Model Cars Magazine Forum

CANNONBALL 2017

Jantrix

Welcome to the 10th annual running of the Model Car Cannonball Run. This will also be called the Brock Yates Memorial Run as we lost Brock back in October 2016.

When we started this CBP in ’08, I’d no idea that we’d still be doing this 10 years later. I’ve been very proud to be part of such an excellent group of modelers. So without further eloquence, let’s get to it. First off, there is no theme this year. It’s what we call “unlimited”. Build whatever car that you’d like to try to run cross country in. It’s always been very popular with a lot of variety.

The rules:

1.       The build can be either a new or started kit up to 25% complete. A rebuilder or parts box special is okay too. 1/24 or 1/25.

EXCEPTION TO RULE 1. If you have a previously started racer from a previous running of the Cannonball (SA or MCM) 50% complete or less, they are eligible to run this year. This is a one year only rule change to commemorate our tenth running. All of our previous runs are still available on either of the two forums. If you are going to do this, please be certain it was involved in a previous run.

2.       Before starting please post a photo of your kit(s) or pile o’ parts. No limitation on type of vehicle or technology used.

3.       The car must appear to be street legal. Headlights, tail lights, license plate etc.

4.       As always, have fun and watch out for two priests in a red Ferrari.

5.       Optional – As a memorial to the late Brock Yates, without whom there would be no Cannonball Run, add his name to the build in some way, a license plate, bumper sticker or something. Or add the original Cannonball logo. Or choose a car he drove in the Cannonball. Anything you can think of. Be creative.

That’s it for rules. The following is just FYI.

You may start a separate build thread for your build if you wish, but please keep the CBP thread updated.

The car can be as eye catching or non-descript as you wish.

Build time begins on January 1st, 2017 and ends at 11:59PM on December 1st, 2017. That’s 11 months folks.

After the finish someone will create a poll and we’ll have the “race”, a public vote.

A few weeks prior I’ll start a completed builds thread, for posting up your work and we’ll work the poll from that thread. Take some GOOD PHOTOS!

You may build as many models as you wish for this CBP but only one can be entered in the public voting poll after Dec. 2.

You can enter this CBP at any time up to 48 hours before the end date.

I’d like to take this opportunity to acknowledge all of our past winners of the nine Cannonballs we’ve done to date. As you can clearly see, even though it is a public vote, it is far from a popularity contest. Each winner turned in top shelf work that could win awards in any judged contest. It is also to be noted that on top of turning in great work, they also represented themselves well with some outstanding photos. Congratulations again to all of them.

2017 roster

MeatMan - 2006 Chevy Camaro

Otherunicorn - truck-thingie

Cpt. Tuttle - Volvo 850 Turbo Estate

W-409 - Chrysler Turbine Car

Erik Smith - 2009 Dodge Challenger

Jordan White - '91 Chevy S-10

Jhedir6 - '65 Shelby GT350R

Jay's Customs - '68 Charger

Tim H - '69 Plymouth GTX

Wrecker388 - '64 Dodge 330

Pim - '41 Willys Coupe

Lunajammer - 1990 Corvette ZR1

Canso65 - Aston Martin DB5

Jantrix - '67 Charger

Belugawrx - '70 Cuda

Pat Minarick - Dodge Magnum

Jhedir - Audi R8 Extreme TK

Bill_67 - '72 Javelin AMX

64SS350 - Bumble Bee '67 Camaro

Dominik - Mercedes Benz 300 SLR and "Chaser GT"-Japanese-4DR

Grid_88 - '95 Toyota Supra

Oldcarfan - Police Impala

Zenrat - ProLux '76 Caprice

FredRPG - Dodge Van

426 Pack - 1970 Monte Carlo

OM617 - 1957ish Maserati 3500.

KWT - '83 Hurst Olds

Jaguar Man 21 - '90 Mustang

VWDave92 - Ferrari F40

Edited by Jantrix

This Swedish brick will be my entry. Am I going nuts? No.

*Reliability is one of the most important factors in a race like this, and everybody knows that Volvos are indestructible, right?
*5 cylinder turbo engine can be tuned to 4-500 reliable HP without any huge problems.

*It is quite discrete, after all, who would think that a Volvo wagon was taking part in an illegal race?
*Lots of room for everything that may be needed to fix breakdowns after the road.

Are you convinced now?

*Reliability is one of the most important factors in a race like this, and everybody knows that Volvos are indestructible, right?
*5 cylinder turbo engine can be tuned to 4-500 reliable HP without any huge problems.

My friend would disagree. After a string of ECUs, head gaskets and turbos (with very little travel in between), he got rid of the thing.

This Swedish brick will be my entry. Am I going nuts? No.

*It is quite discrete, after all, who would think that a Volvo wagon was taking part in an illegal race?
*Lots of room for everything that may be needed to fix breakdowns after the road.

Are you convinced now?

I think it's a great idea! Isn't suspension of reality a big part of model building anyway!! It's not like an XLR with a 12 cylinder racing across the country isn't pushing reality. 

This is what I'll be building for this Cannonball, a Jo-Han Chrysler Turbine Car. It'll definitely not have a Turbine engine though. Actually I'm not sure about the engine choice yet, but I'm thinking about somekind of Mopar Big Block, or then the reliable Chevy Big Block... Let's see. Anyway, I've had this pile of Turbine Car parts for a long time and now this is a good place to build it. It's missing some parts, the biggest problem is the rear bumper and tail lights. If I can't find a bumper, I guess I'll have to scratchbuild something from sheet styrene. This is not gonna be factory stock anyway so.......

DSCN8232_zpse2gdhy6q.jpg

DSCN8233_zpsosgaiyis.jpg

Can't wait to start building it next year!

Is anyone going to produce the decals for the sides of the vehicles?

I would like to get a set to use on a couple of entries. If I can get the decals I'll enter the build off.

I can make decals if anyone wants some. As a commercial artist I'm fluent in Photoshop and Illustrator and can easily set these up. Anybody who wants one, maybe give me an indication of the size you'll need (as accurately as possible) and I'll set up them up at varying sizes. They'll be printed at high resolution on an office Xerox laser printer on either Microscale or Bare Metal decal paper. If you guys want the "10" in the red field as originally mentioned by Jantrix I'll add that. PM me and when they're ready I'll send you my address. Send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I'll mail them out to you.

I prefer to print these once so I'll take requests prior to printing. 

If one of our screen printing decal makers offers to do it, I'll defer to them for printing.

I know I'm going to try to finish the F-1 Trophy truck from last year, and I want to do an additional build for the 2017 CBP alone. I've got a few ideas. I'm thinking a NASCAR truck with street spec parts. Or maybe something like the Roadkill Nascarlo. Or maybe a 64 Dodge 330 Pro-Touring with a V-10 and a suspension from a Dodge Sidewinder... Choices... :rolleyes: