptop! and a '70 Chevelle that looks ready to build! Somewhere, I have a parts box from my GMP days. I did the GTO series for them. I may have a whole tree of uptops! Need to check and see if they fit anything!

67_GTO_CV.thumb.jpg.6caa20273b069d64d42768_GTO_CV.thumb.jpg.b9705ec9a573ff6927cd70_442_CV.thumb.jpg.5263645d5e548bbd20bd70_Buick.thumb.jpg.72617bd463bc02fb0905270_Chevelle_CV.thumb.jpg.e08b9edb70440d3

'70 El Camino:

70_El_Camino.thumb.jpg.91199d92b0945a8ab

There is also a Chevy Tahoe:

Tahoe.thumb.jpg.0eafa27403965b50e9263390

My favorite find is this Firebird 400 with two hoods! I believe it was Cheez-Cast who made it!

Firebird.thumb.jpg.21574ed87969c7df45a9d

No Mopars?

'68, '69 and '70 Chargers (I have 2 '70's and can't understand why?), '68 Coronet (R&R - it is rough), '70 Coronet that was supposed to be an article car, but turned into a money pit. Really bad casting. New chrome parts from Holthaus, '70 Dart (I have 2 - but know why!)

68_Charger.thumb.jpg.f4acb77b041ed67247469_Charger.thumb.jpg.0e3fbd12da64364b05a70_Charger.thumb.jpg.fd4da72e7dc4f0f492a68_Coronet.thumb.jpg.e21a8d1009b12e1aa4570_Coronet.thumb.jpg.ee4c9890d150a4d58ae70_Dart.thumb.jpg.40646fb4e5795ef5955d3a

So you say I'm ignoring Ford?

'70 Torino GT - Guess why it sits? '66 Fairlane Sedan and Eleanor (my latest Ford, purchased from someone I met on the forum!).

One oddity....a 1:25th Mustang pedal car. The kit has white metal parts, photoetch and even a resin base! It's really cute and tiny!

70_Torino.thumb.jpg.c8f1f4089443307fd53dFairlane_SDNjpg.thumb.jpg.0f4ca02703e8daEleanor.thumb.jpg.fcba22433bb69a5702cbec

Pedal_Car.thumb.jpg.63dabfda4fc55592ac90

Let us not forget my impulse buy....I was working for Cadillac at the time...the XLR. This is where I found the extra ZL-1 hood. What would possess me to put them both in that box?

Cadillac_XLR.thumb.jpg.cb7afc960f530a186

Since I don't have enough to do and suspect I can take this into the afterlife...here are some newer resin scores! There are 2 Mavericks in case you have a memory like mine!

Newer_Resin.thumb.jpg.4d6518a83d56f32d84

Edited by George Bojaciuk

Lol! Already got a trade request, of course it's for something I want to build!

My whole intent is to start building this stuff since we all probably have a bunch and it's the purpose of my column, "Running at Redline". HA! I certainly don't need MORE stuff! My wife says the home won't allow all the models.

Neat stuff there George, I remember when some of those resin kits came out and thinking..."I should buy that" only to procrastinate and miss out on buying them before the company went out of business.

I like that Tahoe, surprised AMT never offered that and a Suburban in promo or kit form.

Nick,

By the time I came back to the Hobby, I actually "learned of" Modelhaus, about 2 months before they were announcing they were to close a year from that posting, then they closed early as that year today isn't up yet (I think they said June of 2017), SO that being said, I was a day late and a dollar short....

I like your Pyle and I have a similar Pyle of my own. Would love to have that 68 GTO convertible myself! I have more than 50 resin kits or body's. some I don't even know why I still have them. 69 Chevelle convertible, and MCW 65 Satelite come to mind. I have some duplicates too. Two 70 AMXs by Missing Link. Love that car and one is being built now. I also have two 70 Torino King Cobras. One is Jimmy Flinstone and designed for the Revell 1/24 kit. The other is Mini Exotics and is based off the AMT 70 Torino annual.

Like you stated some have lost value do to new tool kits. I have a Modelhaus 68 Charger R/T and a Modelhaus 72 Olds 442 convertible with the W/30 upgrade. Both I have built and enjoyed. I built a Modelhaus 70 Charger also and have one more unbuilt Modelhaus kit of it in my stash.

Some started getting some serious money on eBay and were sold off. Mini Exotics 68 Cougar GTE, Mini Exotics 427 Cobra Daytona Coupe, R&R 70 Chrysler 300. Some Modelhaus items are going crazy lately. Did anyone else see the 68 Chevelle conversion kit that was only the front, rr bumpers, dash and taillights go for $166?

John, that July of 17 date is two months after they had planned to have all orders produced and shipped so they could retire in May of '17. But they received so many orders they are going to have to continue producing until July now, in order to fulfill all of them. So their planned retirement will already be two months later than planned! As much as I hate to see the loss of Modelhaus, they kind of deserve the retirement. They are already missed by many that have found missing or damaged items in kits that many have purchased since the website shutdown. But if they had kept the site open they never would be able to retire, so many people have items they now know they need but did not know they needed before the announced date of final orders to be submitted. Won't say how I know that is a fact, might embarrass myself!!

Edited by socal76

Great collection!  Drooling here.

But your Cadillac resin collection seems to be missing one very rare kit - the 1948 Cadillac Coupe de Ville from TKM Resin.  I just happen to have one of these vintage, rare, HTF, unobtainium kits in my own resin collection.  I'm sure we can work out a trade or something...

48cad_1sm.JPG

George, just found this post. (I don't normally look at this section that often.)

I know what you mean about as soon as you buy the resin, the kit will appear. It's a standing joke in Model Airplane World--as soon as you finish a difficult vac build, Revell or Tamiya will announce the kit. BTDT.

Don't turn up your nose at that '67 Corvette. The old AMT body is actually shaped better than the Revell '67 Roadster (though not as well as the Revell '67 Coupe). Pick up a common AMT '63 reissue and get to work on that thing! The original AMT C2 Vettes are a load of fun. I just finished one ('67 Coupe) yesterday, and with some luck will finish an original '63 Coupe this weekend. I've already restored one original '63 Coupe and have two '66s and a '65 on the workbench as we speak.

I know what you mean about as soon as you buy the resin, the kit will appear. It's a standing joke in Model Airplane World--as soon as you finish a difficult vac build, Revell or Tamiya will announce the kit. BTDT.

Also a standing joke in Model Military World.  You want to build some rare tank.  So you spend $50 on a long-discontinued Dragon base kit. Another $50 on the resin conversion kit that was only produced for 2 hours in Uzbekistan back around 2005...which has to be improved with several packs of Grandt/Tichy rivets, nuts and bolts and ARCHER weld beads. Add a few $25 sheets of EDUARD photo-etched brass for some parts that sorta look like they might work.  Another $40-50 for Friulmodel metal tracks.  Oh, and add in the only known reference on this tank, a long out-of-print book of blurry B&W photos privately published by the Dnepropetrovsk Military Model Club in 1993.  And after you do all that, next week MENG or TAKOM will release a plastic kit of the tank. 

Some things in my own Resin Graveyard that are probably safe from a plastic release anytime soon:

REJI-MODEL 1/24 '77 Skoda 130RS, Monte Carlo Rally

1/25 Checker Cab full kit

58 Chrysler Imperial and 59 Mercury 2-dr station wagons

SSB Resins Ford Ambulance vans - 2005 New York Fire Dept. and 2006 Los Angeles F.D.

OK...to answer some questions: Not sure who made the 442 CV kit. It is made to work with the Johan 442 kit. I know I had an extra just for this project.

The XLR..I believe I found this on Flintstone's table one year, at NNL East.  I've played a lot with it and a Monogram Corvette ('93) seems to fit the best. Not sure If I'm going to build it yet. I have some folding Franklin Mint seats that would great in this!

As for the '67 Vette...yes, I do plan on building that one, not sure what way to go yet. I've only had 15 years to think about it. That being said, take a look on the Workbench at my "deal'! Another one for Snake!

Nice stash George. Liked your builds and articles for (cough) decades. :)

I think AAM did the 442 and the 2-dr Tahoe. I bought tons from Art, but mostly Duesenbergs, Cords. Should have bought Tahoe. The GSX convertible, and Malibu Coupe are Perry's IIRC. Flintstone still does the XLR pretty sure. The 62 BelAir bubbletop is a very early Modelhaus casting in the old brown resin. Still looks great. 

Still kicking myself for missing Don's 61 300 Chrysler convert. I've got an AAM 60 300 (and of course a 56 300, fitting the plastic kit following resin) :(

Tahoe was definitely Perry's. My Typhoon started as an AAM Blazer. The 442, not sure it's Art's. His boxes were always marked. This is in a plain white box.

Several regrets: sold the extra Blazer I had, a '67 Buick GS and '68 Cougar GTE...all AAM. I was going to convert the Blazer to my GMC. Had wheels and tires and all!

The 442 convertible might be a Carl Rees piece.  He was doing a ton of 442 stuff for a time.  It's probably better than the Revell kit, which is generally good but has that banana-shaped rear bumper.  I'm trying to come up with a way of fixing the Revell body to fit the Jo-Han rear bumper because I never got around to picking up any of the resin convertible bodies.

I've got one of those '62 Bel Air kits too.  Mine is an earlier one, with the hood molded shut.  I bought that one back when Modelhaus was doing only '61-'62 Chevy stuff, before they were even doing plated parts.  Later on, I bought a hood and a set of plated bumpers for it.  The most recent plan involves plugging an original '62 annual kit chassis into it.  Since AMT/Ertl released their excellent new-tool '62 kits, the value of the annuals (especially less than perfect built ones) has plummeted.  I think I've got three really clean convertibles (each of those cost less than a new kit), and I lucked into a couple of poorly built ones with really clean chassis.  I've got a Modelhaus Impala hardtop too; that one will also get an annual kit chassis.  The newer Revell hardtop is nice enough, but the AMT kits still stand up pretty well as far as I'm concerned.