Model Cars Magazine Forum

Halibrand Wheel Project

IndyCals - for the Monogram Indy Roadster - http://www.indycals.net/

Thanks for that. Those are exactly the centers I need for the wheels featured on the front of the Tony Nancy '29 I mentioned earlier, though I bet the wheels on the Nancy car are considerably smaller diameter than the ones built for Indy roadsters.

I didn't even know of the Indycals site or products, so thanks again.

Thanks for that. Those are exactly the centers I need for the wheels featured on the front of the Tony Nancy '29 I mentioned earlier, though I bet the wheels on the Nancy car are considerably smaller diameter than the ones built for Indy roadsters.

I didn't even know of the Indycals site or products, so thanks again.

True - very limited to what they can be used for - although these wheels are good for making replicas of other cars that ran a Indy from the Monogram Roadster kit, they are huge for 1/25 - they are 18" wheels for a kit that is oversize to start with.  It looks like they are from a 3d printed master so anything may be possible with a turn of the dial.

Edited by Muncie

I don't have a definitive answer, but there are some extremely light spoked magnesium wheels floating around out there with no cast-in ID. There is speculation they might be Halibrands, though to the best of my knowledge, there is no all-encompassing catalog of everything Halibrand ever made.

Magnesium never sleeps

Interestingly Speed City Resins refers to their 12 spoke as Halibrands as well.

http://www.speedcityresin.com/PartsPageWheels.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bill,

I have also been looking for these wheels for years.  I finished my 22Jr at least 15 years ago, probably more, but it has 12 spoke Americans on the front because otherwise it would never have been finished.  One thing I did notice when I photographed the car at the Petersen in 2010 was that the back of the wheel looks awfully like the back of the custom wheels in the old Revell 56 Chevy kit, with that kinda starfish look on an otherwise smooth dished back.  Now if only we could find something that close for the front.....

By the way, if you get started on the 22jr , give me a yell as I have  a perfect fitting vacform tarp for that car., plus a heap of reference info.

Thanks AFX for the great post!!!

Cheers

Alan

I have also been looking for these wheels for years.  I finished my 22Jr at least 15 years ago, probably more, but it has 12 spoke Americans on the front because otherwise it would never have been finished.  One thing I did notice when I photographed the car at the Petersen in 2010 was that the back of the wheel looks awfully like the back of the custom wheels in the old Revell 56 Chevy kit, with that kinda starfish look on an otherwise smooth dished back...

Thanks for the heads-up on the wheel backsides. I've recently found the custom wheels in the reissued MPC '75 Corvette that should give me a good starting point for the front side without having to mill it all out.

Halibrand Sprint, spindle mount, in both early (more squared off "windows") and later versions:

HalibrandSpMtFrt.jpg

2004122124413_halibrand4.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

Found in many AMT/MPC/Revell 1/25 scale FunnyCar kits, in varying degrees of accuracy.

The JO-HAN Funny Car kits (and maybe some of their Pro Stock kits like the Maverick/Comet) contain Halibrand front and rear wheels just like so, these parts being from the Challenger Funny Car:

JOHANChallFC.jpg.98b8f0d0d740f76a76e93ee038ec9a4c.jpg

Edited by Casey

I don't do ebay so I missed these on my first lap thru this topic - (I apologize to the seller)

Seller is forward_resin - good feedback - lots of wheels available

well known around here - others have posted their experiences with good parts and good service

Item imageItem image

Edited by Muncie

Halibrand Sprint, spindle mount, in both early (more squared off "windows") and later versions:

HalibrandSpMtFrt.jpg

2004122124413_halibrand4.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

Found in many AMT/MPC/Revell 1/25 scale FunnyCar kits, in varying degrees of accuracy. A more modern (but still inaccurate for almost all street vehicles) 18" version is found in AMT's 1/25 Phantom Vicky:

P1010013-1.jpg

Here's a shot of the real wheel companion to the rear wheels Speed City Resin offers, as shown in an earlier post:

Maz20Halibrand.jpg

There's a modern (18"?) reinterpretation of these wheels (with lug mounts) in the Revell snapper '57 Chevy, seen here on their '63 Corvette coupe snapper. I thought these wheels were a model fantasy until I recently saw them in an American ad, so apparently they're real.

Rev63VetteSnapsCD17_zpsj9g3kkox.jpg

American calls their interpretation "Salt Flat Special."

http://www.americanracing.com/wheel/4442/vn471-salt-flat-special

Edited by Snake45

AmericanRacingMiniatures.com comes back as "currently unavailable"... Is it gone?  This si a fairly new thread so thought they would still be there?  Or is my browser not working correctly?  It doesn't look like the normal "unavailable" message.

AmericanRacingMiniatures.com comes back as "currently unavailable"... Is it gone?  This si a fairly new thread so thought they would still be there?  Or is my browser not working correctly?  It doesn't look like the normal "unavailable" message.

I also get the message   THIS WEBSITE IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE. 

I also get the message   THIS WEBSITE IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE. 

I was on there site a few weeks past checking out a 1/25 Offy racing engine.

Based on some quick digging, looks like they did the site using one of these turn key services like Word Press etc..

Seems like it was disabled via a plugin.  So my guess is that its by design for whatever reason.

• 7 months later...

Halibrand might be the most famous (and coolest IMHO) wheels in racing (road racing, Indy, drag).  They made some great street car wheels as well.    I thought I would start a project to catalog as many of the wheel types as I can.  When possible I will include a kit/aftermarket source.  I would welcome any and all contributions.  All I ask is that you please please please include a photo.  

JC,

I really appreciate this thread. As it turns out, my stepmother is Linda Halibrand, the eldest daughter of Ted Halibrand, so I grew up a part of the Halibrand family since I was about 8, and knew Ted pretty well until he passed in 1991. Ted sold Halibrand in 1977, but kept the original campus of buildings, so my dad had his shop there in the early 80's until the early 90's. Ted also kept a small shop there to work on his retirement projects, and since I was always hanging down there, I got to know Ted pretty well. I can tell you, I really learned a lot from him, not to mention got to meet some really legendary people who would drop in to see him!

I'm always looking for Halibrand products in scale, including the quick change rear ends, so it's really cool to see this. I'll be following it going forward, for sure, and if I can make a contribution, I will.

-Art

• 2 weeks later...

2v296ALSTxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

As Bill already mentioned, the Halibrand "Touring" wheels that came on Avanti's (and also available outright from the Halibrand catalog) were also available in the Revell '31 Sedan / Sedan Delivery kits over the years. They do not have correct center caps as Halibrand provided false push-in knock-off style wingnuts with them. They also don't have any lug nut detail.

I'm using them on a current project hot rod and spent some time making them look better by stripping the thick plating off, installing nut detail from Grandt Line and adding the correct early wingnuts from the Halibrand wheels in Revell's Orange Crate. Here's the results!

2v29YCGa5xK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v29YCGcyxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v29YCG7dxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v29YCGVLxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v29nMcYFxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

B)

• Like 1