Model Cars Magazine Forum

NAME 1 ARTIST

PARTSMARTY

Tough one for me. I'm mainly a hard rock/metal guy, but I like pretty much everything. My tastes run from Industrial metal, to EDM, to jazz, to blues..there's usually something from every genre I can get in to. Except for country music. And modern R&B/hip-hop/rap. And I have no guilty pleasures, because I'm not feeling guilty about any of the nonsense I listen to!

Having said that, the artist that surprises the most people when they find out I'm a fan is probably Maroon 5.

Normally older rock,some punk,and country but also a fan of Desi Arnaz ....

I think you win. B)

I'm a rock kinda guy, but every so often I go on a jag of listening to military/Sousa-type marches. Stars and Stripes Forever, Washington Post, and National Emblem are my favorites, but there are several others I dig whose titles I can't come up with at the moment. (Of course, that's not an "artist," that's a music type, so, I know, doesn't really belong in this thread....)

I listen to Rockabilly / Rock 'n' Roll only, but the only exception in here would be Johnny Cash I guess. All of that modern noise that most of my age people are listening causes me a headache.:D

I'm glad you posted this, because I've been wanting to ask you what Rockabilly bands you like. There was some I asked you about a long time ago but forgot what it was. Always looking for new music to listen to and I love Rockabilly/Psychobilly.

So much so, that I'm going to learn how to place this once I finish it! 

It's a german upright bass made from aluminum. I'm going to fully polish it, and then have it pinstriped and put a pickup on it.

That's a good looking Double Bass right there! I'd like to have one myself too (Even though I probably couldn't play it :P)!

There are lots of great bands all over the world. Too much to be listed, but why not to name a few...

´-The Go Getters, my favorite and they come from Sweden.

-Stray Cats...Everyone knows this one, right?

-Blue Cats. This band makes the fans go crazy! They're from England...

-The PoleCats. Another British group that are well known for their wild live performances. They sound excellent too.

-The Wise Guyz. An excellent group from Ukraine playing old style Rockabilly. Their live shows sound excellent!

-The Rockin' 8 Balls, a Finnish group that tears the house down every time. They do both, slow and fast songs very nicely and live performances are great!

-Mike Bell And The Belltones, another Finnish band that sounds great! Seen them in person several times, and whenever possible, will see them again!

-The Greasers, Finnish trio that is, in my opinion, one of the toughest bands in this country!

-The Generals, an older Finnish group that was around in my dad's teenage days. They did a comeback a couple of years ago and they sound really good even after those decades!

-The Bull's Eye. Another Finnish band that has been around for a long time. If you like Crazy Cavan, you'll like this one too! The guitarrist has a wireless connection on his guitar so he's often playing in the audience. Once at a local cruising night he went playing outside in the parking lot while rest of the band was inside on stage.:D

-The Lo-Lites. Yet another Finnish trio that sounds great!

-Shoebox Revue. Finnish group with a lady in the vocals. They sound great and do great job with both, slow and faster songs... Whenever they're performing I try to make it to the audience!

-Teddy And The Tigers. One of the first Rockabilly bands in Finland, they were active in '77-'80 and at that time for a while they were even the most popular band in Finland. They have done a few gigs after that, but nowadays the singer and guitarrist, "Teddy Guitar" has had major health issues so he's unable to perform...

Well there's something. Most of them are Finnish, but what would be the point to shout out bands you all know...;)

Right on! Thanks!! 

Some of the ones I listen to that aren't from the US are: Nekromantix and also Zombie Ghost Train.. that's more psychobilly but I dig it.  Another band from Russia/Ukraine that started out as Rockabilly was a band called The Red Elvises. They went techno/disco for a bit then got back to rock n roll. I really like those guys.

I can't play standup bass either, but I'm going to learn! I messed with it a little before I tore it apart. 

Thanks for the leads

Edited by JTalmage

It's always great when someone else is interested in this kind of music too, it definitely doesn't happen too often!

Sometimes I listen to Psychobilly too, even though not as much as Rockabilly. Batmobile is probably my favorite Psychobilly band, and I was happy to see them live here in Finland last year. Nekromantix and Zombie Ghost Train are good too, but that Red Elvises was a new one for me, I gotta check that out!

And looks like I forgot one important band from my previous list.... The Shakin' Pyramids from Scotland. They're fantastic, and nowadays two of the original members are playing together in a new group, The Veloninos. That sounds great too.

I've always been southern rock mixed with some heavy metal and country, but i'd have to say trans siberian orchestra.

Weren't they behind Metallica for a performance? Seems I remember them having an orchestra for one song, especially......... I can't remember the song's title, but the lyrics went...

"And it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way......"

It's always great when someone else is interested in this kind of music too, it definitely doesn't happen too often!

Sometimes I listen to Psychobilly too, even though not as much as Rockabilly. Batmobile is probably my favorite Psychobilly band, and I was happy to see them live here in Finland last year. Nekromantix and Zombie Ghost Train are good too, but that Red Elvises was a new one for me, I gotta check that out!

And looks like I forgot one important band from my previous list.... The Shakin' Pyramids from Scotland. They're fantastic, and nowadays two of the original members are playing together in a new group, The Veloninos. That sounds great too.

Definitely. Not too many people into this kind of music. 

Oh, there's another psychobilly band that is really good... they're called Rezurex. Dude has a really great voice. 

As far as Red Elvises go, they cross genres a lot. They play a lot of different styles of music. They even have a couple albums in Russian. I can't understand a thing they're saying but I enjoy it. It's a refreshing change because they do so much different stuff.

Thanks for the tips on all of those, that will keep me busy for a while.