Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nichels Pearson GTO

yellowsportwagon

I tried to build this car just as Nichels Engineering built the real car. Used a frame from a Polar lights 64 GTO because it was separate from the floor pan.Cut off the frame at the firewall and attached a Holman Moody frt frame section. Put Chevy truck rear control arms on the back . Modified a Polar Light Talledega roll cage to fit.Then I filled the fender and hood scoops. Opened up all wheel openings and flared the frts. Moved the grille forward made the spoilers and narrowed the rear bumper.Painted Plum Crazy and White with Billy Goochie decals. PPP tires with AMT NASCAR tires. Stock GTO kit engine with AMT NASCAR 351 Cleveland heads reshaped to look like Pontiac RAV heads.Lots of other scratch built bits and pieces.Almost forgot that I moved the back wheel wells back1/8 inch to stretch the wheelbase as was common on GM cars in NASCAR at the time.

Tim

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

Edited by yellowsportwagon

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, DoctorLarry said:

Did the chassis builders leave the back part of the stock frame intact and simply skin new floor pans and trunk pans in or did they put in a whole new rear clip as well?

On the earlier cars such as this they left the rear pretty intact. The later 70s they got more fabbed.

34 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Great transformation of a stock kit into a nascar racer. I would like to do a 66 Fairlane. Have you ever done one of those? I would like to see how the frame was done on them. 

I did a 66 Fairlane using a Polar Lights Talledega chassis. They were the beginning of the half chassis Holman-Moody Fords. The Polar chassis fits pretty good you need to shorten the frt horns and the wheelbase a tiny bit. I just moved the leaf springs forward a bit. I’ll post it up tonight.

Edited by yellowsportwagon
Miss

8 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

I did a 66 Fairlane using a Polar Lights Talledega chassis. They were the beginning of the half chassis Holman-Moody Fords. The Polar chassis fits pretty good you need to shorten the frt horns and the wheelbase a tiny bit. I just moved the leaf springs forward a bit. I’ll post it up tonight.

Thanks, Tim. I think I have a Richard Petty Talladega kit that is a polar lights kit that I could use. Also what is the difference between a 66 and 67 Fairlane if any?

• 1 year later...