Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first custom

boyesreef

Trying my first custom car. Starting out with a Lindberg 1940 Ford coupe. I cut about 1/4 inch out of the roof, so a 3"? Drop top. I put a mustang scoop on the hood. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it's growing on me. This is my first attempt to chop a top, so bear with me. I cut it off, than cut it into sections. After that I lengthened it to line the pillars back up and glued it together. It will get a layer of putty before paint.

IMG_20161229_220126_zpsgkpngs4e.jpg

As you can tell by the front end picture, Lindberg lives up to the quality we all know and love. That's why I don't feel bad chopping this one apart. I realize this is a major chop to attempt as a first chop, but if I can do this, I can do a model a no problem.

Edited by boyesreef

Considering a 39 40 Ford is one of the toughest rooflines to chop and get it right, you're doing pretty good here because you have a good roof line going with it. It flows well and looks right. Can't wait to see more of it as it comes along!!!!!

Keep Chopin' on!!!!!!

Doc

I think you did a great job so far on the top chop. As others have mentioned, this is a very difficult job on this body style. Even 1:1 builders are very reluctant to chop this body. I know you like the hood scoop but it kind of sends a mixed message. The scoop gives more of the  performance or drag type look. A custom usually has smoother body lines. That said, maybe you're thinking something along the lines of a Protouring build with an engine that would require a hood scoop then yes. In the end this is just my thought, and thoughts are like belly buttons, we all have one. It's your build, please build it your way.     

Looks good, Don't see the roofs on these chopped in this manner much. Usually the rear window area in tilted forward to make up the length difference and the window does not change in size. The photo is a build by "Fletch" 

As good as you are doing this way, maybe try the other way on another and see how they compare.

I vote loose the scoop unless it is a drag car of sorts. The era's do not mix

DSCN3490-vi.jpg

I've decided to try all my skills out. I've built many a custom 1:1 cars, however I'm not used to working in plastic, lol! I have a 68? Mustang that the body went to another project, so I scavenged some bits. Smoothed the rails and grafted on the mustang front suspension, and of course the engine. Dropped the car down low in the front.

I figured if I'm doing a chopped top I may as well do a full out custom. I'm going to graft any performance options I can from the mustang over to the coupe, without making it look tacky. Finishing it off with a set of 5 spoke creigers. I'm trying to decide Kubota orange, or flat black. Whichever one I do, my rat rod model A will be the other, rusted of course. That one will be my first weathering job.

The Mustang suspension and engine is a great idea. The front track should be very close to the '40's. Do you have the rear suspension to use also ? Staying with the custom idea it would be great if you could include some of the interior parts.  

Update fellas. I took some advise and fabbed up the mustang interior to fit in the car, minus the dash. Behind the front seats would have never fit a back seat so I installed a cover. I'll get pics of that later. Here's what we got so far.

IMG_20170101_152912_zpsbah0abb6.jpg

IMG_20170101_153348_zpsshxn3kbn.jpg

The paint turned out OK, you really can't see the lines in the roof too much. After another coat of black you won't see it at all. 

IMG_20170101_163415_zpsxq0culxt.jpg

Don't worry about the orange/black transition, that will get a silver pinstripe that will hide the Shakey line.

In the last picture here you can see the rear cargo cover.

Edited by boyesreef