Model Cars Magazine Forum

Halibrand Wheel Project

Halibrand might be the most famous (and coolest IMHO) wheels in racing (road racing, Indy, drag).  They made some great street car wheels as well.    I thought I would start a project to catalog as many of the wheel types as I can.  When possible I will include a kit/aftermarket source.  I would welcome any and all contributions.  All I ask is that you please please please include a photo.  

You guys beat to the post in regards to the Replica & Miniatures and the Accurate Miniature Halibrands but here are a couple more which may be related and of course Halibrand slot wheels can be found in various Revell hot rod kits.

AMT Parts Pak

DSCN4400

Mini Exotic white metal

DSCN4402

Replicas & Miniatures mounted

DSCN4399DSCN4401

Sprint - kit source?

Sprint

AMT definitely did a set of those in an old kit, but without the center cap. I had some come in that had been swapped on to an original AMT AlaKart gluebomb by the first builder. The way they fit the old generic AMT bias-ply tires, it was pretty obvious they were made to...but I don't know which kit they originated in.

These early sprint-car Halibrands appear in the Revell Orange Crate kit, but in a scale 15" diameter.

Image result for halibrand sprint car wheels      Image result for revell orange crate

These similar solid-center Indy-car wheels (with nice period Firestones) are in the old Monogram Kurtis Indy Roadster.

Related image

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I don't think I've ever seen these referred to as "Halibrands" before. I've always known them as Romeo Palisides or Americans. Halibrand made them too?

I didn't think Halibrand made 12 spokes either but was taking R&M's word for it.

These say American Racing.

dsc_3427.jpg

I didn't think Halibrand made 12 spokes either but was taking R&M's word for it.

These say American Racing.

I don't have a definitive answer, but there are some extremely light spoked magnesium wheels floating around out there with no cast-in ID. There is speculation they might be Halibrands, though to the best of my knowledge, there is no all-encompassing catalog of everything Halibrand ever made.

Magnesium never sleeps

There's an unusual set of supposed-to-be Halibrands on the front of the Tony Nancy 22 Jr. '29 Ford that I've never seen anywhere else...

I've been looking for something to use as a starting point to master these, as I'd really like to model this car. So far, no dice.

Image result for tony nancy 22 jr

Edited by Ace-Garageguy